Your Knowledge Of Jazz, America's Contribution To Music

Discussion in 'Music' started by Maryt Hope, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Anyone remember George Shearing? .. The only jazz musician I ever saw live. At a little nightclub called The Frog and Nightgown in Raleigh, NC, 1970.. Also my first experience with brown-bagging. A very strange practice indeed. :rolleyes: What instrument did he play?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I hail from Jazz country, namely, New Orleans so jazz isn’t any stranger to me. I loved the old guys and orchestras mentioned but they were kind of a mixed bag between Swing, Jazz and easy listening.

Now, the artists that I really like are those that have brought the newer type of Jazz to the forefront and in most cases, can’t be confused with any other type of music because it’s all jazz but bridges on easy listening as opposed to what I call “tea room” Jazz.
    Artists like Stanley Jordan, Earl Klug, George Benson, Marsalis, Johnny Bashman, Jimmy Smith, Spira Gira and even Wes Montgomery have all broken the mold and are hard acts to follow.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

The Frog and Nightgown ? Me heart leapt when I saw that - thought you'd visited here !
    Used to sing in a pub called The Frog and Nightgown - such an unusual name - thought it was a one off
    :cool:

Nancy Hart likes this.
  4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Jazz is not all the same----There is MODERN JAZZ----PROGRESSIVE JAZZ----NEW ORLEANS JAZZ

5. Nancy Hart

Registered

@Patsy Faye : That's so interesting. Are you a singer!!? :cool: :cool: :)

I found this ...which probably explains the name choice:

"Peter Ingram — a scientist from England recruited to work in the newly formed Research Triangle Park (near Raleigh, NC) — opened the Frog and Nightgown, a jazz club, in 1968, and his wife Robin managed it. Don Dixon, a house bassist at the club who later gained fame as co-producer of REM’s first album, Murmur, says ‘It took a native Brit like Peter to not know that a jazz club wouldn’t work in 1968.’"

source

Was it this one?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

Nancy - you are totally amazing ! Didn't think I'd ever see that pub again ! (a little bit o tear now)
    Thank you so much :) My Paul can't believe his eyes either :cool:

I liked to get up and give a song but I also loved to write songs - just as a hobby. The main reason for going there was
    to hear the Frank Sinatra sing-a- like - he was truly amazing and that bus above would pull up and he would walk outside,
    still singing, up to the bus to finish his song to the audience on the bus - Ah - good times ……….
    Thank you again for my trip down memory lane xx

@Nancy Hart

7. Patsy Faye

Registered

I am so surprised at that quote Nancy - so wrong. Jazz was extremely popular in the 60s and beyond - jazz clubs and venues galore :)
    One of the most popular was Ronnie Scots - all the big names played there
    and Pizza on the ……….. Blast ! forgotten the last bit :p

Nancy Hart and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I am happy to see that once Lon opened the floodgates, more Jazz enthusiasts began responding!

But Lon is right...there are many categories and eras of Jazz. It started in NewOrlens, then migrated upriver to Chicago, where it became more energetic and became Dixieland, then grew into Swing after arrangers got into the act, like Fletcher Henderson.

Then came the Swing-oriented Big Bands, like Miller, Goodman, Shaw, Basie, Ellington and others.

Then came Kenton, with his "progressive" movements in large symphonic style compositions, using extreme dynamics and tone colors. My favorite of Stan's works is "Concerto To End All Concertos"!

Then came the "Cool School", with exponents such as Miles Davis, Stan Getz, Gerry Mulligan, Thelonious Monk, and frenetic "Be-Bop" stylists, such as Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker.

I have and listen to all eras of Jazz, from the "Two-Step" boys to the "Flatted Fifth" crowd.

Keep those replies and historic memories coming!

"Take it from the chorus and modulate to B-Flat at the Bridge..."

Hal

9. Nancy Hart

Registered

Are you saying Frank Sinatra himself sang at your Frog and Nightgown?

Well what does Don Dixon know anyway! :p .It was a very popular place at the time in Raleigh also, but I think it closed soon after I left there in 1975.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  10. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Sure, I remember George Shearing! He was a blind Englishman who played modern jazz piano...very sophisticated, but with the exploratory feeling of Modern Jazz.

His BBC radio program started with the announcer saying "You're hearing George Shearing!"

Hal

Nancy Hart likes this.
  11. Patsy Faye

Registered

I wish :cool: No - he sang Frank songs and sounded so like him, the passengers on the bus knew he would come out to them, it was
    well known - you have made my day !
    I did sing with a band for a while :p

Nancy Hart likes this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Registered

George Shearing wrote Lullaby of Birdland, in 1952

Shearing with Peggy Lee, 1959

Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

And your point is?
    I see that you are yelling a lot but you’re not saying anything in particular that I do not know. Dern Lon, I was raised on the stuff and at one time I was also recorded live at LaBrasserie. (Dixieland).

You see, I have met and in a few cases had drinks or dinner or served drinks or dinner with the likes of Lionel Hampton, Count Basie, Tommy Dorsey and his brother Johnny, Louis Armstrong, and many more. I just listed some of my preferences and the types of jazz musicians I prefer.
    I had two successful restaurants in the Quarter and Fats Domino and his son would often come in and play. Granted, Fats wasn’t touted as being a Jazz musician but the street knew him well and what he could do with the keys.
    Note: The “street” is a common word in New Orleans for those living and working in the French Quarter.

Trying to tell me what Jazz is is like telling Einstein that 1+1=2.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  14. Patsy Faye

Registered

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Bobby Cole - just read your earlier post and above - to say I'm impressed is an understatement - Go Bobby go ! :cool:

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.