Winter Weather

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Bill Boggs, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

i don't know how i got to this old thread...
    still cold here...27

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Just curious, how high would you have to climb to get on the roof? Would you be able to have someone else do it or help you?

Bruce Andrew and Don Alaska like this.
  3. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It went from freezing to 60° back down to the teens in about 48 hours here, totally melting the snow in the process and then putting a another dusting back down.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Depends on the roof, @Von Jones. Many of the roofs can be reached with a roof rake from the ground, but we already have several feet of snow on the ground, so just getting to the buildings is a problem. The tractor shed is eleven feet high, and I can get to that. The house is thirty feet high and I can get to that, but the surface area is immense. The big greenhouse and barn are my biggest worries, as they are very difficult to access, and snowshoes are a real pain, as you have to wear them to get to the buildings, then remove them to climb. I am sure there are companies around who will do it, but when they are needed, it is difficult to get on the waiting list. It the REALLY big snow areas, they import labor from the Lower 48 to help out.

5. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Overnight low of +5, supposed to get in 40s this afternoon but will never make it despite the bright sun. 35 probably tops.

Don: Cleaning snow off roofs around here is thankfully not an issue, but is a hundred or so miles from here in the Tug Hill area, where snow depths are routinely 5' and more.

Having to clean off roofs would make it that much more of a PITA to live here, bad enough as it is although it didn't bother me when I was young.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

In the northern areas of Prince William Sound, they fairly routinely get 30 feet or more per winter. Valdez (where the oil terminal is) is the snowiest town at sea level in the world. Delta, Alaska had a roof collapse earlier this year on the only grocery store in a radius of 150 miles. Those people are also really hurting.

Bruce Andrew likes this.
  7. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

One area of Tug Hill had 39' in one winter. There is typically a snow cover 5' deep or more, but around here it's rarely more than maybe 2' which is why we don't need to clean off our roofs.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Looks like our winter storm watch has been backed off to just one foot of snow. It is snowing quite hard at the moment, so we'll see. I can handle a foot okay, but two feet would stress me out! It is also predicted to warm into the 30s later this week, so we may lose some of the snow depth if it doesn't continue to fall.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Forecast is 82 tomorrow and 40 on Friday. :rolleyes: I'll be giving the thermostat a workout.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Live weather w/stormchasers in a few minutes:

11. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

We are headed for spring like weather tomorrow and Wednesday, then hit rock bottom again. Mother Nature is toying with us.

12. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I miss the violent storms that used to roar through in Indiana. I would sit on the glider on the front porch with the awnings pulled down all around and enjoy all the ozone in the air.

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

100 vehicles crash in the mountain pass above my neck of the woods. It was caused by a sudden whiteout. Search I-84 Dead Mans Pass crash for more info. Back in my working days when I traveled over that pass several times a week, I was in several whiteouts. I was lucky to have never been involved in a crash. So thankful I haven't had to travel that pass in bad weather for many years now. Multiple ambulances services and agencies were called. Every tow truck within 100 miles, either way, has been called. The Confederated tribes furnished buses to shuttle people to the Pendleton Convention Center where they can stay or have friends come and pick them up. There were several pileups over a mile stretch. All the truck stops are full with miles of lined-up idling trucks. I 84 is a highly traveled interstate connecting Boise. Idaho to Portland, Oregon. There are always trucks. It will be days before they get all the undrivable vehicles removed.
    EGYSTESRQZC5TEFZ5ICF62XY6Y.jpg 57DJ63RBHRGJPDQUN7BNP2NIKE.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Wow!!! I just read that it's closed heading east for a 50 mile stretch! Westbound seems to be closed for over 40 miles. I've not read of any fatalities...let's hope it stays that way.

Faye Fox likes this.