Why Some People Are So Frightened By Atheism?

Discussion in 'Atheism & Antitheism' started by Silvia Benoit, May 19, 2022.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I should have known not to use words you are not familiar with Cody.
    Instead of Rhetoric, I should have written that you were disingenuous whilst attempting to shmooze the lady.

And as an aside, Silvia never offered any retort when I did indeed write that what she says to people when they say God Bless You is rude because……she knows it is.
    Maybe she enjoys being a Espana Reina complete with the wrath that the throne entities her to.
    Maybe not.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never met anyone who was "frightened" by atheism, but if I ever do I'll be sure to ask them why.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Atheism certain IS a religion, @Silvia Benoit. The fact they don't believe in a god or gods does not make it not a religion, just as many scientific beliefs are religions, such as evolution. Evolutionists defend their beliefs more strongly than many devote Christians do. No god involved, but a belief system that requires defending. I have known a number of real atheists, although most who claim to be atheists are actually NOT but are agnostics of one form or another. Agnosticism isn't a religion, as they just do not know what to believe. Atheists, however, have a belief system and something of a structure to their beliefs. One of the three brilliant men I have known in my life is/was a devout atheist. Atheism is a religion just as Theism, Deism, etc. are. Sorry.

4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

This is much how Democrats behave when confronted because there is no logical basis to support their position so they react with emotion.

5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

A lie told long enough becomes the truth. paraqote.

Ed Wilson, Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Buddhists don't acknowledge a god or supreme being, either, yet few will deny that it's one of the major religions in the world.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm thinking that I shouldn't have got involved in this thread in the first place. But, knowing myself, I always seem to get involved with a controversial thread. Again, will have to "think" before doing something!

Marie Mallery likes this.
  8. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Democrats lack common sense..........specially those who think democrat and democracy are one and the same.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You say similar things a lot, and I don't understand it. Because someone disagrees with you, or even if everyone disagrees with you, that's no reason to regret having given your opinion or discussed your experiences. I think you'd do a lot better, and be happier, if you quit caring so much about what other people think about you, or fitting in, or whatever it is.

When I moved to Texas, I didn't buy cowboy boots in order to fit in. I bought cowboy boots in order to avoid being bitten by a rattlesnake. Otherwise, I wouldn't have. If I change the way that I dress when I move to another part of the country, it's because sometimes there are practical reasons for doing so. I didn't buy winter clothing when I moved from Texas to Maine so that I would fit in. I did so because it's cold here. For that matter, when I don't think it's particularly cold, I have been known to shovel snow in short pants, a teeshirt, and flip-flops.

Way back when I was an insecure high schooler, I might have worried about fitting in a little more but, even then, I grew my hair long when no one else in my school was doing so. Was I trying to fit in with people in other parts of the country? I don't know, but it wasn't because I was worried about not fitting in.

One of my employees mentioned once that I was the only white guy in town. I had to think of it, but he was right. I hadn't noticed. In fact, I was the only white guy living in the two towns that were next to one another. I didn't worry about that.

In my experience, it's a lot easier to fit in when you don't care whether or not you fit in, just as it's far easier to find a good job when you don't particularly need the job or to get a loan when you don't need a loan.

I can't imagine a conversation in which I would notice that someone didn't like the way that I was dressed unless, of course, I was walking around town in the nude or made a habit of not zipping up my pants. Yeah, people notice when I shovel snow in short pants, a teeshirt, and flip-flops, but it's not like it's a bad thing.

I feel as comfortable around 20-year-olds as I do around people my own age. I might not have as much in common with them, but that's not a bad thing, either. I have friends who are younger than my son.

I think you'd have fewer problems if you weren't so aware of potential problems. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to, unless someone yells at me or something.

To bring this somewhat back on track, as far as maintaining a relationship, I couldn't care less whether someone is an Anabaptist, a Protestant, a Catholic, or an Atheist, except for the Hare Krishna people, because they dress weird, try to feed you bird food, and all the chanting gets on my nerves.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

First, Ken, we definitely get along with 21+ young folks, as long as they don't look like Post Malone or Machine Gun Kelly. And, especially if they are into farming/ranching and/or rodeo and involved with FFA and/or 4-H.

Anyway, this is not my thread about "fitting in", but I will reply to your above post. In my thread, I mentioned how Millennials "fit in" here due to the way the look. Many Millennials get tattoos, body piercings and tri-colored hair to "fit in". However, I haven't seen any ranch/farm young adults, for my age, I call "kids", that have their nose, lips, eyebrow, whatever pierced. I also don't see a young adult, on a tractor working a field, covered in tattoos. The city we live in, they are pretty much fully accepted and that's why there are so many that live here and so many that move here. And, not all Seniors get along with Millennials that look that way. There sure are plenty of Seniors here that don't and have expressed just that to wife and I.

IOW, Ken, when a small city, that use to have a population of 28,000 and now is 82,000 changes due please, and possibly draw in, more Millennials that look that way, the long-time Seniors here just plainly didn't like it. Can't do a thing about it, but that sure doesn't mean they have to like it. I's not the Seniors "small city" and environment anymore.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Way off topic but you have to think Cody. Millennials outnumber seniors and gen x folks are just a few years from retirement.
    You can choose to be an outnumbered curmudgeon or start getting along with those who are going to replace the space you presently occupy.

Oh and going with that thought and the Atheist thing, quit judging the book by it’s cover. Being an Atheist doesn’t mean someone is evil the same as someone who has piercings and tattoos.
    The same people you might get along with because they are of Your faith and don’t have tattoos or piercings could just be a rapist or murderer.

It took me a long time to learn that everything isn’t just black or white.

Al Amoling and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just as long as the Millennial folks DON'T look like Post Malone or Machine Gun Kelly. Just how many times do I have to say that??? We get along absolutely GREAT with Millennials and Gen X folks who are into rodeo, farming, ranching, etc.. Just how many times do I have to say that??

As far as the thread goes, YOU are the one that called Silvia "rude", not me! Again, I've said that before in this thread.

Funny, many, many times when I read about a robbery, murder, home invasion or whatever, if a Booking Photo is shown, the person has tattoos on their neck and arms. Some even have a pierced nose and/or lip. It just seems like a lot of crime is done by individuals that look this way. It's not just a "judgement" call, it's what I see/read about online. And, I do know that not everyone who has tattoos and/or body piercings are criminals, but a lot of time, a person does get judged by their looks (book cover).

There are Seniors that get freaked out when they see a picture of Post Malone or Machine Gun Kelly. Even Post Malone made a comment to a reporter, when asked about his facial tattoos, Post said "I got them to piss my mother off". Nice guy, huh?

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Now, Bobby, sounds like you like bashing some people. Not a good trait either, is it? I mean, you have bashed me quite often about different things. Sorry to say this Bobby, but your Hallo is somewhat bent and tarnished. Don't think nothing of that, I have told my wife the same thing and I even know my Hallo is somewhat "bent and tarnished".

But, since you are a Vet, I'll accept the "bent and tarnished" thing. You are still a pretty descent guy. Did I really just say that??? LOL

14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

What on earth does what I wrote Silvia have to do with the rest of whatever it is that you’re trying to write? My statement was on point whilst yours was an attempt to find some sort of ambassador who would defend your position.

The bottom line Cody is that you are pickin’ on the same old bones you have always picked on. There’s no meat left.
    You’re getting as bad a Jen Psaki with all that “circling around” bit because you inevitably go back to the same old stuff.

Gets creative. If you can’t dazzle anyone with brilliance then baffle everyone with bull crap but for heaven’s sake get off that dead horse you have been riding.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, Bobby, I'll "get off of the dead horse" when you understand us better. You have your opinions about everyone, just as we do. If you like the looks of Post Malone and Machine Gun Kelly, that's entirely up to you, but we sure don't.

Anyway, let's stop the argument and simply "agree to disagree".