Worried I'll Have Enough Money In Retirement

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Kitty Carmel, May 30, 2017.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Did anyone worry about this? Without details. Just wondering.

Clare Smith and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Kitty Carmel
    Why, Hell, Yes! I hated the direction Bill Clinton drove our country in to so much, that in 1999, 6 years before S/S eligibility, I dropped us both out of the system, vowing to never again pay one cent of income tax. Rough going, it was, and given an opportunity in 2002, I taught high school math one year, but that was all. I got S/S in 2004. It helped, but was not enough. We raised a lot of food ourselves. When my wife turned 62 in 2013, we were able to "turn the tables" on the bastards that had stolen money from our paychecks all those years, ostensibly putting it in the S/S fund for our use in retirement, and she got her monthly stipend.

Then, Obamacare squeezed her into that group required to participate, which she did. She cost the Feds about $15,000 the two years she was "in", and now is under Medicare.

Folks, our country's medical system as well as it's retirement system, is FU*KED UP, beyond any arguable doubt.
    Frank

Clare Smith and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep me.... !! I\'m just about getting ready to retire... but I've been holding it off for the last few months simply because I fear that I won't have enough money to live comfortably.

Now when i say comfortably, that of course is all relative, but for me it's living close to the way I've been used to while working.

I'm not afraid to cut my cloth a little bit but I don't want to be in the position where the cloth for my back is unobtainable... so for now with the retirement I procrastinate...and with genuine fear of the financial unknown for the future..

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry, Frank, but you should have said "messed up". Us folks become members of this forum so we don't have to see words like that, that can be/are in other forums. I know you are upset, but..........

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

No, I was never worried...even when my husband died when I was only 53 and had no job and some life ins but not enough to last me til I got widows benefits at 60 or 62...forgot the age.

Somehow, something always happens and I'm just fine. When my money ran out I had a significant other who helped me with finances and also got me the best high paying job ever and I was a stay at home with no job skills.

Things just work out for me and always have.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Clare Smith likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I know two couples who don't have much of a financial problem living after retirement. Neither complain. Both have pensions, SS and some other income.

But, when wife retires, we will be basically living on SS and savings. We know, without a doubt, we will have a lifestyle change, but that's just the way it will be.That is why we decided to stay here for yet another year, even though both of us dislike living here.

7. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes and still do... just not as much.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, it really depends on the lifestyle a person, or couple, has before retirement. Some have a fairly lavish lifestyle before retirement due to income. They have a very nice house/furnishings, go on cruises and nice vacations and plainly live the "good life". Other folks, before retirement, have a much slower and less expensive one, but still a nice income.

Some folks stay on one job for years and get a nice Pension from it and the highest SS a person can get. If that person is with someone who has the same, the retirement income can be tremendous. We know once couple just like that and they would never complain about finances. Both are fully retired and do "live the good life".

Often health problems will get in the way of that "good life" and that retirement income will quickly diminish and/or the exciting lifestyle will come to a halt.

9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It is a concern of mine at times, but for the most part as a Christian I believe that our real Provider is God and He has promised to provide us with our needs....and for the 66 years I'm been living on this earth He has been faithful in doing this. So when I do feel a concern in this area I turn it over to our heavenly Father and trust Him to keep meeting our needs as He always has.

10. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

But he doesn't provide for all Christians...many are homeless, etc.

I'm not a praying type of person but my life has been pretty cushy....I think my God knows my heart. :)

Kitty Carmel and Missy Lee like this.
  11. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Wife and I know that things will change when we finally retire fully.

Right now we both enjoy working part-time, but that can't go on forever.
    Like many, we did as much planning as we could for the future.

It's normal to wonder if you've socked away enough to sustain your lifestyle.
    If it is one thing I know, our generation is pretty good at adapting to change.

Concern and watchfulness about the future is one thing.

All consuming Worry is another.

Enjoy the part that you can control.:)

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Would have to agree with this also (in red).

Before meeting my wife, my life and finances were pretty much just "ok". After we met, got engaged and started sharing finances, both of our lives improved.........mine for sure.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Chrissy Cross likes this.
  13. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I had planned my retirement and thought I would have enough money so I planned to sail the Caribbean which does at that time not require a lot of money. Just a good boat and lots of time but as I found out the countries wanted more and more money for entry and exit along with having to pay for anchoring. My pension was not increasing it was staying the same. I finally realized that going back to Canada I would have to go back to work because my pension would not be enough. The country where I was at the time allowed me to live very comfortably on the money so that’s where I made my new home.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  14. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I tend to be a worrier. And things really don't work out for me. My idea of buying a mobile in a park worries me. Will I have enough for repairs in the future? I wish I had bought a condo but they are now out of my price range in this area. In fact they want way too much for them compared to stand alone houses. Probably because there aren't that many of them.

My biggest fear is some scary apartment when I'm retired. I want a safe place and a place I can have my cats.

Having travel money, entertainment. Those things I don't care about. (at least I should say, I know I won't have money for them) Safety, enough to eat and providing for the cats is what I worry about.

Thanks for your replies. It can get scary with only savings and social security in the future.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  15. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

Canada does have an excellent retirement safety net where you can live comfortable as long as you don't plan on taking a few luxury cruises every year.

We got rid of the house with the mortgage attached, downsized to a nice mobile and have enough to be worry free.

Needs are simpler now.

Ina I. Wonder and Chrissy Cross like this.