Would You Ever Take In A Roomer/tenant?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Arlene Richards, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha!! Finally found something that makes us different...:D... I definitely Would say something...I couldn't take anyone making a mess in my house...Noooooooo...they would definitely know I wasn't going to accept it...

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have talked about a similar thing; but it would be to find one of the large older houses that have the beautiful Victorian style that @Bobby Cole and I both love so much. Many of those have been turned into a duplex or even a triplex, maybe similar to what @Ken Anderson started out with.
    Since they are older homes, they have the large verandas around the outside, and often, a large yard.
    What we would do is keep the bottom floor for ourselves (and the yard, of course), and then find acceptable tenants for the other apartment(s).
    The rent from the other apartments would pay our house payment, ar at least a good bit of it, and we would still have the privacy of having our own home.
    Of course, we would have to get used to people living up above us; but if we were careful in tenant selection, then that might not be a big issue.

Right now, my daughter lets us live in her rental home , and we take care of everything, and have been doing work on the house and property for her.
    When she sells it, it should be worth quite a bit more than when we moved in. Right now, the housing market is still pretty trashed here; so she is better off to let us live here and take care of the house than to sell it for what it would bring on the sale market.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes Holly, I'm very different in that way. I will be fuming on the inside but wouldn't say anything. I might make a big deal about cleaning it up, slamming things harder than they should be, etc maybe even muttering under my breath about pigs but I'd let it go.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

On another forum I go to (more of an advice type forum) a woman complained because her tenant left dishes in the drainer too long (2 days) and filled the toilet paper holder with generic brand, AND left junk mail on the dining room table. Gasp!

These are not things usually covered in a lease/rental agreement and if they were I’d think the landlord was goofy and say “….ummm…I think I’ll keep looking. Bye!”

Chrissy Cross and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Arlene Richards

Registered

Nothing passive-aggressive about that! :D.....(just messing with ya, Chrissy....)

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Are you describing a situation where the person was a tenant with her own part of the house , or was this a share-house situation ? To me, that makes all of the difference in the world.
    If someone is sharing your home with you, then you have a right to set pre-stipulated rules about not leaving dishes in the sink/drainer, or even the type of TP you prefer; but if this person was renting a part of the house where they had their own privacy, then the landlord should not even be SEEING what kind of TP you are using, let alone complaining about it.

I agree with everyone else that just having someone living with you in your own home is not good, and something to be avoided if at all possible, even when it is a relative.
    If there is a needful situation and you have to help some one on a temporary basis, that is one thing; but just to have a room-mate, I would not want to do that unless it was someone that I was very sure that I could live with comfortably.

Chrissy Cross and Ruby Begonia like this.
  7. Arlene Richards

Registered

@Yvonne Smith - Hi, it was a year or so ago but as I recall the woman owned a house and rented a room with kitchen and laundry privileges to another woman. There was one shared bathroom. She sdmitted that she started off with a loosey-goosey agreement (cleanup after yourself, etc.) and it was verbal - nothing in writing.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I was thinking this over some more. If I found someone who was very neat and clean, non drinker, non smoker, non illegal drug user than maybe but then I thought some more and probably not even then.

In a house you share, you will hear most noises so that might bother me too. Fact is I've lived alone a long time now and am set in my ways.

I would take someone in to help them out for a short period of time if that was the case but I know I would be counting the days til they left.

@Arlene Richards, I probably am passive aggressive. :)

Anyone wanting to visit me is more than welcome! :)

Ruby Begonia and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

The previous owners of our house did the room for rent thing. I found the signs in the carriage house. I thought about it once or twice but decided I would only help out my children if the need arises. Although I do keep in mind to rent out our house sometime down the road. I think it would be better than selling.

10. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

My 8 year old granddaughter tells me that she is planning to move in with me sometime in the future. ... and she wants me to be sure to leave the house to her..
    That's planning! :)

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

On the flip side, I am the perfect house guest. I don't inconvenience anyone in any way, and I help out as much as I can without stepping on toes or intruding. This is why my family is always wanting me to visit.:)

13. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I did several times back in the '90s with no problems, I did consider it in my present house a few years ago, but then my younger daughter Cathy and her son came to live me, so I am virtually the lodger now ;) I don't feel I need a house any more and when I am not with Lisa or travelling, I would be happy living in a small hotel or a B&B.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wife and I wouldn't say "absolutely not", because if her brother need a place to stay, we'd definitely offer it. He has never lived with us, but we do get along great with him. He will be 65, this coming June. Actually, my wife was totally surprised at how he got along with me.......surprised and very happy.

But, for anybody else, very, very doubtful and close to a "no".

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm the "perfect house guest" as long as whomever is living there likes a humorous and "talkative" person! Being quiet only happens when I'm sick or on the computer reading something.

Bonnie Thomas likes this.