Winter Weather

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Bill Boggs, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Got a call from VA Clinic and, due to upcoming snowstorm/possible blizzard, my #2 vaccine was rescheduled to the 20th. Thank God! Starting tomorrow afternoon/night, into Sunday night, local weather forecasters are calling for 2 feet or more of snow here. It may be even a bigger snowstorm/blizzard that we had when we lived here before, in 2003. That one dumped enough snow on our apartment complex that all of the vehicles in the parking lot were literally buried in snow. No kidding.........buried! Couldn't see a single vehicle. It took a front-loader and a number of dump trucks to get the snow out after the storm. Everything, and I do mean "everything" was shutdown.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

59 degrees in southern Maine at 1:54 PM

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 11.26.37 AM.png
    Spring has sprung; and the snow's melting fast, at last.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

And since Spring has sprung I expect thunderstorms will be soon rolling over the great plains
    and elsewhere. I'm hoping we have a low tornado season this year. Heck I hope we have
    no tornados every year. Ithink I'm glad winter willsoon be over.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

-22 F. this morning, so spring has not sprung here yet. The snow stopped and the temp dropped. Tonight is supposed to be even colder, then things warm up a bit over the weekend. On my wife's Facebook acct., people (who must be new to gardening and Alaska) are putting plants out under improvised cloches, thinking everything will be fine when protected. I don't know where these folks come from, and I think this year there are more folks getting into gardening due to Covid. They can't be talking to Alaska gardeners with experience. Our seasons seem to be shifting a bit, with the springs getting colder and the autumns getting warmer. Oh, well, last year at this time it was -30 F., so I guess things are warming.:)

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

A friend owns a greenhouse. Been in business since the 80s. Last year was his best year ever. Every month's sales were a record for that month. It was surprising because he only sold stuff out of his front parking lot. Anything in the store was "on request," since no one was allowed inside. And since folks have to walk through the store to get to the greenhouse out back, it was closed to customer access.

What boosted sales were all the new gardeners planting stuff before the last frost hit, then coming in and replacing everything they had bought just a few weeks earlier. He was driving all over Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, North Carolina and West Virginia to keep stuff in stock.

So far, 2021 has been good as well.

(So many extreme winners and extreme losers in this charade.)

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yeah, the garden centers love all these folks who don't have a clue. We even have people planting cucumbers and squash under these little cloches.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Well, spring hasn't gotten much closer here. I awoke to -28 F. this morning, but the aurora was quite spectacular last night, but it was only the green curtain. No flashes of color, but quite nifty just the same. The sun is shining brightly, so it will be in the upper teens or low 20s by afternoon.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It's 82 and sunny here; central a/c is running. :D Gorgeous day outside, too.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We are getting "walloped" by a snowstorm-turned-blizzard now. It started yesterday at noon. Last night, heavy snow came in. This morning (Sunday) at 11:15AM (after time change), tree limbs are coated with heavy snow and a few have cracked on trees. But, a couple have broken off of trees, and one, that I have seen, landed on the back of a parked vehicle. Local police were here walking around in the parking lots. Wind is still blowing quite hard and snow still falling. So far, it appears we have got around a foot and a half, with more to come.

Sort of funny, but this is happening right now, but next weekend we will be in the lower 60's. Our local lake boat ramps are opening next week, but we know that our snow season isn't done yet. So, will wait until the middle of May to get our boat "summerized".

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

We're getting some snow today too, but I don't think it'll stick around. You never know what March is going to do, though.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Our snowstorm has now been officially designated as a blizzard. It appears that a truck, sliding around, once out of its parked spot, done a "fender-bender" on a vehicle or two while trying to get out of the deep snow. He just couldn't control where his truck was sliding.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

We've been in the low teens during the day for the past couple of days, and down to zero or below at night. It looks like we won't be back above freezing until Wednesday, and that will be only for one day.

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Snowing here at the moment and about 14 F. Snow is supposed to continue tonight but we are only supposed to get 2 inches or so. Tomorrow is predicted to be colder, but what do they know?

15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Back down to -22 F. this morning again. I am ready for the weather to break, as these overnight temperatures are more usual for February than March, but the longer days and brighter sunshine help in mid-afternoon. Originally, it was supposed to be warm and snowing, but the forecast was changed to temperatures "near zero". Our microclimate here is colder than some of the surrounding areas, but still.... After my episode concerning eh greenhouse, I have been so "stoved up" that I have been unable to get over there again. Maybe I will feel better today. I will be planting more greens and herbs today in soil blocks to save space.

Ken Anderson likes this.