Wild Strawberries

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Sandy Wood, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

berries.png

Last year I had noticed a few wild strawberry plants in my lower backyard. I managed to get about a cupful of these berries at that time to satisfy my mother's craving for wild strawberries. And I have found that wild plants tend to like doing their own thing needing no extra help of loving care like we give our other gardens.
    This year so far I have picked a cool whip container full and then some and they are multiplying spreading all over the lower yard, as well as, in my flowerbeds. Since they only last a short time and their greenery is low they produce no problems among the other flowering plants.
    These small berries have such a delicate delightful flavor that beats second to none against the larger varieties of domestic strawberries. The key to having them grow in your yard is by not mowing them off and not picking all the berries so that they reseed themselves each year. No fertilizer or pampering is needed. Let nature do her own thing and you will be blessed by an ever growing abundance of fresh fruit.
    Do you like wild strawberries and what is your favorite way to eat them or use in recipes?

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I am jealous of your access to wild strawberries. What state do you live in I am in Texas and we have wild mustang grapes, but no wild strawberries. If we did have wild strawberries I would have a big bushel basket full of them.

Sandy Wood likes this.
  3. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

I live in Pennsylvania, the western end . My mother had planted concord grapes along a fence and yet I was unable to pick most of them because the vines grew up the tree trunks and the fruit was to far up to reach. I am hoping that changes this year since we trimmed some trees and cut down others. The wild strawberries were like a gift from heaven just like wild flowers.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was a child, they grew all along the county roads. My three best friends in elementary school were cousins, one living on one road, another on the next road over, and the third on next road over in the other direction. We could pick our fill, plus some to bring home, just walking along the road. Then the county decided to mow the right of way along the roads regularly, and there were no more strawberries.

5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I just started seeing these wild strawberries this year. Only a few though.I also did not know they were edible. There is a photo in my post in Photo and video.

6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We have wild strawberrys all over our yard. They look so good but are inedible.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think I've ever had a wild strawberry. I've had wild blueberries back home, and wild raspberries here. The wild raspberries grow along the nature trails where I sometimes walk. I'd love to have some berries in the yard, so perhaps at some point, I can plant some. I also enjoy the wildflowers at the parks/trails nearby. There aren't any in my yards, just weeds.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Our wild strawberries here in Alabama are about like @Sheldon Scott 's ; they are tasteless and SO not worth eating ! When I lived in Idaho, we had wild strawberries out there and they were totally delicious and we used to love to eat them. They are so tiny that it was hard to pick enough of them to do anything with, but for just picking and eating they were perfect.
    After Bobby and I moved to Alabama, I was so excited to see the wild strawberries growing all over; but then I tasted one and discovered that these have none of the flavor that a strawberry is supposed to have.
    I have not seen any other wild berries here; but out in the country, there are blackberries. They seem to be really tiny, too, and not the giant ones that grow in western Washington and Oregon.
    We have strawberries, blueberries, grapes, and blackberries growing that we planted, although very little fruit off of any of them as of yet. Hoping that will get better as time goes on.