Would You Move To Another Country For $250,000 And Give Up Your Citizenship

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I would because giving up my citizenship would not affect my retirement benefits or investments.
    I would choose to go back to New Zealand where I spent some years of my retirement.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In a way, I can understand that response Lon because you are definitely a money oriented person.

If I were to give up my citizenship to a country I love so much there had better be more involved than a measly 250K.

For instance: Enjoying every right as outlined in the Constitution of the United States without the slightest chance of ever losing it.
    And as a sign on bonus, an 8 figure check as opposed to your 6 figure proposition might clinch the deal.

Now, knowing that my demands would never transpire under any condition, I think I’ll stay right where I’m at and where my ancestors fought for me to be at.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Registered

I too love my country and served it well for four years of my life. Love of country has nothing to do with citizenship. I am only interested in money as a means of survival.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No, I would not.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'd feel as though I were turning tail. That's one reason I've not left this left-lurching state I'm in...I don't like ceding ground.

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Dunno Lon but it would be your choice as a free man.
    It just seems a little off balance to say that one would give up their birthright for 250K when you could live in New Zealand without giving up anything except possibly if someone else catches CV and they lock the country back up again.
    Now, if you were a bit younger Lon, Australia and I believe New Zealand also had programs for hard working people from the U.S. They’d get a tract of land and after improving it over a period of time the land would be theirs.
    Sort of similar to the plan the Nevada BLM set up that I and my son’s mother took advantage of several years ago. I digress.

Now, let’s get this right. Give up one’s citizenship for 250K, then move to a country where the average house costs around 850K. Not a very equitable trade.
    Average assisted living is around $1,200 per week and anything extra is added to the cost.
    Note: No medicare in New Zealand (like in Australia) and just about all services are out of pocket unless ya have a great insurance policy.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  7. Lon Tanner

Registered

Sorry---I'm just bored and not thinking. I don't need money and have no interest in moving any where. I have lived in NZ and know it well. I was just curious as to what other people would do.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

"what other people" (did) ( a few) >>
    Gave up everything. Shared all things in common. Desired not the things of the world. Always did what was best for others. Considered others as more important needs than their own.

"Philippians 3
    "I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to Him in His death,

"and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize of God’s heavenly calling in Christ Jesus.

"All of us who are mature should embrace this point of view. And if you think differently about some issue, God will reveal this to you as well. 16Nevertheless, we must live up to what we have already attained.17Join one another in following my example, brothers, and carefully observe those who walk according to the pattern we set for you. 18For as I have often told you before, and now say again even with tears:

"Many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.

"Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and their glory is in their shame. Their minds are set on earthly things.

"But our citizenship is in heaven, and we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ,

"who, by the power that enables Him to subject all things to Himself, will transform our lowly bodies to be like His glorious body."

9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

No, of course not.

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

That’s okay, everyone gets bored and in your present circumstance you probably get bored pretty often so thinking of places and events that once exited you isn’t a bad thing.

11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner

Currently, something like 5000 or so US citizens permanently leave the US annually. They may or may not renounce US citizenship. Some maybe citizens of "other".

The contents of every single piece of US mail sent out of our country must now be carefully detailed in both description, value, and reason sent on special forms provided by USPS. No exceptions. Even sending greeting letters to my nephew in the Marine Corps. while stationed in Okinawa required the forms be filled out. By filling out the form, one expressly gives permission to the Carrier to open and inspect contents. Jail time is provided for knowingly omitting or falsifying information. If you are sending funds, cash, deeds to property, deposits to foreign banks, special procedures and limits are in effect.

Much of this new hoopla may be attributed to John Ashcroft's clever but treasonous construction of the "Patriot Act".

Frank

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think there are about 25,000 expats living in Costa Rica. It seems to be a popular destination. My sister had a friend who bought land and built homes to sell to Americans retiring there.

Mexico is the most popular foreign destination, being home to 1,000,000 Americans (total population 130 million.) I guess being able to drive back to your home country holds certain advantages.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.