Wish Us Luck!!!!

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Will Lawrence, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

Sometimes old folks have waaaayyyy too much time on our hands. Seems we have committed to adopt a rescue dog. Tabby visited our home this past Wednesday. She was at the vet this morning to be spayed. We plan on her joining our family tomorrow.
    Tabby is a little black lab. She's about 1 1/2 years old. Seems quite laid back and calm. Has had a rough life. Rescued out of a kill shelter while pregnant with pups. Gave birth to 9 puppies just a short while ago. The foster home she was placed in after rescue had both dogs AND cats. She got along well with the dogs, but had a habit of trying to herd/retrieve the cats. Finally it was either Tabby had to go or the cats. So, they moved her to another foster home two weeks ago. This home is with a single college girl in a studio apartment. She has a full grown German Shepherd of her own. The close quarters have not been the best for either dog. She seems to have rec'd exercise and some play, but no training. House broken, but only seems to know "sit". Will take some work to train, but acts like a pretty smart dog. We have a similar black lab as one of our granddogs and she is extremely smart.
    At our age, we really shouldn't be taking on another dog. But, this is the longest we've been without a dog in our almost 50 years of marriage. I'm going to be home for a couple of months so we should have time to make her feel at home.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Congratulations!

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  3. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Good for you Will. ... sounds like Tabby has been thru a lot in just a year and a half. I bet she doesn't disappoint.
    Labs are such wonderful animals. I have a yellow lab, Boo, and he is now almost 9 years old and the best companion ever. Got him at 9 weeks of age and can't imagine life without him.
    Every morning he wants his Blue Bone (teeth cleaning bone), and then he goes into the living room to do his 'yoga' exercises ... every day. He has his own routine all worked out!:D

4. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I have always had dogs. If I don't hear the clackity clack sound of doggy nails on the hardwood floors as I walk around I know something is up. Many times when I feel so alone, either my 15 year old golden retriever, or my little Chorky will remind me that they get lonely as well. So of course I have to give them some lovin, and then I remember that I am not alone.

I truly believe all animals have a souls, and I do not think the Creator thinks my soul is worth more than any of theirs. So I get very angry when I see the abuse some humans can do to animals. My heritage taught me all life is valuable.

We generally adopted the dogs that people just dumped in our area. So until recently I generally had four or five dogs to go with the other farm animals.

Lara Moss and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  5. Will Lawrence

Registered

Growing up on a farm, we always had dogs.... and cats. The dogs were "dumped" off nearby and just wandered in. Most were relegated to living in the barn or an old hog house that was converted to a dog house. We usually had one that was "allowed" in the house and would be the family pet.
    The cats hung out in the barn. We hand-milked Jerseys and they would be there to get breakfast and supper. The cats would over-multiply and some would need to be done away with or they would become too many and disease would be cruel to them. No cats were ever allowed near the house. We would sometimes have baby pigs, chickens, or a calf on the back porch nursing them along. Never cats.
    Our neighbor a quarter mile west would bake fresh bread almost weekly. She would call Mom and I'd have to walk up and get the bread. Edith would have a kitchen full of animals. They had no children so she always wanted me to sit and visit. She'd have to shoo chickens or cats out of a chair for me to be able to sit somewhere. Was nothing unusual to see a chicken walking along the kitchen cabinet. We really never thought ill of it. That was farm life... and the bread always was appreciated.
    Today, if we kept chickens or pigs in our home, we'd be cited for city ordinance violations. Neighbors would be complaining. We'd probably make the front page of the local newspaper.
    If the new dog doesn't behave, we'll threaten to take her back and trade for a couple of baby pigs!!!!!!

6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Good luck with the new dog. Here's hoping she works out for you. I'm basically a city boy who was raised working on farms and then a nearby ranch who didn't mind working youngsters if they showed promise for work. I started where most ranch hands start, building fences. The ranch had an old that took a liking to me, that's why they kept me on, because the dog liked me. I guess I built a hundred miles of fences. Me and the dog seemed to have something in common, both of us mavericks. I've had two dogs in my life. One a smallish, red poodle, she was a fine dog. After my son was grown he took her over to his place and she got run over. The other dog my grandson brought us after he had read or heard that old people do better if they've got a pet. That one was a white shar pei. She was a good gal. We had her some twelve years and she got lung cancer. I guess I lucked out. Hope your new one turns out to be a real good.

Lara Moss and Will Lawrence like this.
  7. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Bill Boggs . I know as we grow older we worry about leaving our pets behind whe we leave, so many older people just do without the love of a pet. I have decided that after my old 15 year old golden retriever is gone I will choose an old dog from a shelter. One that no one will want because it is too old. I'll be the old lady with the old dog.

8. Will Lawrence

Registered

Well, the first afternoon/night is a success. The new family member, so far, has been the perfect "senior citizen" dog. She's slept most of the time. Once in the home, she had to investigate/sniff every square inch of every room. Evidently all that sniffing tired her out. She crawled up on our couch... don't know if we can continue to allow that or not... and went to sleep. Tried to get her to join us and sleep on a pallet in our bedroom. Wouldn't. Finally let her return to the couch and she slept all night. She's still recovering from her spaying surgery so may show some more energy as she heals. Right now, it's eat, drink, sleep. The way she acts, she may already be collecting Social Security!!!! :>)

Fingers are just typing this morning so....
    Her name was "Tabby". Wife said, "That's a cat name!" Well, the main reason she was tossed from her first foster home was her dislike of cats. Maybe she knew someone had tagged her with a cat name and is made at them... sorta like Johnny Cash and "A Boy Named Sue"!!!! So, I did some research....
    The Labrador Retriever breed actually got its start in Newfoundland. About 4,000 years ago the original inhabitants of Newfoundland were the Beothuk tribe. These Eskimos migrated from Siberia, across Canada, and ended up in what is now Newfoundland. So, the Labrador Retriever's heritage could actually be traced back to Siberia... Russia.
    Now, with the Russian language, the "T" is silent. "Tsar".... "Tschaikowsky"... etc. That is the problem!!!! No one knew how to properly pronounce "Tabby" in Russian. The "T" is silent. So, she is now "Abby"... and seems quite happy with that!!!:D:D

Yvonne Smith and Ruby Begonia like this.
  9. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Will Lawrence , I hope you take a couple of snap shot of your new family member, and then again in a couple of months, so we can see the change in her.

I love my furbabies, they bring so much into my life, and when I get depressed, their needs remind me that although small, they too just want to be loved.

Ruby Begonia and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  10. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Will, I'm with your wife on the name change. Abby sounds like a great name. The surgery probably is still affecting her behavior. She'll come around soon I bet. She's had so much to deal with in her short life so far.

And like Ina, I too will be the old woman with the old dog ...:) .. that's the best!

Ruby Begonia and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  11. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I've always had shelter dogs all my life up until 2 years ago when my last 3 dogs died of old age..a Golden Retriever mix, an Australian Shepherd mix, and a Vizsla mix. They were all smart and so polite, calm, and sweet natured. I'm spoiled now. My grown children moved out at the same time. I like the peace and quiet but I keep thinking I want a dog.

Ina I. Wonder and Ruby Begonia like this.
  12. Will Lawrence

Registered

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I read an article once about adopting a Rescue dog. The author stated that anyone who does this had better have the finances and time for health or behavioral problems. I have to agree.

While living in Colorado, adopted two Huskies.......brother and sister. They got into two fights during the day we had them. One fight, over food dishes, was right in front of my wife and scared the crap out of her. They were in our rather large backyard the night after we got them and barked over half of the night. Had to take them back to the Rescue the next day.

We ended up getting another Husky from a local Shelter. She was a year/half and was half Sibi and half Malamute. Absolutely beautiful Husky and we both loved her. Not only did she love playing in the snow we got, she even rode on our power boat (bought her a "doggie life vest". But, she was an "escape artist" and got away from us three times. Third time, law enforcement picked her up and took her to a Shelter 30 miles from us. Wife and I talked about escape and digging problems and, thru some tears, took her back to the Shelter we got her from. Still have photo's of the beautiful Husky (Nikki) on our boat and in our old backyard.

Was all lined up to get a Shih Tzu puppy and back out of it due to moving back to Colorado next year. Had the pup picked out, but decided that it would be much easier to get one there. We bought everything we needed, but ended up returning half of the stuff. Still have the bed, leash, portable play/exercise pen and grooming things. It's been 10 years since we had Nikki (the Huskie) and I was SO, SO ready for another dog. Good part, when we had the Husky, we were both working full-time jobs. I'm now retired.

14. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

@Will Lawrence your dog is beautiful! I agree her recent surgery probably accounts for her lethargy.

When I rescued my doggie, she was well over the spay but for about a week she did little else besides sitting on the couch, eating and sleeping. Then she just seemed to decide she liked it here and became the perky, funny and affectionate dog she is.

You will have many years of joy with Abby. I'm happy for you!

Will Lawrence likes this.
  15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Tabby has found her forever home with some nice folks like you...how lucky Tabby is and how lucky you are for finding Tabby to adopt into your family! Saint Francis bless you both for being kind to give Tabby her forever home and bless Tabby forever and God bless you too for such kindness! Amen. You've already have phenomenal good luck for you found each other!:)