Wild Garlic

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Val White, May 15, 2015.

1. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

What a delightful sight. I'd love to walk in and through carpet of foliage! These type of allium which leaves can me dried, preserved and eaten! And the flowers exude fragrant smell, too! Excellent place to engage in some photography sessions, too.:)

3. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

My local fruit and veg shop has had wild garlic for about the last four months - it seems to be a good season here in Scotland. I've been using it all the time. You can cook it like spinach, use it as a salad base, pop some in a sandwich or even just chew a bit now and then. This house is also free of vampires (save for the odd vegetarian vampire duck).

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you mean to say that plant with white flowers is the wild garlic? And that the cloves in the roots are edible? Wow, this is the first time that I've heard of such. What we have here, as I had posted in the other thread, are the wild cucumbers and wild passion fruit. They are both edible and quite nice to eat although only a few people know about them. The wild cucumber are now fruiting, as big as the small plums.

I wish I can go to the UK and see and feel that wild garlic. I'm really amused because of the white flower. It looks more like an ornamental plant than a food ingredient.

5. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

It's getting quite late in the season for it now, so the leaves are becoming scarcer. Still, the whole thing is edible and the stalks are very succulent. There's no harm in eating the flowers, either.

6. Molly Fenster

Molly Fenster Veteran Member
    Registered

Can garlic grow in such a big bunches in the wild?

I mean of course at the farms where they farm them industrially there might be big spots full of garlic but in the wild.. That is just beautiful. Hope I could visit that place one day.