Women; Abnormal Pap And Upcoming Colposcopy

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cara Maria, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Cara Maria

Cara Maria Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi there. So I have an abnormal PAP that showed inflammation, and I have to go in for something called a Colposcopy. I'm pretty anxious, more about what it "might be" (cancer phobia, I guess) than the actual procedure. I actually called back the doctor's office and spoke to the nurse--a different one than gave me the original call-- and the second one did try to reassure me, (the first nurse was brusque and businesslike)--saying it wasn't cancerous, but the doctor is being cautious. Anyone have this experience or similar? Looking for, I guess, more reassurance. I am 62, btw, and get regular PAPS annually.

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It's perfectly normal to feel some anxiety over this @Cara Maria. If they told you the problem wasn't cancerous then that's good news. Have they told you what to expect with that Colposcopy...or have you read up on it. It always helps me to know as much as I can find out about what I am going to be going through before I go through it so maybe that will help you too.

There's a number of things that could be causing the Pap inflammation and in the majority of cases there is a simple remedy. So I pray peace of mind for you and positive test results.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Cara Maria

Registered

Thank you. Yes, I've read up on it. It doesn't seem much worse than a pap. Really, I worry a bit every single year before my annual. Mom had some sort of cancer "down there"--- I suspect Cervical or uterine, as she did not die from it-- and her great aunt died from ovarian when I was just a kid, which made a huge impression on me--- probably the root of my "Big C Phobia." I've had a few other glitches over the years-- for example, a fibroid showed itself about 7 years ago, which was odd AND scary as I was post meno-- but they all turned out to be nothing.

Don Alaska and Babs Hunt like this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It's perfectly normal to feel some anxiety before a Pap. I had an abnormal one myself many years ago and I had so many fibroids that were causing excess bleeding that I had a total hysterectomy when I was around 57 years old. Since I had those abnormal cells on my cervix that the Doctor told me could possibly become cancerous ten years down the road...I told them to take my cervix out too. For me the hysterectomy was a blessing and I have felt like a new woman ever since having that.

With what you have shared I'm sure that some of your anxiety is from the problems the women in your family have had...but remember you are you and not them. Let me know when you are having the procedure and I'll be praying for everything to be just fine...and for your peace of mind.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Cara Maria

Registered

Thank you, all, for your kind words and support. The procedure is scheduled for 8 AM tomorrow, so at least I'll get it over with and won't have to stress all day. Then I took the day off work. I didn't want to// I'm always better off keeping busy-- but I wasn't sure exactly what they'd do (for example, will there be a same day biopsy?), So I Decided to NOT go to work. Hopefully doctor will have good news and I can have peace of mind.

6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Good luck tomorrow , @Cara Maria . I hope everything turns out well for you.

Cara Maria and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I pray you have nothing but good things to hear from your Doctor.

Don Alaska and Cara Maria like this.
  8. Cara Maria

Registered

Thank you everyone. The doctor said that everything looked good and he's confident that there's nothing to be concerned about. He saw nothing that warranted further testing like a biopsy. He feels the inflammation from the afore-unknown HPV will clear itself up. We'll redo a pap smear in 3 months.

9. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Good news Cara :) You can rest easier now

Cara Maria likes this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Excellent news , I hope you feel a lot more relaxed now

Don Alaska likes this.