Women And Hats

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yes, in ALL cases a gentleman always removes his hat when introducing himself to a lady. At the very least, a tip of the hat can be almost as effective.
    John Wayne and Roy Rogers would have told you the same.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Most Relevant Verses for Head Coverings

1 Corinthians 11:6
    For if a woman does not cover her head, let her also have her hair cut off; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, let her cover her head.

Leviticus 10:6
    Then Moses said to Aaron and to his sons Eleazar and Ithamar, "Do not uncover your heads nor tear your clothes, so that you will not die and that He will not become wrathful against all the congregation. But your kinsmen, the whole house of Israel, shall bewail the burning which the LORD has brought about.

Leviticus 13:45
    "As for the leper who has the infection, his clothes shall be torn, and the hair of his head shall be uncovered, and he shall cover his mustache and cry, 'Unclean! Unclean!'

Esther 6:12
    Then Mordecai returned to the king's gate. But Haman hurried home, mourning, with his head covered.

1 Corinthians 11:4
    Every man who has something on his head while praying or prophesying disgraces his head.

1 Corinthians 11:7
    For a man ought not to have his head covered since he is the image and glory of God, but the woman is the glory of man.

1 Corinthians 11:5
    But every woman who has her head uncovered while praying or prophesying disgraces her head, for she is one and the same as the woman whose head is shaved.

1 Corinthians 11:10
    Therefore the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.

1 Corinthians 11:13
    Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?

1 Corinthians 11:15
    but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her for a covering.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, I see I have to defend what wife and I like, as in rodeo/western attire, but that's ok, hunters have to defend what they like to do as well.

The Cowboy Church we attended is not held inside a church. It's a rented small building. Cowboy Church is the name of the Service, not the building. When Cowboy Church is held at a rodeo, it's held outside, by the arena, in the bleachers/stands. Cowboy hats only come off when a prayer is said, but, like during the singing of the National Anthem, ladies don't have to remove their cowboy hat.

Now, this thread isn't about "hat etiquette", it was basically a wondering question about when many women, young and old, stopped wearing cowboy hats. There are western ads, like the Wrangler jeans ads, that show young ladies wearing a cowboy hat, but the old popular thing has seemed to somewhat disappeared. Now, last night, while watching the 5th Round of the NFR, we noticed a few more ladies wearing cowboy hats. "Very cool" we both thought.

My wife thought is was funny that I would do a thread like this in a forum that, to a point, where most folks know very little-to-nothing concerning western attire or rodeo. Actually, she is right.

4. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Christians believe Christ suffered and died for your salvation @Cody Fousnaugh and you can't respect Him enough to remove a stupid baseball cap or cowboy hat while while gathered inside to worship? Church or building; it doesn't matter.

Are you all afraid people will see your bald spots?

What is the big deal to remove your hats anyway? ( answering "because we don't want to, is not an answer) Are you all that vain?

Sounds like a bunch of hypocrites to me. Remove hat in expensive restaurants; leave them on inside cheap ones.

The etiquette for men's hats has been stated above. By age 70, you should know.

Mary Robi and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Again, I will show this, from an online Cowboy Hat Etiquette article:
    "While everyone agrees the hat comes off in church, it is okay to wear your hat in Cowboy Church, but then it comes off for the Lord’s Prayer." This actually comes from a Phd Degreed Cowboy Church Pastor.
    Ruby, what you are criticizing is what is written as "ok" in this article.

Just what can I say, other than, you have never attended Cowboy Church. So, it's totally apparent that you know nothing about Cowboy Church, but that's ok. I understand. Just hope you understand the above about Cowboy Church and wearing a cowboy hat.

Actually, I seen/talked to an 80 year old man, and his wife, who was eating Thanksgiving Dinner at a restaurant we were eating at as well and...…...he had his Silver Belly cowboy hat on the entire time! And, he is 80!!

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Wife and I should NOT be criticized for doing something that some don't know a thing about!! Funny, but people who hunt get criticized, but they really don't care. They simply load their rifle and go hunting, in hopes of getting a nice head mount and meat for their families freezer.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I read that.. apparently, as you say the ''churches'' are usually just an outbuilding somewhere often near and arena or a rodeo or even a farm... I agree, that it wouldn't really matter whether you were wearing a hat, and coat or no hat and no shoes.. as long as you were being respectful to the God you're supposed to be worshipping..

After all, Muslims wear a ''hat'' in church, as do Jewish and other religions..
    Muslims don't wear shoes in church ( Mosque)... so I agree you should be able to wear what you wish , hat or no hat at worship...

However, I agree with Ruby in that it does seem a tad hypocritical to wear a hat in a cheaper restaurant yet take it off in a more expensive establishment...and really it's all down to good manners for a man to remove his hat inside any establishment,...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hmmm. I'm thinking the key word here is "gentleman." :D

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I remember when Catholic women always had to wear a "head cover" when in the church. Lots of those small lacy scarf things pinned on but not necessarily a hat.

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

So, the 80 year old man doesn't have "good manners"? I'm sure him and his wife would have something to say about that! But, at least you understand. Let's see now, "inside any establishment"??? How about inside of a large indoor arena, like Thomas Mack Center in Las Vegas during a major rodeo (National Finals)? The only time a rodeo cowboy or fan takes off their hat there is during the National Anthem.

Funny, but men and women wear baseball caps almost everywhere. In buildings and outside.

11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Why would an 80 year old man not have bad manners...just because he's 80?

I agreed with you, about wearing a hat in church, and I also agree that men and women seem to wear caps everywhere these days..well at least the young do anyway.. ... but let's not be ridiculous and take things too far, you knew exactly what I meant when I said men shouldn't wear a hat indoors. Honestly Cody, sometimes you're your own worst enemy

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Mary Robi and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Sadly, most behavior that was considered good manners in our generation are fading away. People don't seem to care about respect anymore.

As for rodeo fans, seems to me a big cowboy hat would block the view of others... but it's "all about me" nowadays so who cares if the people behind me can see.

Mary Robi and Holly Saunders like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Holly, I was talking about the 80 year old man wearing his cowboy hat while eating Thanksgiving Dinner. I don't see it as "bad manners" at all. Thing is, I (sometimes) take what a person says literally. There are those that don't wear, and would never wear, a cowboy hat or baseball cap, so I wouldn't think they would know that much to topic. Or, they read online something and we all know that not everything online is accurate and sometimes even out dated.

My wife loves wearing either hat, that be baseball or cowboy, but I'd guess there are those that would say/wonder "why, at her age, of almost 72?" Why? Because we both like what she looks like with either on. And, when she doesn't have either on, she looks fine as well.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Uh, Cody.....you were in the military is that not correct? Even a lowly private E-1 knows he or she has to uncover when going indoors. I’m not active any longer but I am still a soldier and still a gentleman so the rules still hold strong.

As always though, you do what you think is cool. No life jackets when boating, wear a hat in church, or go to bed with spurs on. Whatever makes your boat float.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not the way seating is made today. Each row of seating is higher than the one below it or above it. And, the "big cowboy hat" you are referring to are the Montana (State) type that has a rather large rim and crown. About twice the size of ours.