Would You Change Your Way Of Eating If It Gave You Better Health?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As in many things, people focus on what other people do rather than on what they should do for themselves.
    I keep seeing, hearing and reading about people who will not do something which might be good for them but do not because of what they think others might say or how others might look at them.

Mickie D has lines of people because it’s a popular and easy thing to do. People buy products because of fads and whatever just to be what looks like a socially acceptable thing to wear or eat.
    How really terrible is it that someone should wear a cowboy hat and sport tennis shoes at the same time?
    How bad is it that a guy at the gym is lifting 20# instead of a macho 150?
    The truth is, only a true twinkie would have something to say about it. The facts are that people who do good things for themselves and pay little attention to a childish ego are healthier, more physically fit and will probably live a much longer and a care free life than someone who believes that another’s less than informed opinions or what they do really matter.

Eat, wear and do those things that are actually good for you and not because of what someone else does or doesn’t do with their life.

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I already did. I gave up eggs because they said they raised your cholesterol . Ate mostly cereal instead.
    I gave up butter because they said it raised your cholesterol. Used margarine instead.
    I gave up frying with lard because they said they raised your cholesterol . Used Crisco instead.
    I gave up whole milk because they said it raised your cholesterol and made you fat . Used skim milk instead.

Now they say eggs are extremely nutritious and healthy. You can have one every day.
    Turns out that margarine is much worse for you than butter.
    They say don't fry with hydrogenated fats like Crisco. It's bad for you.
    They say whole milk has more nutrients than skin milk.

Quote:
    In an editorial in the journalJAMA Pediatrics, Ludwig and nutrition expert Dr. Walter Willett, chair of the department of nutrition and epidemiology at Harvard School of Public Health, argue that there is actually little data to support the idea that skim and low-fat milk lead to better health outcomes than whole milk. End quote

So, Ladies and gentlemen, for your education and erudition, I ain't givin' up nothin' else.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Boy, this thread is getting interesting! @Yvonne Smith, aspartame has been known to be bad for you from the time it was approved by the FDA. I assume Big Pharma (Eli Lilly, I think) paid for "expedited processing", in essence a bribe, to get it released onto the market. It caused brain abnormalities in young children during the clinical trials but was approved anyway. It has been shown to have neurotoxic properties since. I have found it really amusing that the very people who think high fructose corn syrup (~ 55% fructose) is poison gladly gulp down agave syrup, which is 85% fructose (https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/agave-nectar-is-even-worse-than-sugar). Even honey has a lot of fructose in it, but it has trace amounts of nutrients as well. According to studies I have read, fructose requires glucose to be absorbed, so if you don't have a balance, much of the fructose remains in the gut, causing a bacterial "bloom' which is unhealthy. Fortunately, sucrose is a disaccharide that is 50% glucose and 50% fructose, thus providing the balance and being the "ideal" sweetener, unless you are using pure glucose (dextrose), which isn't as sweet as sucrose.

@Shirley Martin said "

I already did. I gave up eggs because they said they raised your cholesterol . Ate mostly cereal instead.
    I gave up butter because they said it raised your cholesterol. Used margarine instead.
    I gave up frying with lard because they said they raised your cholesterol . Used Crisco instead.
    I gave up whole milk because they said it raised your cholesterol and made you fat . Used skim milk instead.

Now they say eggs are extremely nutritious and healthy. You can have one every day.
    Turns out that margarine is much worse for you than butter.
    They say don't fry with hydrogenated fats like Crisco. It's bad for you.
    They say whole milk has more nutrients than skin milk."

That about sums it up. Unless you have double-blind, controlled studies to back it up, don't believe what you hear concerning diets, cholesterol, etc. In fact, the first (as far as I know) study that busted the egg--cholesterol myth was one in which several thousand healthy people were asked to participate and divided into (I think) 4 groups, eating no eggs, 2 eggs, 4 eggs, and 8 eggs daily for a period of time. At the end of the study, the baseline cholesterol levels of all 4 groups was the same. Egg intake had no effect on blood total cholesterol at all. I don't remember if they did any kind of fractionation for this study, as it was years ago, but it began the skepticism concerning diet and cholesterol levels. I knew many people who gave up every food they loved thinking it was prolonging their lives when it did nothing of the kind and perhaps actually shortened their lives.

I have many theories of my own, which will never be proven or disproven due to lack of funding--and lack of ambition on my part. Do what you think is best and reasonable for you, and if it makes you feel better, that is the best recommendation of all.

4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I would rather deal with the whey based protein but in a pinch, I’d have to shrug my shoulders and do the soy thing.
    There is only a small deterioration of production of testosterone in men but a good workout employing the larger muscle masses or simply having a good diet of some of the veggies I mentioned is a pretty good offset.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yeah, that 7 or 8 nation survey of 1989 or so was found to be a bunch of horse hockey. Walter Mondale was at the head of it and like good ole Al Gore, made a bundle by starting a bogus crisis.

Whatever comes across the pike, my wife and I do a tremendous amount of research in order to validate or disprove any claims that have to do with good health.
    Since I’m addicted to bodybuilding, my favorites are always the instant fat loss ads coupled up with the “fast muscle” ads.
    It’s funny (not ha-ha funny) but the ads always call for exercise and a good diet to go with whatever they’re selling.
    I do enhance my diet with a myriad of supplements but it’s only because I’d have to eat a ton of some foods in order to have the desired effect. i.e. broccoli is a good source of boron but even if the soil it was grown in was rich in the element I would still have to eat about 3 lbs of broccoli a day to get enough boron to make any difference in regard to free testosterone.

Which brings up another subject concerning trace elements and how much is readily available because our soil is so badly depleted and over farmed. But that’s probably in another thread already or going to be in the near future.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Amen Shirley to that one!

7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I know - enough to drive you ……………….
    upload_2018-7-17_9-48-53.jpeg I'm used to semi skinned now and gave up butter years ago :rolleyes:

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

An honest answer to the question would be no, I probably would not. Perhaps if I were to somehow be persuaded that my health would remain good as long as I remained on the diet, I might be able to, but I don't know that I could believe that. I have tried several diets, most of which had good results for the first few months. Typically, I lost a lot of weight in the first month or two, and I feel better. In the third or fourth month, although I am remaining on the diet, everything just comes to a stop. After a couple of months of maintaining a diet that seems to no longer be working, I start cheating and, after a couple of months of cheating, I give it up and gain all the weight back; not immediately, but eventually.

Instead, I avoid most junk foods, and rarely give into temptations that involve candy, potato chips, or that sort of thing. I do occasionally eat ice cream, but only the organic, non-GMO sort, which, of course, is actually good for me because, after all, it's organic. Plus, a pint will last me a few days rather than a few minutes.

I don't do a lot of snacking between meals and I no longer feel as if I need to finish everything that is on my plate. The result is that I am holding at a weight that is represented by a number that is larger than I would like, but I am not continually gaining weight.

Bobby Cole and Beatrice Taylor like this.
  9. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Breaking free from the clean plate club is a huge step in the right direction!!!

Two other little tips that have helped me:

I try to stop eating when I'm satisfied and not continue eating until I'm full.

If the food is not absolutely fantastic don't bother with it just walk away.

I still feel bad when I waste food but it's cheaper to toss a few things into the garbage than it is to pay for heart bypass surgery!

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I do that one. If I have to put ketchup on it in order to make it taste good, I don't need the calories. Even with the ice cream, well aware of the calories in ice cream, I am not going to spend them on mediocre ice cream.

Beatrice Taylor and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

The one most singularly unpopular four letter word in the entire English language is probably the noun......diet.
    It brings about connotations of, “being without, denying oneself and even the word, abstinence which has all the extra markings of not only doing without food, but the other human favorite pastime of having sex.

In a world whereby all things PC has given the name of sanitation engineer to the garbage collector, extinguisher of thermodynamic events to the fireman and even psychotherapudical mixologist to the bar tender, there must be another word for the common diet.

Perhaps nutritional readjustment, fat cell reassignment period, weight fragmentation daily procedures, or perhaps a pretend college course called MFITB (my fanny is too big) management.

Nothing says “I can’t” or “I won’t “ like the word diet so if by chance the reader if this sorry synopsis is in agreement, perhaps there are other words that might fit your predicament so as to allow you the pleasure of changing your lifestyle without going on a “diet”.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Nathaniel Roswell

Nathaniel Roswell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, I would definitely change it if that would bring goodness to my health. It's just a matter of willingness.