World's Capitals

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Silvia Benoit, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

[QUOTE="John

Some people ppreciate it.
    Others were annoyed.[/QUOTE]

Sure.
    I always say it take a "big person" to recognize he/she made a mistake or his / her lack of knowledge on a given subject.
    Insecurity is a lot more spread than other "diseases".

2. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Dakar......Yes, the same one you just googled up....again.
    Yes, I am very smart....and, also, I have a great memory.
    Now, my friend, name the countries where you will find these capitals: Tirana, Tegucigalpa, Canberra, Cayenne
    Yes, you are allowed to keep googling up
    Reykjavik....:)

3. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Mary Miller

While it takes a "big person" to recognize a mistake...it takes a much bigger one no to put another on the spot.
    I applaud your daughter.

4. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I wonder if your friends know you are on this site passing judgement on their lack of knowledge or intelligence. Most likely their priorities are different from yours!. They may excel in something that you are deficient in??
    I, for one, always thought classroom work was geared more towards the classroom, ie. getting good grades, rather than learning experiences in life. Think about it, would you like to be friends with someone who covertly speaks about their lack of knowledge. I understand this is a forum, but here you are passing judgement on people you call friends.

5. Silvia Benoit

Registered

No, my friend is not upset because she is a big person and -as the rest- doesn't get mad -exactly the opposite- when corrected.
    And no, I am not passing judgement but making a comment that goes beyond ""judging"" and all the way to point out a lacking educational system.
    My friend, my group...and millions of people are thankful when "adding knowledge"... Those who feel "judged" usually are the ones so insecure to the point of being insulted. Sad people.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, Silvia, not everyone, especially at the "Senior" age, wants to have more knowledge. Now, if a person/s is really interested in something, at whatever age, then they may want to learn more about it.

That is the why wife and I are currently collecting different farm livestock toys and farm equipment. We are making a display of it on a counter. Barn, farm equipment and corrals of beef cattle, dairy cattle, horses and hogs. When we go to a livestock auction, we will know the kind/breed of livestock being sold. To us, it's all highly interesting.

IOW, when it comes to "farm" and "ranch" stuff, we both want to learn more and more. We already know a whole lot about professional rodeo, since I use to be a member of it.

Lois Winters likes this.
  7. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I guess somewhere along the line there is a lack of feelings and sentiments. There is no question about "insecurity "here, its about how each individual is nurtured and the environment they lived in. Were you not the one who posted about avoiding obnoxious people. From what I understand it means "annoying or objectionable" due to being a show-off or attracting undue attention to oneself In the name of "learning/knowledge "!

8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

What is the capital of Yugoslavia?

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Memorizing the capitals of the world is what I call, “play knowledge”, in other words, just something to exercise my brain and nothing more. I’ll never use it and like it has already been pointed out.....if I need it and I can still type it’s sitting right here in front of me.
    Personally, some of the exercises I do is to mentally take any set of any 5 or 6 numbers from 1 to 9 and switch them around until there are no other alternatives. Play knowledge.

Then there is the type of knowledge that one has to have in order to connect the dots so to speak. The kind of knowledge as described by @Yvonne Smith. To start with knowing the Anthem is a good thing but to be able to connect that with who wrote it and why he wrote it and that connects with the flag and who made it and why and so forth. Every little bit of history that surrounds that one anthem will mentally connect because you’ve created a primer to connect it to.

I once told a think tank of several very, very smart people that yes, Knowledge is indeed power but if you’re not using it, or worse, can’t use it then what the heck good is it other than for brain floss.

Lois Winters likes this.
  10. Lon Tanner

Registered

What is the capital of Tibet?

11. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Cody ,

Mine was a simple comment on the lack of knowledge of a person......which, I thought could lead to an interesting discussion on the US Ed. System (the person studied in US)...but some took it in the wrong way. So...

12. Silvia Benoit

Registered

If I tell you they will call me a "show off"....So, google it up. LOL...The same goes for "Tibet".

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I do believe Lon was being nice and trying to follow along with the capitals. So.....about that taking it the wrong way........

Lois Winters likes this.
  14. Lon Tanner

Registered

What is the largest state on the planet Plesus ?

15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I think you’re trying to catch someone Lon. The largest state was We but it changed to They. The second largest is We-all. I think.
    Let’s see, we Plesus, they plesus and we-all plesus. Yup....

Lois Winters likes this.