Wicca

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Hedi Mitchell, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

:)

Bill Boggs likes this.
  2. Joseph Carl

Joseph Carl Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I find it quite coincidental and interesting that I'd just heard about Wicca myself last week when watching a Christian sourced video. I think many people who oppose religion are quick to say that Atheism, and in this case Wicca, are not religions because they don't follow a deity of some sort. While that is one definition of a religion, the word also includes a belief system of many things, including the cause and purpose of the universe, where we come from, the meaning and purpose of life, what values we hold, and what lies afterwards. To that view, Atheism, Naturalism, and Materialism are certainly religions, and the serious Wicca member would also fulfill the religious definition with acquired belief systems.

Wicca itself claims to be the fastest growing religion in America and this has apparently escalated because of the Harry Potter series which has had a profound impact on the belief systems of our younger generation. Here's an illuminating 22 min video on the subject for anyone interested. The moral here is that Christian parents should restrict their kids or gandkids from watching shows that normalize witchcraft - and there's been a whole lot of them popularized since the seemingly harmless, happy Bewitched.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I take it your answer to my question is a No.

4. Joseph Carl

Joseph Carl Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Your implication is fair. I couldn't help myself, wanting to share. No I don't hang out with witches.

5. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I thought wicca was something that is used to make patio furniture????

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Only in Bahs-ton.

Hoot Crawford and Herb Durant like this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They have some wicked wicca up there.

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  8. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Having just joined this platform today, I was intrigued to find this thread. I know many people who practice various versions of Paganism, of which Wicca is one. I used to work in a community center that hosted workshops and gatherings for Wiccans and others who followed the Old Ways and eschewed organized religions. Wiccans are not atheists. They believe in the Goddess and Her consort God. Whether the Goddess and the God have specific names or are representative of specific cultures depends on which "denomination" of Wicca or Paganism more broadly one identifies with.

Not all who practice witchcraft are Wiccans, and not all Wiccans practice witchcraft. For some it is a spiritual belief system that mainly seeks to align with the sacredness of Nature and the energies of the universe, and is not interested in nor involved in spellcraft, which many see as childish hype.

Hope that helps clarify some misconceptions.

Lambert Regenlöf likes this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

thank you:)

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.