Wife Having A Terrible Time!

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wife is having a terrible time finding a job.....full or part-time. Been here for two months and 1 week, she has: Applied for 84 jobs (as of today) online (she keeps track of them for UI she is getting)
    Had two phone interviews (where nothing came of either)
    Have talked to two accounting temp-to-perm agencies
    and still NOTHING!
    Not totally sure why, but have our suspicions, like age and/or over qualified.

From what we've seen and heard, all of the Seniors here, her age, are fully retired. Believe me, "retirement" is the very least thing on her mind. She wants to go back to work, but.

As for me, we both still want me to be at home, like I've been.

Micki Pembroke and Bess Barber like this.
  2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

After my husband died, I was 59. I couldn't even get a job in a field I was super qualified for. The HR lady told me I didn't fit their 10 year employee model. I suppose it was because in less than 10 years, I would be at retirement age. I couldn't keep up the expenses of the house & land we owned, so I sold everything and took early retirement. She is probably facing the same type of age process. Perhaps it's a discrimination of sorts, but I understand they also try to avoid possible health issues and the awkwardness of being the boss of someone their mom's age. I doubt there is anywhere in the country where it would be much different.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

i think over the last couple of years we have been warning you on several forums, that your wife at 70 plus was likely to have a problem getting employment when you moved...

Could she not set herself up to work freelance from home?

5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe she could get something over the Christmas period Cody when extra staff is needed
    Then maybe things will pick up for your wife when Christmas is done - hope so

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe your wife could start with some volunteer work in a field she is interested in. When I did that I was always offered a paying position after they saw the skills I had in action.

7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

It's a sure thing that age is a major factor for seniors when it comes to employment. Maybe during the time she receives UI benefits she will think about options mentioned here or some of her own as time comes closer to an end of UI benefits.

Micki Pembroke and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Want to’s and need to”s are totally different animals and you have to realize that the need to’s always win. You should be hitting the bricks and finding something if your finances are going adrift.

Now, the suggestion was made that perhaps your wife could start working or even build her own accounting agency from home. Right about the beginning of the year through April there’s a bunch of people who need their taxes done so there might be something there for her, but for you, you really need to do whatever it takes and get some cash flow going.

One thing for sure though is that neither one of you, at your ages is going to get anything going by sitting at a computer making out applications. No matter how good the application is, when someone’s eyes see the age bracket, there will be very few takers.....if any.
    You have to knock on doors and do things eyes to eyes in order to sell yourself or herself just like we all did before online applications were even developed.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

As for me, I don't want to work anymore and my wife fully understands that and tells me "no problem". Besides that, I can't stand up for any long periods of time, due to my hip replacement and left ankle injury/surgery (2 screws and a plate) from years ago. Osteoarthritis set into the hip, along with the ankle. Also have osteoarthritis in left shoulder from the rotator cuff surgery I had in 2015. All of this is the reason I have to take 800mg ibuprofen on a daily basis. Also why I've had a Handicap Placard since 2006, when I had the hip replacement. I just can't stand or walk too far. If there is no electric shopping cart available at Walmart, and I have to walk around pushing a grocery cart, I will definitely have pain in the foot and/or hip later that day.

Holly can no longer work due to her physical problems/pain and I'm the same way.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My wife will keep looking, but she doesn't want to volunteer anywhere. We both agree that volunteering is for folks that don't need the money.

Besides that, like I have required before, and people can be this way, she will only work a day shift and no weekends. Will not drive 15 or more miles to a job and with the winter that can hit here, definitely won't take a job that is that far away. We both totally agree on those things.

Now, some, or all, of you folks may not/will not agree with the above, but that is simply our requirements. She has her requirements for a job, just like a job has their requirements for a position.

She will keep applying. Sooner or later she will get what she wants. Her resume' is THAT good. Unfortunately, some of the jobs she has applied for are in the oil and construction industry, of which she has never worked before. Then again, she spent five years in the banking industry in Florida, without having any banking experience at all. She worked in the Corporate Office for a bank, not in a bank. The same went for her last job in the insurance industry. No experience in the industry, but was still hired into the finance/accounting area.

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

You seem to do pretty well at sitting and writing on the computer Cody so why not try content writing or some other kind of computer oriented gig?
    Handicapped doesn’t necessarily mean that a person cannot do for themselves. It just means that a person has limitations but it doesn’t mean totally gone to pot.
    We have a handicapped plate too but in one way or another, Yvonne and I both throw a little into the cookie jar.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Bobby, you'd better check...….today's employment applying. All done online! Companies no longer want their lobby's full of job seekers. The Sunday Employment Want Ads are no longer, for the most part. A person can apply "in person" at a Walmart, but for Senior Accounting/Financial Analyst jobs...…...only online!

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Bobby, when was the last time you looked for a job? The job search today is totally different than years ago. Actually, my wife's last three jobs came from online ads.

There are "at home" jobs available, but many require certain things, like company access to the home computer. Very few Seniors, if any, do any kind of "at home" computer job. Also, it takes money to start up any kind of home business and that can only be done at a home, not an apartment. Apartment complexes have strict "written in" policies against having a home business in one of their apartments. If found out, the resident can be evicted...…….I've actually heard of that happening.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We are doing ok, for the time being. With both of our SS money, we have absolutely no problem paying our rent and other things.

It's just that my wife loves to work, not be at home all day looking for a job. I don't get bored at home, but she can easily.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, I was probably to hasty in doing this thread. I sort of feel like I'm trying to defend us and what's going on.