Winter Vacations?

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Mal Campbell, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

With all this snow and cold weather, it got me thinking - do any of you go on winter vacations? Do you enjoy things like skiing?

When my son was younger, he enjoyed skiing and we went a couple times to the mountains. We always had him bring a friend along, so they could go skiing, and me and my husband would just enjoy the scenery, eating at the lodge in front of a huge fireplace and enjoy time in the hot tub.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since I live in it, I don't consider it a vacation. Shoveling isn't any fun at all, for example. On the rare occasions that I can get my snowblower to work, that's kind of fun; so much so that I often move on to my neighbor's driveway after finishing mine, but I don't know if that qualifies as a vacation either. I once snowshoed two miles each way into my land, in order to change the batteries in my wildlife cameras. At the worst point, I got stuck in the snow and feared for my life; and at the best, it was a painful ordeal. I lost some weight, and that was nice, but I still wouldn't put it up there as a vacation.

If I found myself on top of a snow covered hill and had to get down, it might be nice if I had some skis, but then I'd probably kill myself because I've almost never been on skis, and doubt that I remained upright for more than a few feet at a time. Give me a toboggan, and I think I could handle that.

Actually, my wife and I often vacation at ski resorts. We have a few timeshares, and many of the ski resorts will accept points. However, since neither of us ski, we like to book a timeshre in the off-season when we can get two weeks for the price of one. The timeshares are generally very comfortable, and way more peaceful then, when there aren't so many people.