Yogurt Surprise!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frank Sanoica, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife does digital grocery shopping weekly; a "plum" dangled as incentive is always some item "free". It was a tub of yogurt last week, Yoplait Custard Yogurt. She cannot eat it, too much sugar, so asked me to choose flavor: I chose Blueberry. 5.3 oz. container, Ingredients: Milk, Sugar, Corn Starch, Gelatin, Yogurt Cultures (three types), Vegetable Juice (for color), Natural Flavor..

Today, I opened and ate the damned stuff. Nice, smooth texture, no berries, pretty sweet. Then I read the label.

PRODUCED WITH GENETIC ENGINEERING

In small letters, at the very bottom, of course. I was irate! What in those ingredients might likely be genetically modified? I am at a loss here, and disgusted to find such modification being done in widespread fashion.

Frank

Krystal Shay and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeah, I see that a lot. Sometimes it's on the bottom of the package, where people are unlikely to see it. My understanding is that, while one or two states might require labeling, there is no national requirement to even inform consumers that a product has been genetically modified so, unless the package specifically says that it is non-GMO, it may well have been genetically modified. Maine passed a law requiring labeling but it isn't set to take effect until five (I think it was five) other states have passed a similar law, otherwise manufacturers would simply refuse to ship their products to Maine since we have a low population, anyhow. I don't know about yogurts, but Haagen-Dazs ice cream is non-GMO, and that is the only brand we have in our local grocery store that makes that claim. Others state that they have been produced with genetic engineering, while others say nothing.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Since vegetables and grains are what seems to be the most often genetically modified, it seem like these might be the likely culprits. Sugar either comes from sugar beets or sugar cane, corn is a grain, and vegetable juice comes from some kind of veggie, presumably. So just about everything in there except what should actually BE in yogurt (milk and yogurt cultures) could have been modified.
    Some of this can be avoided by only buying fresh foods, or making your own; but even when we buy fresh grain or veggies; some of that has been modified. I think that corn is the most often modified grain; but also wheat and rice are doubtful as well.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I just got back from the store and although I'm not a yogurt fan, I went and looked at the yoplait, since I knew what I was looking for it, I found the gmo easily.

I did buy 5 different brands of yogurt, it was 10 for $10 at Safeway, no yoplait but I might have gotten one that might be GMO...just because it looked good.

I usually buy the Greek yogurts because I go for the most protein and they had some neat new flavors but judging by past experience they never taste like what they say they will, so I end up throwing them out.

I'll have maybe one or two and the rest will end up garbage....I just don't like yogurt.

My diet is fairly healthy, probably healthier than most peoples so I'm not worried about the GMO.

Just tried one that was called carrot cake creation by chobani...doesn't taste like anything. :(

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  5. Ken Anderson

I get a taste for yogurt once in a while, and will eat it often for a week or so, and then I won't want anymore for several months.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It's just always disappointing for me...all these great sounding flavors, I get excited and buy it and then it just tastes like yogurt.

Yogurt ice cream is good though....I buy Greek yogurt ice cream bars...think yoplait makes them or Grasso but
    They taste too good so only get them occasionally.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

I do not like Greek yogurt, and Icelandic yogurt is even worse, so I stick with the Yoplait or Dannon stuff. I tried the Icelandic yogurt once and was afraid I was going to throw up. It was nasty.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

This is my favorite yogurt, Greek Gods Honey Vanilla. It's yummy, especially with a handful of berries and a sprinkle of granola or Grape Nuts cereal mixed in.

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Greek Gods is a great brand of yogurt, and the honey vanilla one is delicious for sure ! I usually buy the plain yogurt (no added sugar), and mostly I get either the Walmart or Aldi Greek yogurt, and it tastes as good to me as the Greek Gods or FAGE does.

I just saw something about Icelandic yogurt, @Ken Anderson . Now I am going to have to go back and read more about it. Besides that you didn’t like it, what was the comparison to regular yogurt ? I think it said that it was called Skyr, or something similar.

Beth Gallagher likes this.