Your High School Daze

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Hal Pollner, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

My high school days (1949-1954) were nothing much to remember, mainly because I was a social dud and never had the fun that high schoolers were supposed to have, because I was a shy introvert.

I did well academically, with A's and B's in the important subjects, including shops (metal, electric, and auto), but I got poor grade in sports, which I hated.

Although I was tall, fairly good-looking, and had a sense of humor, I was still a Social Zero, and never had the following experiences throughout my high school years:

Never had a Girl Friend
    Never dated a Girl
    Never attended a Dance
    Never attended a Football Game
    Never attended the Senior Field Day
    Never attended the Senior Ditch Day
    and worst of all:
    Never Attended The Senior Prom when I Graduated!

Girls would occasionally tease me and even kiss me in front of other classmates, which would really embarrass me, and the laughter of the others made it worse!

Thankfully, I grew out of that shell, and in my twenties, I was no longer the shy guy, and enjoyed the girls and attended parties and outings.

So how were your high school days?
    (This is my Graduation Picture)
    Hal

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      59.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I had fun in high school. Lots of fun memories from that time.

3. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I went to my 50th reunion; apparently I had a lot more fun in high school than I remember...……

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Is this true, @Hal Pollner or is this another tall tale?

Frank Sanoica and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I had an okay time in high school, but I was very busy. I worked jobs and took every advanced course I could get. My only free time was Friday evening, so I got to go to high school sports. I would not go back to those times, however, and I have only attended the 10-year reunion. I had lots of friends and girlfriends, and attended dances from 7th grade until I graduated if I could get the time off.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think I enjoyed high school more in retrospect than I did at the time. I had friends, including girlfriends, and was invited to parties, but high school was, in some ways, a confusing time. I wasn't as sure of myself in high school as I was in elementary school, where I knew where I stood with everyone and was comfortable with it. I did pretty well academically, but most of my friends didn't, so that might have been part of it. I didn't play or even pay attention to sports, but I attended most of the games, mostly to find someone else who wanted to ignore the game with me.

7. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

No@Don...it's true.

Hal

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

High School, well....……………… (what would that tell anyone?) LOL

9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I had two groups of male friends, the smart ones (mostly) and the active ones. With the smart ones , I did board games, bike hikes, and other activities of the mind. With the active ones, I did water skiing, fishing, snowmobiling, snow skiing, hunting, etc. I didn't have as much time to do the activities as most of my friends, as I had a job (or several) all through high school.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. William DeFox

William DeFox Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

To be popular and cool as a guy in my high school days in the 1960's, you had to be either a jock or a freak. Jocks took sports as life-and-death matters, and were willing to die on the playing field but never dreamed of studying for a test or seriously working on assignments. They were given large trophies at sports assemblies that we were made to attend in the name of "school spirit." Freaks had long hair, wore cutting-edge fashions, played air guitar, smoked and drank on the sly, and knew everything about the latest music and youth counterculture of the time. I concentrated on my grades, and was lonely and socially awkward...

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I went to school, studied and worked.
    Oh yeah, I did have a girlfriend but we rarely went out because she also went to school, studied and worked.
    I didn’t go to school functions not just because of my work ethic but partially because I’m a profound introvert and I do not like social events.
    I simply liked and still like studying and working.
    Boring and a no frills guy? Probably but I was and still am pretty comfortable with it.

Thomas Stearn and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I absolutely hated school.... but I did have lots of friends, and I was academically bright, and in a high stream at school, and very involved in sports.. but I was forced to leave school at 15 because my father wanted money from what I could earn.., so my education ended there. I wish in retrospect I;d been able to stay and get more qualifications life would have been easier in the beginning, .. but hey it wasn't all bad, like I say I detested the place anyway!!..

I don't keep in touch with anyone from school.. I did have a chat with a couple of my school ''best friends'' on FB some years ago.. but we have very different lives now, and nothing in common any more...so that didn't continue.

It's funny that high school should be mentioned here, I was looking on my sisters' FB this morning , and she's added our high school to her page for the first time in all these years..whereas I never have

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

My brother and I were a year apart(he older) in high school. He was more active socially. I was concerned with getting good grads because I knew I had to go to college because I was useless trying to do anything with my hands. He however was mechanically inclined and was really good at auto repair. Interesting sideline was he kept asking a particular girl to go on a date with him. She finally said ok provided he found a date for her friend. I ended up being the friend but I didn't get to go out with her girl friend. I got her and he switched. Short story. We both ended up marrying those girls a few years later. My brother was in the US AirForce based in Reykjavik Iceland and was going to be returning home on leave and leaving immediately for a base in California. So my girlfriend and I got married on June 13, my brother got married on June 20th, a cousin got married on June 27th, My then wife's older sister got married on July 11th. All of these occurred in 1959. Then my wife's father died and her younger sister got married to complete the year. My brother, myself and my wife's older sister were the only ones that stayed married and of those we are the only ones still alive.

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Responding:

Never had a Girl Friend------all through Jr High and High School
    Never dated a Girl----every day I had off work we did something
    Never attended a Dance----boring to me we rode horses instead or went hunting or fishing
    Never attended a Football Game---same as dance
    Never attended the Senior Field Day----same as dance
    Never attended the Senior Ditch Day----same as dance
    and worst of all:
    Never Attended The Senior Prom when I Graduated!----changed our minds and rode horses all night to another town and back, both of us left home all dressed up called parents to advise of change of plans and then 10 minutes later changing in barn, we both kept changes of clothes in my truck tool box. Same for Senior Trip. Others said they wished we had told them as they would rather gone with us. Weather was perfect, when we got back we slept and ate at her house with parents then went fishing taking her dad.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

My secondary school days were part of a deprived childhood spent rotting away in a strict boarding school run by the Masons. Unlike junior school which was based in the boarding school grounds we were at least allowed to attend an outside secondary school. This gave us a sense of freedom for several hours of each day. Being from a Mason run boarding school we were the butt of constant insults and ribbing. No only due to the fact that we were outsiders but that we had to wear our stupid old fashioned boarding school uniform. This got us into many skirmishes with the local boys. Have to say that on the whole secondary school for me was not all that enjoyable.

Thomas Stearn likes this.