Wow! No Shopping Carts Thread?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Neville Telen, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I think we're talking about different shopping trolleys here Cody...the ones here are for taking into the stores.. loading up at the till, and then wheeling home if you live close enough to the stores or the mall, which I don't... so I'd have to load all my shopping from several stores to prevent me carrying everything , then try and lift the heavy weight into the car which is very difficult.. and painful on my back..

81Wn5WuNQ0L._SY450_.jpg

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Registered

I don't have a garage CC...

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

If I didn't then I would need a cart to bring in my water... maybe. The street is probably two car lengths away.

I don't have a basement though, so even though I have a 3 car garage, only one car fits because all my junk is in the garage...

I'd take a pic but it's a disaster :)

4. Holly Saunders

Registered

Exactly the same here.. which is why it's so heavy to bring all the shopping in. I could order my shopping online, all supermarkets do home deliveries, but I like to choose my own sell by dates, and feel and see the fruit, veg and meat myself..

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry - I meant the supermarket trolley, taken to your car and unloaded

6. Holly Saunders

Registered

Yep I do that, if I'm simply going to the supermarket and nowhere else ( still gotta get it all into the house when I get back of course)... ..but if I'm going to the Mall ( lakeside etc ).. or somewhere similar like the high street and loads of shops to get shopping from, then the car park is a long way away and as you know if I was walking around lakeside with bags from several shops they are very heavy, so a trolley seemed the answer, but then of course it gets too heavy to lift into the car.. viscous circle..

7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Yea true, vicious circle
    We need to invent a self lifting trolley !

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since most of what we buy for groceries is fresh veggies and some fruit, I usually shop ever day or two, also. If I only have a little bit to bring in, then I just carry it in; but usually @Bobby Cole will come outside and carry in most of the bags if I have more than 1-2 of them.

As an interesting side note....... out here, shopping carts are called “buggies”, which still makes me chuckle. I guess that a cart and a buggy are pretty close to the same thing originally, but still it seems odd.
    Almost everywhere else except in the deep South, they are called a shopping cart, whether it is a small portable one like is being discussed in this thread, or the large ones we use in the stores.

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ive only known them as shopping carts in all the states Ive lived in. The sign in the parking lot says "Cart Return" or return carts here.

Ive never really been in the south though...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The reason I like the plastic grocery bags, that have been outlawed in some states, is that I can carry as many groceries as we buy into the house in one trip. Sometimes I feel like my fingers are going to fall off but I hate making two trips to the car.

Funny thing is, those plastic bags put all but two of the paper bag manufacturing companies in the United States out of business. The environmentalists were calling for the plastic bags in order to save trees. I know, because I worked for a paper bag manufacturer who shut down all of its paper bag plants during that time, then went to work with one of the two that survived.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

They're still available here but they're a thicker plastic and you have to pay for them...,think maybe 10 cents?

But I never have more than a bag at a time...max is two bags and that's rare.

I do have tons of the plastic bags though because I always forget to take them back in the store. :(

I would say I go to the store about 5 days a week. I alternate between Trader Joe's and Safeway.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When we go to the bag free places like Alde's or Sam's, we carry along a couple of purse like totes that are made to fit inside of the cart and latch onto the top of both sides of the cart. They stretch and hold a great amount of heavy products and when we load them into the car, there are two handles on them that make it much easier to remove from the cart. Kind of like a plastic shopping bag or a big purse with a serious attitude.
    I am not sure but I think Ina gave them to us and they've lasted all of about 4 or so years now.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Holly Saunders

Registered

Job for Paul...Patsy ...I'm sure he'd be smart enough to invent one... :D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Registered

Ype they charge 5p for a plastic bag here..or 10p or 20 p for stronger ''bags for life'' which ostensibly means if it breaks at any time they will replace it free of charge. I don't know a single person whose ever taken a Bag for Life back to be replaced. They do say that almost 3/4 of all plastic carrier bags sold previous to the charge are now not being used and people are using either the Bags for life or their own Cloth Bags.. I'm like you @CC I've got a cupboard full of 5p plastic bags as well as lots of 'bags for life' and STILL I forget more times than not to take them into the store so I have to buy more . Like you Ken I used to pick up all the heavy bags and felt like my fingers were going to be cut off by the weight, but since I've had the tendinitis in my shoulders I can't lift more than one bag at a time, so I've got to make several trips back and forth to the car. By the time I go to put everything away , my hands are literally shaking.

One of our major discount Clothing stores has always used paper bags with handles, they're surprisingly strong, and they are free ..

15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I hate plastic bags...only good for trash and dog poo:)