Would You Fly to Watch an Eclipse of the Sun?

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

An airline in Russia is offerering tourists a unique view of the solar eclipse on March 20th of this month. They will be flying over Norway and in the areas where the eclipse can best be seen from.
    The cost of the 4-hour fight is going to be $165, which actually seems pretty reasonable to me for a flight that long.
    The flight has already started taking reservations for astronomers and journalists, and then will fill the flight with anyone else who wants to go.

http://sputniknews.com/news/20150303/1019002606.html

2. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

I have seen them in the States using an apparatus that protected my eyes, but I don't think it was spectacular enough to fly to see one.

3. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I would much rather watch an eclipse from the ground. My memory of a partial solar eclipse is that the daylight turned into something more like moonlight and where light from the crescent sun filterered through the leaves it cast thousands of small crescents of light on the ground.

I would like to experience a full solar eclipse to see how birds and animals respond to the darkness.

4. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Nah, while I have always been really interested in space and space phenomena, I never found solar eclipses interesting. In fact, whenever there is one visible, I just ignore it, as I find them really boring.

This probably comes from when I was a child. I remember my family hyping up the upcoming solar eclipse, and I was so excited to see one! Then, when it happened, it was so underwhelming that I got really bummed.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was reading that they are warning people in the UK not to try and look at the eclipse as they are driving home. It will be at least a two hour process, and happens to come right as rush hour traffic from people going home from work is also happening.
    Since there will be so many people out in their vehicles as the eclipse transpires; authoritites are concerned that people driving home will look at the eclipse while driving and be blinded.

6. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

If I had the money, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm always up for new and interesting experiences. I think that's what makes life so enjoyable. I have a tremendous sense of adventure - and a "why not?" attitude. When I first saw the headlines of a solar eclipse, I was so excited, then I saw that it was going to be over Scotland - not the US - boo.

Unfortunately, right now, money is extremely tight, so something like that would be out of the question for me.

7. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

In fact it would be a great experience, but I don't think that I would risk so much to watch just/or that much
    to see that eclipse of the sun, I can always watch it on some documental films.

8. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

But there's such a huge difference between seeing something in real thing - in 3D with all of your sense - and seeing it on film. No matter how good the film maker or photographer is, they can't capture the whole "experience" of something like this.

9. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

I've never really been interested in seeing an eclipse. In fact I always try to stay indoors when there is one as I don't want to risk damaging my eyes. I'd rather see the photos of it that are taken by professional photographers who get magnified views which show the most spectacular aspects. I'd be unlikely to see those if I went out to watch it myself.