Wife's Low-carb Diet Item

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

She is really trying hard with this one! Look at this "rice"! Rice is a carb-no-no, she made this facsimile from Cauliflower! ..... Dang me if it didn't have texture, mouth-feel, and taste mighty close to rice! Ask me how she does it up, if you wish! Maybe y'all will try it. Frank

[​IMG]

2. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I make it very often.. Excellent dish.. It is called Faux mashed potatoes.. Faux means fake in French..
    I like making the cauliflower dish with sour-cream and chives..

3. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Steve North I would give two likes, if permitted! Wife throws in a bit of grated cheese, chopped up turkey bacon. It's just delicious!

Denise Evans likes this.
  4. Steve North

Registered

Frank..
    It is a dish (or veggie) that has numerous possibilities..
    Awesome as a veggie especially in winter when one doesn't know what to make with a meal.....
    Personally, we like it coarsely mashed up rather than mashed up mushy..

Denise Evans likes this.
  5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I like cauliflower just as it is. Steamed or raw in salads. I never felt the need to make it taste like something else.

Denise Evans likes this.
  6. Steve North

Registered

I agree with you, Sheldon, except sometimes it is nice to try something different for a change...

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have heard of making cauliflower into fake mashed potatoes or rice; but I have never done that. Does you wife put it through the food processor when she makes it into rice @Frank Sanoica ? I would like to know how she made the bowlful that you pictured for us above.
    We follow a low-carb eating plan, too, and with fall coming up, we will want more foods that can be eaten hot instead of cold salads or sandwiches. Potatoes are very inflammatory foods, besides being high-carb; so except for an occasional meal, we do not use regular potatoes any more.

Denise Evans and Frank Sanoica like this.
  8. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I was watching the Pioneer Woman on the food network yesterday and she demoed how to make cauliflower crust for pizza. I think it would be really pretty simple as long as you have a food processor and follow the steps. I think the most important is to get the water out of it. I am sure there are videos on making cauliflower rice. I would be more inclined to try the pizza crust first. The cauliflower mashed potatoes are delicious. I usually combine them with one or two potatoes just to get the taste. I don't eat rice all that often, but I am sure it is much cheaper to make that rice at home. I saw Cauliflower rice for sale at Wegman's and it was 10.00 a bag! Kudos to your wife Frank!!

Denise Evans likes this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Steve North I just know you are aware, my wife's intent is to eat something tasty like rice, but not getting all those carbs with the real thing! As for ,me, I love rice and could eat it at every sitting, if it had some gravy of some kind strewn over it!
    Frank

Denise Evans likes this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Yvonne Smith She is preparing to send me a video on it presently, but it may take awhile. For now, her description: Cut up the raw Cauliflower into bite-sized pieces, place them in a blender, then add just enough water to cover the Cauliflower pieces. "Bump" the blender in very short-time strokes, until the consistency seen in the pic above is seen. The water is then sieved out, most of it, pressing a bit but not dried out.

She then cooked the Cauliflower a few minutes on High in the microwave. This will depend on how big a batch is being done. For a bowl the size in the pic, about 5 minutes, but check it at about 3. The remaining water will steam the vegetable. She then mixed in some grated cheese, and a couple ounces of heavy cream. I disagree with that last taste-treat, but that's just me, liking to stay low-fat. Remember, fats are an important part of her diet! She says you can cook up the riced stuff in any type of use as if it were rice, but remember real rice takes much longer to cook.

Awww, heck. Just got the video. Hope this flies:

11. Steve North

Registered

I have been on low carb for years..
    Originally I weighed 358 pounds and I was told to lose weight or die..
    I started on different diets that didn't really work that well.. I then went low carb as I got introduced to Dr. Atkins way of low carb..
    I now weigh 212 pounds and it is mostly due to low carb.. naturally I am on maintenance, but I still avoid 5 types of food which I have been avoiding for years and years.. Believe me it is the healthiest and easiest way to eat plenty and lose weight..
    The 5 foods I do NOT eat are:
    Flour of any kind and anything made with flour.....
    Sugar and anything that contains sugar.....
    Rice and anything that has rice in it...
    Potatoes in any form...
    Corn in any form..

Other than that, I eat everything ....... naturally there are some foods that have high carbs, but remember I am on maintenance which means I have reached my desired weight. but I don't want to put on any more weight..
    The above are the worst foods if you are going to do low carb properly.. They are very high in carbs..
    In conclusion, let me tell you that as far as low carb goes...........

IT WORKS IF YOU WORK IT
    SO WORK IT YOUR WORTH IT

12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Here are a few more.

[​IMG]
    Fetuccini Alfredo Lo-carb: ingredients eggs, cream cheese. Sauce: Mascarpone, Parmesan cheeses, butter. @Yvonne Smith I have the recipe in front of me, will post it, if you like!

[​IMG]
    Chocolate Low-carb Fat Bombs!

[​IMG]
    Peanut Butter Fudge- Low-carb.

13. Steve North

Registered

Frank...
    What are the pasta rolls made of?? Semolina flour ???
    Remember...................... NO FLOUR OF ANY KIND !!!

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Steve North
    No flour of any kind. Eggs, cheese, seasoning. She DOES use several low-carb flours in some of her stuff, Coconut Flour, and Almond Flour. I gotta admit, the tastes she offers, just to see, are pretty amazing. OTOH, my sense of taste has been "demented" for years, but still, the "mouth-feel" of starchy flour-based doughs are enticing to me.

She makes pancakes looking like, and tasting like, doughy pancakes as found at IHOP, even though they contain no flour. I am amazed. Frank

Denise Evans likes this.
  15. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm still on a no-rice diet although I cheated during our trip to the province this weekend. At home, my substitute for rice is vegetables particularly cucumber or lettuce that I eat with fried chicken drumstick or homemade hamburger. Sometimes it is broccoli and cauliflower that goes with the meat. I don't pass on the meat because I feel weak when I eat only vegetables. There was a time that I was taking tubers instead of rice - potato, sweet potato, taro, etc. But the physician in the family said that eating tubers is just like eating rice so I quit on the tubers and I'm sticking with vegetable substitutes.