Wish I Understood More About Vegetable Oils

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frank Sanoica, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Well said! Ingredients-labeling is important, but some stores are still somehow getting away with no ingredients shown at all, on certain products. The Safeway Store we use has in-house baked goods with no ingredients shown.

Unhealthy? Cottage cheese is a very nutritionally-intense food, available in varieties containing reduced fat, high calcium and protein content, but why in the world do many contain FD&C "Blue" food-coloring? We've heard for years that food colorings are among the riskiest of things added to foods.

There is an aisle the length of the store, dedicated to only pet food! Bewildering variety. But I doubt our pets eat as well as we do.....all the stuff we don't eat is included in some way in pet foods.

Myriad of preserved meat products kept edible by inclusion of Nitrites.

And High Fructose Corn Syrup, found in the most unexpected places. I have no real big problem with it, but if I want something to taste sweet, I'd rather decide whether to sugar it, and how much. Frank

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I use coconut oil for cooking with, and I fry with that; but at a lower heat. I don't like deep fried foods as a general rule; but do eat them on occasion when we dine out. It is hard to get your required amount of ketchup when you do not have a French fry to dip in the ketchup !
    I found that Amazon has the gallon jar size of coconut oil, and they have a golden one that has extra vitamin A (or was it vitamin D ? ) in it . It is intended for popcorn; but is great for cooking just about anything, and gives chicken a wonderful golden color.
    I buy real butter for spreading on food, and stay completely away from margarines. Olive oil is what I use for sautéing veggie, and sometimes, the coconut oil for that. I prefer a lighter olive oil for salad dressing; but most of the time, I just get the large bottle at Sam's club and use that for everything.
    I stay way away from the heat-processed oils like Wesson oil or corn oil, and especially rapeseed oil, which is marketed as canola oil. There are very bad reports about all of these; so we do not use them, and naturally we stay away from shortening at all costs.

Terry Page and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Good post Yvonne. I agree with most of it, but I think you get less oil in your food by deep frying instead of skillet frying,

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Anyone using a new-fangled ceramic-coated skillet using no oil at all? My wife has done it with certain foods.

Frank

5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

When you heat oils high enough to fry it changes to a trans fat which is very dangerous now admited by the FDA and others.

6. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

There were safe, healthy , food colorings before industry and pharmacy and government put their hands to the wheel and corrupted things badly, almost totally.

Pets/ or rather animals raised for profits, used to have a very good diet compared to humans in the same decades.
    The health of the cows and chickens, etc, was important to the owners and so they took as much care feeding them healthy as they knew how.
    Then pharmacy moved in to animal products, and everything went downhill from there, just like it did for humans decades earlier.

7. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Back to humans.
    “Also the other good thing is that that coconut oil is very stable at heat, unlike vegetable oil, which produces nasties when you cook it,” says Dr Mosley.

“Olive oil, lard and coconut oil don’t break at heat.”

The smoking temperature – when a product begins to smoke and the fat content starts to break down – of extra virgin coconut oil is 177 degrees Celsius and refined coconut oil is 222 degrees Celsius.

Butter has a smoking point of around 120-150 degrees Celsius. Extra virgin olive oil’s smoking point is 191 degrees Celsius although the extra light variety is considerably higher at 242 degrees Celsius."

==================================================================
    https://www.sbs.com.au/food/health/...mosley-now-thinks-coconut-oil-may-be-good-you