Yard Sales...

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Sarah Price, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

I think I had my last yard sale this past weekend. They are a lot of work and in my town, where most people don't have much money, the payoff is not that great. I price my things REALLY low; I'm practically giving things away and I still have a garage full of things that did not sell. I paid someone to move a lot of heavy things in my house to prep for the sale and my sales did pay for that plus a little more. I was hoping for much better though.

I think in the future I will try consignment shops, Amazon, Etsy or eBay...

2. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Yard sales sound exciting when one is getting ready to have one, but as the day goes by on the sale day, they might be truly frustrating and yet not making all the money needed.

Definitely trying eBay, Amazon or Etsy are good alternatives along with consignment shops, but I would also consider publish a classified ad to advertise each of the items separately.

This way if someone is interested for whatever you are selling, they will ring your phone or email you to learn more and close the deal, if this is what they were looking for.

I have sold more items through individual-item posts on classified ads that using any other sales method.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I hated it when we had yard sales. Hauling all that stuff out there, sitting out there talking to people who are haggling over pennies, then hauling everything that didn't sell back in. When my wife wasn't there, I'd sometimes tell people to take something else for free, along with their purchase, just so that I didn't have to haul it back in again. I much prefer selling that stuff on eBay.

4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We've only had two yard sales. Both were to get rid of unwanted item rather than for the money. Now there are several online yard sales in our county, plus Craig's list in another county. I've sold a few items online and gave away more.
    It's hard to sell more expensive items at a fair price either way.