Your Favorite Plant To Grow This Year?

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Charlene Marolf, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Did you see the youtubes on how to propagate roses? I haven't had success with them yet but will try again in the spring.
    Something that hardy needs to be 'out there'.
    Is that a Chrysler Imperial?

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have an 8' fence (non-electric) around the orchards, and the top 4' is orange plastic snow fence. Moose could easily jump it or push through it, but they are suspicious of it and leave it alone. The fence around my vulnerable garden is only 6' and electrified, as I cannot keep the moose out of the cabbage if I don't. Again, they could jump it but they don't. My friend with commercial orchards has 12' chain link around his place, and it is all reinforced, as the moose can push their way in and have even broken the gate latches to get in because they can see the trees and the fruit.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've thought of extending the top of the fence as it sounds like you did, but I was watching one of the Sunday morning gardening shows where the guest pointed out the trick of a fence-within-a-fence. Since I have a bunch of the wire left and it's cheap, it will be easy enough to drive in some short stakes for a single-strand perimeter and jump it to the juice.

edit to add: A guy around the corner from me always has the most gorgeous garden, and all he has is a perimeter of a single strand of wire about 2' above the ground with old t-shirts hanging from it. For some reason, the deer down where I am are less easily impressed.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Guess our dogs have always keep the deer away. Plus now people are moving in taking away their habitat so we don't see as many as we use to last month we haven't seen any. Lots of clearing going on in our area. It is sad no more fox,deer, coyotes,turkeys coons to speak of now.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

A developer bought the land just to the north of my farm, subdivided it and named it " Wild Life Acres ". All the lots are sold now and houses on each. What Was He Thinking?!

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Registered

He wasn't thinking. When we run out of wildlife I fear we humans won't have far to go ourselves.

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Sorry for getting off topic, but my favorite plant is a simple one like the Canna Lillies ,Confederate Rose, Umbrella Plants is easy too. I do throw some diluted beer on my roses now and then but,sadly been too busy to deal with roses.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My peony is actually going to blossom this year ! !
    I have had this plant for several years now, but it never got a good start before. This year, I put a tomato cage around when it first peeked up out of the ground, so it would not accidentally get mowed down again, and it just started really growing, and now it has buds all over it.

IMG_6329.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  9. Jenna Parnellson

Jenna Parnellson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I love peonies. They're just so beautiful! You're doing so well with them. :)

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

The flowers, they are pretty, I had to google to remember what they looked like,

[​IMG]

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.