Work From Home For Seniors

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Veteran Member
    Registered

My wife will quit her full-time job when we move next June. Since she has co-workers that "work from home", using their home computers, she told me that she might be interested in getting a job like that where we move to. However, I do know that a company will monitor when she would be online working and not. That is how she'd get paid. When I asked her before about "working from home", she didn't want to do it because of this "monitoring" the home computer. We haven't got anything to hide, but she just wasn't a fan of using her computer at home for company stuff.

I would think that a company would like to know how old the home computer is, how fast, etc., etc.. Think so? Unfortunately, our laptop (she definitely doesn't want to use our fairly new desktop) is some 11 years old and very, very slow. It still runs Windows 7, but no updates for that Windows anymore. By the time we decided to get the "free" version of Windows 10, the offer was over and Windows 10 cost too much to put into an old computer.

So, I'd think, if she does want to look for a "in home" job for a company using a computer, we will have to shell out some $1,500 dollars for a nice speedy new laptop.

What do you think about this "work from home" thing for a Senior and buying a new laptop to accommodate what a company would require...…….a new computer.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I would not spend any money until I was sure I had a legitimate job that I enjoyed and was good at.

When I worked we had some people that worked from home and our company provided the equipment to ensure that it and the software if contained were all up to date, licensed, etc...

I myself would be skeptical of any job that required me to use my own equipment.

Holly Saunders and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, we both get tired at how slow our laptop is. I'm constantly hearing her complain about it. The company she currently works for does not provide any employee with a computer or software. Don't know exactly how it works, but the co-workers that do work from home sometimes, use their own computer. They simply sign-in, as an employee, to the company website, go to the same area they would if at the job and start working. One of her former co-workers, works from home, on his home computer, 90% of the time.

A new laptop would be a very nice Christmas gift and I could set it up for her. However, still thinking about the cost and what we still have to buy/pay for before we make our move next June. But, if we buy it now, while it's on sale for $250 less, we wouldn't have to worry about buying one later.

One thing I definitely know...…...my wife is excellent at finances, whether it be working AR, AP, financial analyst or anything else dealing with finance.

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Veteran Member
    Registered

If you’re set on buying a new computer then you might wish to think about one that has been refurbished. They’re about half the price and if it’s a reputable company it should come with a pretty good guarantee and the latest OS.

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

If your wife feels the income she would make from working at home would be worth her doing it...then she should have the computer equipment she will need to do that job even if it costs more than you might want to pay. It's an investment in future earnings for y'all and well worth it if she decides she does want to work from home.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, now she is somewhat changing her mind, against getting it right now. It's a darn nice computer, but the thought continues...…."we could use the money in other ways, including adding to the cost of transporting our boat to Colorado as well as renting a spot to put it". So, just don't know, however we do know that a company would not allow her to work from home with the laptop she currently has. It's just too old and slow.

Bobby, she definitely doesn't want a refurbished one, no matter how good the condition is should be in.

7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't understand , Cody. if you can buy a new laptop now while your wife is still employed, then she could work from home until you move , and she'll still be earning and therefore replacing the money you spent on the laptop, whereas if you wait until you relocate not only will the laptop cost you more, there's no guarantee she'll get a job, much less one that will refill the coffers enough to recover the cost of the laptop plus your boats costs etc...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Registered

Too bad. One ding or something cosmetic and it's still checked out and called refurbished or rebuilt although it could be brand new.
    Your pocket.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Holly, she's had the opportunity to work from home for the company she currently works for, but just doesn't want to. This whole "work from home" thing came up because she doesn't want to drive to work in snow after we move. She definitely wants to move back to Colorado, especially after we visited there this past July, but doesn't want to work away from our apartment during the winter months.

I don't know Holly, but I do understand about using the money for the computer for other things. Our old computer is slow, but it still works. Still may get a new one before we leave, but right now, finances are ruling a number of things.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Some people just want "new", that's it.

11. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Maybe when you relocate your wife could find a seasonal summer job and you could find a seasonal winter job to balance things out.

Holly Saunders and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I'm like her, I won't want to work during the winter either. Anyway, I could only take a "sit down" computer/desk job, absolutely not work on weekends at all and only part-time. As for me, I haven't been employed since leaving Colorado in Oct 2007.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just to let everyone know, the job situation where we are going is pretty low. Mostly retail and food industry and the young people have those jobs. From Seniors that we talked to, that live in the area, most just collect SS and a Pension or just SS and have savings. Some may work from home, but we didn't talk to any that did.

There are some that will drive south to Denver for their job, but I have no idea who would drive that far. Others go to Ft Collins for work, which is the closest bigger city.

14. Bobby Cole

Registered

Yeah, I do know a lot of folks who wouldn’t be caught dead in a thrift shop or even buy a new marked down appliance from Lowe’s because of a small dent. People do what people do.

For myself, although I prefer new stuff, my back pocket says to get what I can and make it last. I recently ordered a new $145.00 keyboard from Amazon but only paid $25.00 for it. Reason for the markdown? Cosmetics, .......just pure cosmetics. I’m not going to go to a dinner party with the keyboard but instead, it’ll sit wherever I put it and do whatever I tell it to until it doesn’t. Life is simple.

But again, people do what people do and whatever you or other folks do with their money is none of my affair.

15. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think I should have been named Second Hand Rose. I love going to thrift shops, Goodwill or CCA and buying things. Also buy a few
    things off of Next Door, I just bought a much needed desk chair for $ 45.
    There are things I refuse to buy second hand..shoes, sox, undies, bedding, clothe type furniture. Otherwise, I like finding bargains
    People, even me, just tire of certain things, or get new, and let them go. You can find some really nifty stuff:D..sorry I kinda got off topic:rolleyes: