Women And Hats

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Understand, but some of those "stereotypical" cowboys that go to the Cowboy Church we went to, own horses and do run some cattle. The Pastor of this service, wears his hat, unless he's giving a prayer, the entire time he's preaching. He has horses and hunts elk. His freezer is full of elk meat.

One other thing, Faye, we knew/met a Cowboy Church Pastor named Coy Hoffman that held Cowboy Church Service by the rodeo arena (bleachers) on Sunday morning before the afternoon go-around. Only time the rodeo contestants, took off their hats was during a prayer.

Faye Fox likes this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yep, Cody! I have been to many a fair, cattle show, and rodeos where "churches services" of different faiths were held right on the spot. No one ever called them cowboy church back then, just a worship service.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I created a category for Cowboy Churches in the directory that I work for a year or so ago, which includes some of what I found out about them, and lists some of them. We don't attempt to list them all because the business model is for those not listed to submit their sites and pay a listing fee, but it's a good, representative selection, I think, at least of those that have websites. Accompanying the relaxed dress code, there also appears to be an easier atmosphere of comportment, or more of a relaxed atmosphere, overall. We don't have cowboy churches (or cowboys) in Maine, but there are churches that encourage wearing whatever you want to wear to church.

That's supported biblically in more than one passage. In the 1 Corinthians 11 passage, it's not entirely clear whether Paul is talking about hair as a head covering or an external head covering, such as a scarf. Clearly, he is speaking of hair, but is he only referring to hair? For centuries, most of the Christian denominations have concluded that there is also an implication that men should not wear hats in church, while women should cover their heads. I don't recall hearing anything about it while growing up in a Covenant church in the 1950s and 1960s, but I believe every woman wore a scarf during the church service. That wasn't even questioned, at the time.

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Is there any Biblical explanation for why women should be covered and not men?

Faye Fox likes this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher Well, none of our male Bible scholars replied to your question, so here is your answer straight from the King James Bible without interpretation or spin.

1 Corinthians 11 verses 4-7

4: Every man praying or prophesying, having [his] head covered, dishonoureth his head.

5: But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with [her] head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

6: For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

7: For a man indeed ought not to cover [his] head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

Here is a translation by Dr. Lamsa and he made his translation from the oldest manuscripts and puts it in easier to understand English.

1 Corinthians 11 4-16

Every man who prays or prophesies, having his head covered, dishonors his head. And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered, dishonors her head: for she is equal to her whose head is shaven. For if a woman does not cover her head, let her also cut off her hair; but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her cover her head. For a man indeed ought not cover his head, because he is the image and glory of God, but the woman is the glory of the man. For the man was not created from the woman; but the woman was created from the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. For this reason the woman ought to be modest and cover her head, as a mark of respect to the angels. Nevertheless, in our LORD, there is no preference between man and woman, neither between woman and man. For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God. Judge for yourselves, Is it comely for a woman to pray to God with uncovered head? Does not even nature itself teach you, that if a man have long hair, it is a disgrace to him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering. But if any man dispute these things, we have no precedent, neither has the church of God.

Footnote: The Apostle Paul is the author of Corinthians. You need to read the entire book of Corinthians to fully answer your question.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks, Faye. What a load of tripe. Occasionally I am reminded why I'm agnostic.

Ruby Begonia, Mary Robi and Faye Fox like this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Last night, my wife and I decided to go out for dinner. It was sort of like a "day-after Valentines Day" dinner. Anyway, we both had on our black felt hats. When I wear mine, I hardly get any "looks"/wonderment, but when she wears hers, she does get the "looks". Sort of like, "I didn't know ladies wore cowboy hats here" thinking. Well, one older Senior lady really, and I mean "really", liked how my wife looked in her hat. We were both sort of shocked, but loved her telling my wife how much she liked the hat on her.

Then again, where we live use to be much more "Western" than it is today.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, onward with this thread (LOL), now that we live here in Henderson, Nevada, not in Loveland, Colorado anymore.

First, we found out, and really didn't know due to not visiting first, Henderson and Vegas areas are even less "Western" related than Loveland was. We thought it would be more, being that the National Finals Rodeo is here every December, but...........boy were we wrong!

We've both worn our cowboy hats here, to both breakfast and dinner. Of course, most that live here take us to be tourists, not living here. When we tell them we live right here in Henderson, they seemed to be fairly shocked. I've always thought of my wife as very beautiful when she wears her cowboy hat or even a baseball cap, but those that have "big city" roots definitely don't think that way.

The very first time I met my wife, she was wearing a cowboy hat. That very night I knew, without a doubt, "she's for me!" She doesn't wear one every time we go somewhere, like I have a tendency of doing (sometimes), but when she does, I love it!!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

When you insist on living in a big city, you're going to come across people with "big city roots."

10. Jenna Parnellson

Jenna Parnellson Well-Known Member
    Registered

My husband bought a black wide-brimmed Fedora which ... turned out to be a bit too small for him. So I snatched it up ... love it!

I ... well, I don't know where I'll be wearing it much, as this is a kind of a middle-class area, but ... I got the hat!

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Heck, I’d wear a Fedora mowing the lawn, going to the gym or store or anywhere just because I was in the mood.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  12. Jenna Parnellson

Jenna Parnellson Well-Known Member
    Registered

Love it! Great idea!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I watch Perry Mason reruns, and love to see women wearing the hats of that period.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was one that looked like a small beret, and it was pinned to the side of the woman's head. If she were laying down on her side, the hat would have been in a normal horizontal position. It's as though designers are just messing with them...all the way to the bank.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, yes and no. There are folks, like us, that live in a big city because they have to, again, just like us. In visiting Ft. Worth, Texas Stockyards, of which we haven't yet, there are those that live in Ft. Worth and live a "cowboy/rodeo lifestyle" the only way they can living in that city. We have to live in a city environment, because we can't afford to buy property outside the city limits anywhere. As for us, we live "cowboy/rodeo" as much as we can, but have to live in an area/city that can recognize that. That is definitely not "recognized" where we currently live.