Would You Be Happy If You Got What You Deserve?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Diane Lane, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

The real question is, of course, what do you deserve? I started thinking about this a while ago, for some reason. We often think we deserve things, but do we really have a clear perception of what we deserve? I think many believe they deserve more than is warranted, while others may not feel they deserve all they've gotten. What do you think?

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I think I've gotten more than I deserve. I have lots of love from family and I also have financial support which I didn't ask for or expect. I really don't need anything more than I have.

One thing I feel cheated out of is my husband, I deserved to have him longer.

3. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Well now, there's a loaded question if ever I heard one! I can go either way on it, and each answer would be vastly different.

I have been given so much more than I deserve. I've in many ways, not others, had a charmed life.

If I go the other direction with that question, then I'd have to say that if I ever got what "I deserve" I'd be very terrified. 'Nuff said.

4. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Would I be happy?

Oh, I got what I deserved alright; didn't make me happy, but call it instant karma.

In most ways though, I am blessed. I think it boils down to the concept of fairness, which I don't believe exsists.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

After 21 years of being divorced/single, finally got the woman I really wanted. And, yes, I deserved her and she deserved getting me. Just like the song by the Turtles..........."So Happy Together!"

But, financially, we both deserve more and just like Forrest Gump said, "That's all I have to say about that."

6. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

The word 'deserve' throws me. ....
    the rewards of the life that I've lived, and the people that have been involved in it make me 'happy memories' at this point in time. .. I should be happy I guess.
    But the punishment of losing said loved ones, and spending my later years now as a widow trying to hold on to what is left of life together ..do I deserve it ...o_O ..At some point I think we all say Life isn't fair ...:)

7. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I never felt that I deserved what I got. I'm talking about the good things. I have five great kids, a warm, dry place to live, enough money to get by, and enough food. Had great parents who always did the best they could for me. I don't know why I'm so fortunate, but I'm grateful for it.

8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

The answer to the question is...yes I would have been happy if I got what I deserved, ...but I didn't and I never shall...in that I had a very unhappy childhood which initially set me out on a long hard path that could have been absolutely avoided if things had been different so...yes I would be happy if I'd got what I and every child deserves!!

9. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I tend to block out childhood for some reason, when I think of life events. As mine wasn't happy either.
    I never knew my father (WWII), and no, he didn't die at war, but my mother had told me he did. I lived with that, until I found his family many years later, thanks to the Internet. My mother and I were very distant all her life. My maternal grandparents helped to make my life normal.

10. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I definitely wouldn't be happy if I got what I deserve according to my Christian beliefs. I'm less that perfect everyday but have taken the free gift God offered me to be forgiven if I believe. It's like the song, "amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me." :)

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I also blocked out or didn't take my childhood into account. I didn't deserve the father I had but other than that it was good. My mom overcompensated for the love not given me by my father. We were upper middle class so I didn't want for much then.

12. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

It was hard for me to not include my experiences as a child..because they affected a huge part of my early adult life...and in some ways still do...I don't dwell on them of course...just trying to explain why I don't believe I got what i deserved.. for good or for bad!

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

@Holly Saunders, it definitely affected me too. I don't think I'm all I could have been because of my father. Took me a long time to get away from the quiet, shy, withdrawn little girl I was.

14. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

The word deserve to me means something you earned. I, like several of us had a nightmare of a childhood. Do I think I deserved that. No! But I do think I deserved the strength I built overcoming my childhood. Did I deserve to loose almost all of my family? No, but I did deserve the love that those people gave me while they were alive, because I gave them my all.

What we get and what we deserve generally have little to do with each other.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I had somewhat of a rough childhood as well. My grade school and high school years seen some teasing from classmates. Today that teasing is called bullying. And, basically, up until I met my wife 16 years ago, my life came unraveled to many times. Not drugs or alcohol, but financially. Going from one job to another and being homeless. Fortunately, I was smart enough to get myself out of that "homeless" situation.

I deserved to be with someone who seen "potential" in me as well as love and caring........my wife.

Holly Saunders and Diane Lane like this.