Your Opinion Is Needed Here.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Ina I. Wonder, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

With everything that has been going on in my life in the last year and a half, my visiting and posting has been sporadic. Sometimes I only have time to peek in on my favorite forum. I peek to try to keep up with what is going on with my friends. Then I start to feel guilty because I don't have time to reply, and that makes the non posting times longer.

So I was wondering if any of you would think that a thread for checking in would help those of us with the same problem. You know, an area for us to just post a short or long post to help the rest of the members have an idea of what is keeping us away at the time.

I am always wondering what is going on when all of the sudden, a friend has seemingly disappeared.

What is your opinion?

Allie Seay and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That could be done in the Personal Diaries section of the forum, or in any other part of the forum that might relate to whatever it is that you are going to say.

3. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

The Personal Diaries sounds like the best place for a check in thread Ina!

Just make sure to write down a good title and introduction for it, so other members not being able to post regularly know this is the place where you are going to stop by to say hello and say some words when posting regularly is not possible.

I'm also the kind of person missing people when they aren't around and wondering why of their absence.

Allie Seay likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Even if you don't have time (or thoughts) for a regular post; there is always the "status post" that you can use, @Ina I. Wonder .
    Take a hint from the old "Kilroy was here" signs, and just throw us a short blurb to say hi, or that you are busy, getting your toes done, working in the flowebed, or whatever.

(instructions for status post, if needed)
    1. click on your name at the top right hand corner of the page. This will take you to your profile page.

2. at the bottom of your profile page is a little box that says "update status".
    Post your short message there. It will show up on the main page and we will know that you have been here. (kind of like leaving a note on our door)
    Miss you.....sending hugs !

Diane Lane and Allie Seay like this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe we need a "Milk Carton" Thread?;)
    [​IMG]

6. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you Yvonne for that tip. That does sound like the easiest solution. I hope my brains stay together as well as your's have when I'm I get to your age . (That is only seven years away.) I did not know just how much my snap had dwindled until I had to rejoin the functioning world.

In '08, I was in the hospital for diverticulitis, and had to have emergency surgery. Even though I told them that I have had seizures since I was seven, after receiving a very large blood clot on my frontal lobe, and it was important that I keep up with my daily meds, they ignored that information altogether, and I lost my memory for two years, after three grand mall seizures.

About the time I got my memory and health back to a functioning level, my husband got ill, and I spent my time taking care of him, then our son became ill, and died, and Michael died December 30th. So I had spent all those years house bond.

Once I had to rejoin today's world, my lack of snap, and my deducing skills were glaringly obvious. So now I determined to building my processing skill back.

image.jpg

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm glad you brought this up, Ina. I'm very much the same. I'll be here for awhile and then suddenly I'm not around my laptop at all to do any posting. Or, I am around but way too busy to do anything much but drop in for a moment now and again to see what everyone else is up to. Yvonne's suggestion seems to be the best for me, too. I might even be able to handle a quick status post from our horse camp where my very slow smartphone gets a very weak signal.:)

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

This is a cute way of letting someone know they're missed. If y'all don't see me around for a while, it probably just means my health issues are acting up. They flare every so often, and I'll hibernate, since I'm usually sleeping, or otherwise not fit for human companionship.

Thanks, @Yvonne Smith, I never knew how to do that. On some sites, it seems to pop up and give me the option to edit, and I don't even see it on others, so I usually don't change mine.

9. Allison Schuck

Allison Schuck Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it would be a great idea to have a thread for just saying hi and maybe add a few lines to say what we are busy with in the outside world. I have seen those before on forums.

You could call it "The Seniors' Club Coffee Shoppe" or the drop in center, Hi,GoodBye, or whatever. Would be fun.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I think I know just the right person for the coffee shop, Allison ! @Joe Riley , why don't you open your little Coffee Shop again, and we can all come in and sit around and chat about what we are doing today, or thinking about doing ? ?
    The Halfway Cafe and Coffee Shop would be a perfect addition, maybe in the "happy area" of the forum. What do you say ?

Joe Riley and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  11. Lucy Brown

Lucy Brown Veteran Member
    Registered

I think that the coffee shop idea sounds good. Right now we are in the process of moving and I don't have very much time to spend here daily...:(

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Allison Schuck

Registered

Go for it Joe. I will drop in for a coffee every day....that is if you serve "virtual" calorie free Latte. YUM

[​IMG]

13. Allison Schuck

Registered

And maybe some 'virtual' calorie free butter tarts. YUM

[​IMG]

14. Lucy Brown

Lucy Brown Veteran Member
    Registered

OMGoodness...y'all are makin' me hungry. :rolleyes:

15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Boy, Yvonne, you sure know how to jar a guy awake...out of a deep sleep! The Cafe turned out to be half a good idea, and has since closed for the Summer. Most of my equipment is in storage, and I don't know if a business that gives a Senior Discount to 100% of it's customers can make it!;) Let me chew on it for awhile. ....maybe "HI-GOODBYE COFFEE"?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    Yvonne Smith likes this.