Why Would Someone Create A Fake Forum?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Yvonne Smith, May 6, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I think every post on there is from SF.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Too late...trouble is my middle name....Chrissy Trouble Cross. :)

It's my downfall...I have to know everything.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Someone needs to just email M***x...and let him know because that site is using his name as admin

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yvonne and I have..

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

TBH..it doesn't bother me..he's left that forum badly moderated and probably opened to hacks... I was banned from there for no reason, so I would imagine probably someone else whose been similarly banned may have their own agenda, but I can understand a other people being concerned that their names are there..

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

True what you say.

It was easy to find as it popped up in a google search yesterday...I was wondering what happened to some of the old timers from SF and I googled Diwundrin's name and that forum popped up..along with some others but those are all legit.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just looked there again, keep checking to see if it's been taken down and now it shows a google bot as a registered user. That wasn't on my earlier screenshot.

IMG_0805.JPG

8. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Did you notice that all the posts are dated from 2014.......

9. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

And I noticed" Gael" has allegedly started most of the threads I'd personally take Steve's advice and head for the hills as us Aussies would say.
    Has anyone actually put the name of the forum into Google to see if it comes up,as a forum ?

10. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I have another question..
    There are only so many hours one can spend on the computer daily without having square eyeballs as a result..
    On here, we have enough topics to keep one busy for several hours every day.. We have an extremely great family which gets along very well.. We have a peaceful forum..

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO JOIN ANOTHER SENIORS FORUM WHEN WE HAVE THE VERY BEST RIGHT HERE ???????

Another forum for other reasons I can understand such as for pets, food, low carbing, sports, or whatever hobby you have, or whatever, but why another seniors ???

Kate Ellery likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It looks to me like he's trying to start a forum without going through the work involved in starting a forum. I have seen people asking to buy dead forums, not to reopen them but to have access to their database, so that they could get some content up before opening another forum, but have always found that to be little more than getting off to a bad start.

When you start a new forum, you're faced with a big problem. No one wants to join a forum that has no members and no content so, unless a new forum owner has a lot of friends who will be willing to help him get started by joining and getting a discussion going, he has to either pay people to make the first posts or create some member accounts and have a discussion with himself until some actual forum members can kick in. There is a bit of disingenuity to either of these options, I suppose, but there are no others, and it's better than stealing content from another forum site.

When someone gains access to the database of another forum in order to incorporate member accounts or posts, I don't know that it matters whether he bought the access from the former forum owner or hacked into it, since he's still taking the content of the forum members who posted in that other forum, and I don't think that's fair to the forum members who are being taken advantage of. If he bought it, then it wouldn't be a crime but it doesn't seem ethical to me. Of course, if he didn't buy it but gained it through some other means, then it's a crime but the owner of the forum that you made the posts on would have to take that up. If he closed it down, he probably doesn't want to be bothered with it. If the forum he got the content from is still up, there are steps that the forum owner can take to have the domain banned in the search engines. Given that his content would be duplicating prior content on another forum, he probably wouldn't do well on searches anyhow.

You'd never get a forum going that way. If outsiders can't read the posts, then the search engine spiders can't index the forum, and if the forum isn't indexed by the search engines, there wouldn't be very many new members. Sure, new members might be recruited by word of mouth, but that would have to come from other members. The first time someone gets mad and takes a bunch of forum members with them elsewhere, there won't be any new ones to take their place, and the forum will die.

An established forum can get away with including a private area that isn't indexed but when forum members start posting only in the private area, that's bad news for the forum because, to any prospective new member, the forum looks dead, as it does to the search engines.

By the way, on that particular forum, it may have had to do with something else entirely, but when I clicked into that forum, it prompted me to upgrade my flash. Since there are too many potential dangers with flash these days, I use flash only on sites that I trust, and even then rarely. When I tried to leave the forum, it kept popping up the flash update prompt and wouldn't let me close the tab. I had to force quit the browser. Again, it may have been unrelated but I won't be going back there.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I know Gael, she was on the forum when I was...I know her real name and I'm FB friends with her so it's not Gael.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, it comes up on Google as a forum and shows posts that are from SF.

14. Kalvin Mitnic

Kalvin Mitnic Veteran Member
    Registered

Perhaps Dante's words are something to think about.

THE FAMOUS SIGN AT THE GATES OF HELL:
    Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!”
    [“Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate!”]
    Dante(Dante Alighieri; 1265-1321)
    Italian poet

Holly Saunders likes this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Is Hell gated to prevent entry by miscreants, or perhaps to allow for absolute scrutiny before allowing admission?

I wonder what foibles one must possess to be turned away?

Frank