Winter And Seniors

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

One thing for sure, wherever people move to, they have to endure some type of weather they don't like. Only place I've been to that is almost 100% perfect, as for weather, is San Diego.

We definitely know what type of weather any of the Rocky Mountain or Plains States can and do get, but we also know the things that we miss that aren't in our area or even in Florida. There are certain things about the South and even Florida that I'll never get use to and one of them is the words "ya'all".

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Haha...my sister in NJ owns a condo in Florida on the beach ...they usually rent it out but I have gone with them a few times on vacation....Ive never heard the word Y'all.

Not in Florida anyway.

Ive not been to other southern states though.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Basically have only heard it used by waitresses in restaurants. Besides the Southern States, that word is used quite often in both Texas and Oklahoma. But, if a person says that in So California, they will be teased about it. They also don't like the word "ma'am". I said "good morning, ma'am" once to a lady as I was leaving a post office and she turned around and said "obviously you aren't from here and I'm not an old lady". I said "sorry" and kept walking.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Why would anyone tease anyone about what word they use??

People are mobile and move a lot so are used to different words....I just don't seem to get the world you live in.

Seems everybody
    is always teasing/ harassing you about something.

Why?

If I told people I'm moving to a colder climate...nobody would question it...people move all the time.

Ive traveled a lot and I just don't see the small minded people you do I guess.

Sorry that that's the way things are in your world. :(

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Chrissy, the "ma'am" thing happened many years ago, when I lived in So Calif. and way before I got married there in 2001.

Actually, you should go on the City-Data.com forum and you would see that people don't move around to everywhere in the U.S.. Most people who live in the South, stay in the South if they move. 99% of the time, people who live in Florida and leave, don't go anywhere West of the Mississippi River. In all the states I've been to, including Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas, Nebraska and South Dakota, I never once heard someone speaking with a southern accent. Oklahoma and Texas, yes, because those are like southern states.

If you lived here and told people you were moving back to a city/state that has winter, you'd definitely be asked "why?". Another thing, I talk quite a bit to strangers when we go to a restaurant to eat breakfast or dinner. Just the way I am...…...what is called "friendly". How much do you talk to people (strangers) away from home? You talk a lot on here, but this forum is not "in person".

Actually, I don't see those people as "small minded". There are those that just don't like certain things people may say that is not common to the area. Most active-duty military people will include "sir" when talking to a man or "include "ma'am" when talking to a lady. It's how they address an Officer in the military and they do that in public as well.

People do move around, but most will or won't move to certain areas or states in the U.S. for different reasons.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I am on city data forum.

I do know peoplethat have moved from Florida to the north states.

My brother moved from Florida and wasn't asked why....

I talk to everyone I see....the cashiers in the supermarket call me by my name. I'm very friendly.

People talk to me also.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Also, I'm done arguing with you about anything and everything, we don't think alike or see things the same at all.

We live in different worlds...I like mine.:)

Ive been in a great mood lately and am not going to have it ruined....and your posts have that affect on me.

Nothing personal, lol.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

From Florida to Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakota's, Kansas or Nebraska? From Florida, the go back up to an East Coast State or one of the southern states, as in Georgia.

I've been on City-Data for a long time and have talked to many folks and have numerous threads on their.

BTW, "north states" to people in Florida doesn't not mean any of the Rocky Mountain or Plains States. They mean the East Coast or Southern States...……..to them, those are "northern states". The people wife and I have talked to here don't even know where any of the Rocky Mountain or Plains States are and care less.

Who in Fresno would ever move to any one of the Rocky Mountain or Plains States. I would think none, but you.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Why do you always think we are arguing when I disagree with what you are saying????? I can't help how you feel when I disagree with you. Basically, just put me on "ignore" and then you won't have a problem...….right?

Yes, we live in very different worlds. Wife and I absolutely couldn't live in your world...…...you don't get out and party enough! I really hope you find a good fitness center, join and make some friends.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I do have friends Cody.

But you are right, I don't like to party anymore.

I'm going to the gym in an hour but for exercise, not to make friends.

I'm not worried about making more friends here because this will probably be my last year here.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Perhaps he wasn't nearly as "mouthy" as I am about leaving Florida. I don't know. I tell quite a few people and some understand, while others absolutely can't understand why anyone would leave Florida.

12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When I lived in North Carolina, we were always getting retirees who had moved to Florida (mostly obnoxious people from New York and Ohio) who were unhappy with not having seasons. They moved north to western North Carolina, where they would get a month or two of cold weather, and where it got hot during the day in summer, but cooled into the 50s and 60s during the night. We also got some snow, but it seldom remained for more than two weeks.

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

How did you end up in Alaska @Don Alaska?

I'm sure you posted it but I don't remember....could you link me to your post if you did tell the story.

14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Chrissy, I don't know how to link the thread, but it is in "Finding a Friend" that Ken started on June 8.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Okay, thanks...I'll look.