Working On My Plants

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Hedi Mitchell, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Have been working on my plants, and enjoying the sunshine :cool:

Attached Files:

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Those look beautiful, @Gloria Mitchell ! And your deck looks so pretty and sunny, too.
    I am also working on plants, but my project is moving the strawberry bed and putting the berries in planters this year. I am hoping that this will solve three problems for me, if it all works out.
    First problem is that our little blind Chipper dog can wander out of the front yard and into the street because he doesn’t know where he is going; so we. Have to watch him all the time that he is outside.
    Next problem is that last year, we didn’t get hardly any strawberries because the birds and maybe squirrels, or bugs, ate them as they got ripe.
    Last problem is that we were given some fig tree starts, and once they sprout, I need a place to plant them until they grow a little larger.

So....... my plan is to dig up the strawberries and re-plant them in containers and hanging baskets. Then, I will put up a small border fence around the former berry patch, and we can safely let Chipper in there to putter around and do his little doggie business.
    I can also plant the fig starts in there because they will be able to use the sunshine and grow better.

I started moving the strawberries today, and ordered some chicken wire from Amazon, which will be here on Tuesday.
    By then, I should have all of the strawberries moved, and we can put up the little border fence for Chipper. We are just going to use little wooden picket stakes that @Bobby Cole is going to make to hold the fence up with .

3. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Thank you....love strawberries !

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Some of my plants are not looking to good. Even baby leafs arev coming out brown in places.First I thought too muvh water..then not enough...now I just dont know.
    Any ideas are suggestions ? Had even tnought too much Mircle Grow fertilizer..um no .Could it be the planting soil is too old ?

Attached Files:

5. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Nice looking group of plants.

I'm thinking that the brown might be too much water or some type of insect damage. I try to force myself to let the soil dry out so that none of it sticks to my fingers when I take a pinch from the pot.

I need to start shifting my plants away from the windows/radiators for the winter.

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Harley Price

Harley Price Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

As a keen gardener I am very interested in what others are growing.
    Even on islands as tiny as the UK our climate varies enormousl from North to South. Here in the south of England
    I still have summer bedding plants in flower. The nights can be cold and I wrap some plants in fleece
    at night and have brought others into the shed.
    We haven't had a frost yet though.
    I wonder what States are most similar, with a fairly temperate climate for growing shrubs ,and flowers?

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I still have roses blooming in Fresno, California.

Harley Price likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Welcome to the Seniors Only Forum, @Harley Price ! We are glad to have a newcomer, and especially one who likes gardening. There are lots of us here who grow flowers, vegetables, or just plants of some kind, and we love to see pictures of each other’s flowers and gardens as well.
    There are several other members from the UK, so it will be interesting to hear the differences in what happens with weather over there.
    Here in the United States, we have such a diversity of weather patterns, depending on what part of the country we live in.
    We have @Chrissy Cross with roses blooming, and @Don Alaska who is reporting that it is getting down to almost zero degrees (f) at night up there in Alaska. He does a lot of his gardening with greenhouses, so that is always interesting to hear about, too.

9. Harley Price

Harley Price Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thank you for your welcome Yvonne, gardening is one of my favourite pastimes and I love all plants both edible and ornamental. It's always interesting to hear what others are growing in different regions.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Glad to have a fellow gardener here, @Harley Price! Welcome to the forum. We grow both edibles and ornamentals here and we sell bedding plants in the spring to supplement our income and pay for our own garden supplies. As Yvonne said, we do a lot of gardening in greenhouses (we have 4 of varying sizes), but we also have large outdoor gardens as well. I have always been the veggie side of the family, and my wife is the ornamental side (in more ways than one), but I had an accident a few years ago, and now she has to do a lot of the low work required, such as weeding and thinning, as I can't bend over much any more. She also determines when to harvest much of what we grow, as she is generally the one who processes or cooks most of what we produce.

Everything here is put to bed under snow in the cold temperatures now, but we will be starting some plants shortly after the first of the year, with onions, celery, and long-season peppers being the first crops we start. Three of our greenhouses are capable of being heated, but it is too much expense and trouble to keep them going in the depths of winter. We have lighted shelves in our heated garage that are used once things germinate, then the plants are slowly moved outward as the days lengthen and the weather warms. Our big plant sale is near the end of May each year, and most everything is out of the garden and "cold" greenhouses by mid-September.

11. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I have goven away many of my plants...just too many to haul indoors every year.The plants do look better, not sure what was causing the problem before.
    Come spring need to transplant and clean them all up.

12. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi Harley.

I am on the boarder of London and Essex and we have had a number of frosts already...normaly the first mild frost is the 3rd week Nov.