Your Own Personal Touch to a Favorite Food

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Von Jones, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When my sons were I use to bake a lot of cookies. I'd try different recipes from cookbooks, newspapers, and magazines. One day when I was shopping I came across a recipe on the container of Hershey's Cocoa for German chocolate cake, my favorite cake of all time:). It had different ingredients than my recipe but I thought I would combine the two. OMG! It was sooo scrumptious! I called it my Double Chocolate German Chocolate Cake. To this day my youngest son reminds me that I owe him one for his birthday:rolleyes:. I'll have to make him one when I visit them in Atlanta, GA.

Have you ever added your own personal touch to a favorite food or recipe?

2. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Well-Known Member
    Registered

I do add to recipes, especially when baking. I love to add coconut to things like cookies, cakes, muffins, etc. I also usually double the amount of vanilla. I found a great recipe the other day for Bran Muffins and added coconut, grated carrots, nuts, mini chocolate chips and dried cranberries. They were so good.

I also like to add veggies to casseroles and soups. I have a recipe for chicken that uses Cream of Chicken soup and I always throw in whatever veggies I have on hand, like onions, peppers, mushrooms, celery, carrots, corn, peas, broccoli.

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes I also like to add vegetables to casseroles and go wild with them in homemade vegetable soup and pot pies. It's fun being creative in the kitchen.

4. Betty Johnstone

Registered

I'm not big on baking but when cooking soups , I am always adding my own personal touch. To be honest, when I cook a soup, casserole or stir fry, its all about cleaning out the fridge, so I never know what I will be using. No recipe is ever the same twice in our household and thank goodness my hubby isn't a picky eater because the chicken or veggie soup I made last week will be totally different this week...lol

Richard Paradon likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

My wife doesn't like soups or stews much, so I cook a lot of them for myself. I find that I can more easily lose weight when I'm eating soup. However, I don't use anything that even remotely resembles either a recipe or a timer. I just add things that seem like they would go well together and am rarely disappointed. For soups, I find that it nearly always helps to add a generous dose of Quinoa to the base.

6. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Well-Known Member
    Registered

I also cook without a recipe, just open the refrig and start mixing. I also eat a lot of soup and can maintain my weight when I am eating soup. I make cookie and muffns from a mix but I add additional fibre and coffee to the mix to beef it up some. Most people do not realize the muffins came from a mix.

7. Kevin Matthew

Kevin Matthew Member
    Registered

I can't do it! I pretty much follow recipes to the letter... Which has been really confusing because lately I've been using a British cookbook, and they do everything by weight... so there I am in the kitchen trying to weigh 60 grams of sugar or 20 grams of salt... It's actually supposed to be more precise, but it's tough to do when you usually just use cups and tablespoons, etc...

8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I like to experiment with different ingredients. I've made banana pudding using Oreos instead of vanilla wafers. I've added cherry pie filling to vanilla pudding. I use various foods in different ways. It's fun and usually pretty tasty too..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I tend to improvise quite a lot, which I think stems from my years working in Africa as a volunteer. When you have a limited amount of vegetables and only the most basic of cooking equipment, you have to be pretty imaginative. These days, the range of vegetables and the cooking facilities are considerably broader, but I still tend to cook by instinct rather than anything else.

10. Val White

Val White Active Member
    Registered

If it doesn't have whoomf a dash of Tabasco sauce always works [​IMG]

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  11. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Well-Known Member
    Registered

I do not use cookbooks often unless I am trying to make a dish that I have no idea of. Most of my cooking is adlib and even the recipes I post here will never be cooked the exact way. "ADLIB" is the key ingredient!

12. Tom Locke

Registered

Visitors to Ethiopia and Eritrea should be very cautious when ordering the ubiquitous breakfast item, the egg sandwich. This is, essentially, a small omelette in an Italian-style bread roll. You may get a slice or two of tomato. What you are almost certain to get is a raw chilli tucked neatly out of sight. How many first-timers I saw fall for that one, I couldn't begin to count.

13. Richard Paradon

Registered

Love it Tom! When I was discharged from the Army, my best friend was about to go to VN, We decided to have one last fling, just in case. So off to Tijuana and tons of drinking and having a great time. Finally when we needed to go home, we hit a little diner and as usual, there were many glasses of hot sauce sitting on the counter. Before I could stop him, he ran to the "free tomato juice!" You can imagine the results!

Tom Locke likes this.
  14. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I grow Tabasco peppers. At times my evil brain is tempted to buy a jar of pimento stuffed olives and replacing the pimentos with Tabasco peppers. It'll never happen but I have some family members I'd like to see eating one. I often have these devilish thoughts. Maybe someday I'll actually go through with one.

15. Tom Locke

Registered

'Ouch' is the word I'm looking for. I am reminded of the time somebody removed their contact lenses, rather forgetting they had been chopping chillis a short while before.

16. Richard Paradon

Registered

I do not wear contacts, but have suffered many a CHILI OUCH in my eyes. Of course it was always due to someone telephoning or at the door that distracted me! :oops::oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O

Tom Locke and Sheldon Scott like this.
  17. Tom Locke

Registered

At least I didn't do what a friend of mine did once. He was staying in a hotel and forgot his lens case, so he put his lenses in a couple of tumblers of water and left these on the bedside table. Having got a bit drunk that night, he went to sleep and woke up feeling thirsty in the middle of the night. You can probably guess what happened next...

Richard Paradon and Val White like this.
  18. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't tried this yet, but I yesterday I had the bright idea to make Mr. & Mrs. Potato head, baked potatoes. I could use peas or half olives for eyes, a radish nose, a carrot sliver for a mouth, and a parsley beard. I will have to try it. ;)o_O
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  19. Val White

Val White Active Member
    Registered

Eating off street stalls has always been a culinary adventure and some of the best food I have ever tasted has been eaten from them. Slipping a chilli to an unsuspecting milk bottle gives the locals their amusement :D

20. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Active Member
    Registered

I have always like to experiment when cooking so do my sisters. I guess it was something we learn from our mother who was a good cook and taught us how to cook. Anyway, one thing that I make that my family likes is my own version of Menudo. I use can Menudo, and I add can chili and tamales either from the can or leftover frozen homemade ones. I mix these all together along with a half cut of instant rice in a slow cooker. Yes, this could be constituted as just opening cans, but I am mixing different things together that usually don't go together to make my own version of Menudo that is actually quite good if I may say so myself.

21. Richard Paradon

Registered

I probably eat about 30% of my food from the vendor carts. Very cheap and very delicious!

22. Val White

Val White Active Member
    Registered

Some street stalls are an entertainment in themselves. To attract customers having an artistic flair helps.

23. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am not the cook in the house so I will just post based on my husband's skill. One of the all time favorites in his menu is the cassava cake. It is not like the ordinary cassava cake that is sold in pastry shops. Instead of a secret ingredient, his secret is the simple ingredients. When he first baked that specialty snack food, I was teasing him that no one would dare eat it. But lo and behold, it was really that good.

The ingredients are cassava, coconut milk, young coconut, condensed milk and sugar. That simple. The only complexity is the procedure. So you can take a guess, hahahaaa.

24. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

I recall from one of your posts that the cassava plant produces edible roots. Is this the part used for the cake?

25. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You are right. Our cassava plant has edible roots 6 months after planting. But we harvest after 8 months so the tuber is big enough. One plant can produce 1 kilo of cassava tuber when grown properly. What's good in it is the freshness of the cassava makes for a soft texture that is apt for the cake. We actually bake cassava cake only when there is a harvest. And we seldom bake using cassava from the market because it is not fresh anymore.

Cassava is normally planted during the rainy season so you need not bother with the irrigation. When they are grown, it doesn't need much water and become self supporting. Cassava plants are normally planted in the mountains. But in our backyard, the plants are healthy because they are regularly irrigated.

Joe Riley likes this.