Would You Change Your Way Of Eating If It Gave You Better Health?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is a subject that we have touched on several times in the health section of the forum. Some of us have already made changes in our lifestyle and diet, and others have said that they enjoy what they eat and would never change, no matter what it did for them.
    I started changing my diet after the heart procedure, because I felt like I actually had a chance to improve my health and my life if I would just take batter care of my body.
    I wanted my heart to have the very best chance of healing, so I started learning about anti-inflammatory foods, as well as the inflammatory foods, and gradually over the last few years, I have been slowly making diet and lifestyle changes.
    After reading a lot about a whole food, plant-based diet, and how it can not only improve your health now, but even help to undo some of the damage that was done to my body before from not taking good care of it, I am transitioning into a plant-based lifestyle.
    I still eat eggs and dairy, but limited amounts, and the whole change went much easier than I expected it to do.
    I really like it, and feel much better now, even though I expected that it would be hard for me to get used to not being an omnivore and eating meat every day.

I still eat basically the same kinds of foods that I have always enjoyed, I just prepare them differently now. Tacos are made with beans instead of beef, and if I use a tortilla, it will either be a flax/chia one, or whole wheat.
    My cheeseburger deluxe is now a “beanie-burger”, and (surprisingly) it tastes just as delicious to me as the old ones made with hamburger did.
    Eating this way has almost stopped my back and leg pain from arthritis, and degenerative disks in my spine. Since I am not 100% plant-based, I still eat foods that are inflammatory sometimes, and I can usually feel the difference.
    If I couldn’t tell the difference in how I feel, I would not persist; but I can tell the difference. So, I wanted to just bring this topic up for everyone to weigh in on, and say why you would or would not change diet and lifestyle if you could see a noticeable improvement in your health ?

Holly Saunders and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, no doubt, I would, did.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Hard for me to do - I don't like eating plants
    But - I have changed my diet for sure, cut down on sugar, no more fatty food either. I'm just more aware
    and do give my diet more thought than I used to

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have come to the firm belief that foods-any of them eaten out of moderation is going to "get cha" one way or another;).
    There are some things I stay away from if at all possible - high fructose corn syrup for one-only because the item already has sugar in it and this culprit is just more sugar.
    use to be addicted to diet cokes many years ago, broke myself from that, when after using the process of elimination, discovered that Aspartame is a killer for joints and
    overall crappy feelings. I do not use any sweeteners except sugar or honey anymore- oh except i will use Stevia on occasion.
    Do not faint at this, but i was raised on pinto beans,cornbread and stewed potatoes..they bean juice they gave me at 3 weeks old!! Oh, the horror, the child abuse of that act:eek:. To this day beans and potatoes are my favorite.
    I like meat, a good rib eye is wonderful, but about 4-5 oz is usually enough-vs the 10 to 12 my hubby eats.We do not eat those often. We do meat more 93 percent lean hamburger than any other meat, because its cheap and i can make 2 melas from one pound most of the time.
    I love fish, however will only like if caught and or raised in the US. And the shrimp most come from the gulf ! Unfortunately, except for the shrimp, i like it fried the best.
    Think i am getting off the main of idea here- yes have made changes, none I fear that will add longevity but enable us to do better while still here. :)

5. Patsy Faye

Registered

Just to add - eat very little meat now and more fish instead
    I like the meat free burger - made with soya protein (I think)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I had to.
    If I want a 31” waist, 22”arms and a 50” chest, consuming the wrong foods is as detrimental as wearing a pair of flip flops is to a person in a long distance run. It isn’t just a matter of “its hard to do” but rather it’s nearly impossible to do.
    Even if a more massive muscle structure wasn’t my main concern, my mental health is directly connected to my diet AND my ability to involve physical exercise so a correction in diet wasn’t just something trendy to do but mandatory.

7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Did you get a 31 inch waist ? :confused:

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Not yet. But I did go from only being able to wear 4X overalls to a men’s 33 or 34.
    The stomach muscles will not have much to do with my waist size getting down to the magic number but I might have to settle on a 32” because the obliques (love handle area) are getting larger. Even if after all the extra fat is removed and if the muscle structure warrants it and I have to settle for my present 33-34, I’ll still be happy but only because it’s muscle and not fat.

9. Patsy Faye

Registered

That's great Bobby !

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I've gradually changed my eating habits for several reasons.

I've replaced most of the expensive food and beverages that don't give me a large BANG for my money anymore.

I've also tried to eater lighter and healthier in an effort to help me maintain my independence for as long as possible.

In some ways, a plant-based diet is just easier for me than my old traditional diet.

When I get closer to the finish line I may just say to hell with it and eat what I please, LOL!!!

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

Fortunately I don't have a big appetite :)

12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

There’s been a huge debate about soy and men’s health so far a soy being a detriment to testosterone. In short, men over 50 already have a problem developing testosterone so the last thing we need is to eat something that makes it even harder........or so the debate goes.

In a couple of ways, soy can be one of men’s best friends because some of the properties contained in it help reduce the risk of prostate cancer and heart disease. Whether or not a man is into bodybuilding or not there are always different methods of increasing testosterone like eating foods which contain aromatase blockers like cabbage, brussel sprouts, sauerkraut and broccoli.

Note: Aromatase is responsible for changing testosterone into estrogen, one of the chief factors for fat storage and is itself stored....in fat cells. Decrease the aromatase means less trouble with fat and a marked increase in testosterone.

Bottom line is that eating foods containing soy shouldn’t be a real problem for men and certainly not for women.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Patsy Faye

Registered

Soy is OK for me then Bobby - don't want to be hairy do I :p
    Fabs doesn't like the Soy protein, so I guess he's OK too !

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well...…….not really. Both of our PCP's pretty much know what we eat and say very little to us about it. Most likely because both are on the "plump" side. Another thing, we seen too many folks, with money to help them be healthier, but aren't. Many celeb's are that way.

Funny, but a 55 year old co-worker lady of my wife's, ask her on Thursday what I was cooking for supper. She had sort of overhead part of the phone conversation when I was telling my wife what we were having that night. She told the lady, "my husband is making us a broiled pork chop, pork flavor stuffing mix with pork flavored gravy and corn on the cob". The lady to her "that's a lot of carbs." Wife simply smiled at her and went on working.

Bottom Line is...…...some younger and older folks simply eat healthier than others. We've seen local McDonalds filled with people as we have seen the same at our local buffet.

15. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I eat fairly healthy. I know what's best for my body...sometimes that changes.

I do avoid sugar and bad carbs though.

Ive always liked veggies....but I will still eat some meat on occasion..usually chicken. Eat lots of fish.

I also do watch calories.

I'm very uncomfortable in my own skin if I'm a few lbs heavier than my usual.

It's not about how I look but how I feel and I don't feel good fatter.

I am done with fads though...they change all the time. I just make sure I eat a healthy 1500 calories....I'm more of a grazer....eat a few times a day but nothing high calorie.

There are times I binge but I get back on track.