Wooden Shoes? Were They Good For People?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Denise Evans, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I've tried on a pair of clogs, or sandals just made of wood, or a reasonable facsimile, horrible, just horrible!

But I saw this on Facebook and wondered if any of you have some first-hand knowledge of wearing this sort of footwear. I don't know about you guy/gals, but with age, I become less vane, I hope anyway, and wonder if I've been missing the "shoe" boat by not trying these "to me" unattractive shoes??

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

...a little late, but....
    [​IMG]

3. Denise Evans

Registered

Joe, will you tell your wife I would pay her to slap you?? LOL!!

4. Denise Evans

Registered

I tried wearing some of those wedgies, when they were in style? I loved them, but, if I tried them now, I would fall, right off of them, LOL!!

5. Denise Evans

Registered

Joe Riley likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, me too Denise. It amazes me what I could wear long ago. Now it's about comfort plus the right height for my back.

Can't wear too flat or too high....has to be just right.:)

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Well I got a decorative wooden shoes and they look really uncomfortable to wear and you got to wear socks at least with it or you'll have a lot of sore feet! If you put some animal fur inside to insulate your feet it may be a bit comfortable. Wooden shoes look very protective of your feet though, but not to comfortable to wear for long walks.

8. Denise Evans

Registered

I hear both of you gals. I think I would need some "padding" of some sort, but if I'd grown up wearing them, I wonder?? I read that they were made to "protect" the feet so I'll insert that wiki I read here;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clog

I'm betting there is going to be somebody that knows about the "value" or lack-there-of, these types of shoes;)

9. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

Denise..I'm not sure why anyone would wear a wooden shoe. I'm totally into Sketchers shoes..now those are comfy :)

10. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

11. Denise Evans

Registered

LOL! Well, maybe Nike knows something we don't Karen;)

12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was a kid, a block from our house there was a Texaco gas station, run by a kindly older guy (all guys were older then!), whose name was Herb Felthouse. Now and then, my dad had our car serviced there, and I grew to like Herb. I'm thinking now, about 1952, when I was 10, my nephew Dan 5, at that time, I knew Dan's Father had worked for some time at Herb's Texaco, a few years earlier.

Dan's Father, Phil, lived with us along with my sister, Mother & Dad, and I, just after Dan was born, August, 1947. I liked Phil; I could tell even then, my Folks were ambivalent about Phil, and the marriage: my sister was then 17. Middle of Fall, maybe 2 months after Danny's birth, a ruckus out in front of the house about midnight. High school friends of my sister wanting her to accompany them for a ride. This, with a 2 month old infant sleeping and a new husband trying to comprehend, she left to ride with the bozos. I was 5, too young to understand, but I do recall the scene pretty closely, as the impact was so vivid, how could even a child forget? Morning, Phil was holding Danny, crying, seeking solace from my Mother, asking what should he do? (I have no idea what time she returned, nor in what condition).

Within a few days, weather quite cold, Phil wrapped Danny up in blankets and placed him on the front seat of the old Buick he had bought with the help of my Dad, and left for home, East Brady, Pennsylvania. My sister didn't care. Within another few weeks, Phil's mother called my Mom, beseeching her to take the kid back to Illinois; she still had several "young'uns" to raise of her own. My Mother and sister boarded a Greyhound, and returned with the kid. My Dad was undoubtedly fit to be tied. My sister found a job with Liquid Carbonic Corporation and my Mother raised Dan & I as though we were brothers.

Having deviated from the thread so badly now, I will say sorry; Herb Felthouse remarked to me once, years later, as I asked about the Dutch contingency in our town (there were quite a few in our neighborhood), "Yep, I'm a "woodenshoes"!

Denise Evans likes this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

14. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

o_O image.jpeg GROAN......:p

15. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Denise Evans likes this.