Why Some People Are So Frightened By Atheism?

Discussion in 'Atheism & Antitheism' started by Silvia Benoit, May 19, 2022.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Good point but if it were me, I’d revise the statement and make that “experiential knowledge”.

That said, some knowledge must be obtained to form a logical conclusion such as ensampled by John’s use of Logos. Where there is no primer no great amount of reason can take place.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  2. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

But of course religion is based on beliefs...otherwise the lie/s wouldn't have "survived".

Sometime, some points are pointless.

3. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Atheism is a religion so does that mean it too is a lie? Just employing your own words.

4. Ralf Mannheim

Ralf Mannheim Well-Known Member
    Registered

It's based on belief because the very definition of "god" means that it cannot be known.

5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Have you ever had a client who called you or you called every day for say….a week or maybe a month or more whom you have never actually seen?
    Could you comfortably say that you “knew” that client?

I do submit to you sir that the definition you are using is perhaps a personal one but most certainly doesn’t apply to others who have another type of relationship with God.

6. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Well, and to give a final step......people can believe whatever they want as long as they don't affect the free ones. Yes, to be live in god keeps the mind out of freedom.. Ciao.

7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Seems to me the OP should be, “why are Atheists so afraid of Believers”.
    Every step of the way including your Final Step indicates to a large degree that you’re actually afraid of Christianity.
    Notably, some who have taken on the persona of being a Christian aren’t in actuality Christians any more than a Volkswagen can be called a Cadillac if it’s parked in a Cadillac repair shop. Even THEY bring about certain fears due to the fact that no one can tell which direction they might go and with that hurt how others view Christ and real Christians.

Be that as it may, proclaiming that Theists and in particular, Christians, are afraid of Atheism (and Atheists) is a rationalization based on your own brand of apparent crass dealings with believers but I have seen no reasoning in a lifetime of dealing with nearly ALL religions why anyone should be afraid of your choice of religions.

And as far as Freedom goes, do tell me which freedom I do NOT have?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    Mary Stetler likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, you know... those pesky 10 commandments keep you from living a life of total debauchery. :p

Bobby Cole and Mary Stetler like this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yeah, I guess morals, ethics and all that stuff about God does get in the way of burning cities, robbing businesses, pimpin’ and killing folks but hey, call me a pansy but I kinda like those rules. :)

They’re a lot easier to get along with than the laws pertaining to paying taxes.

10. Ralf Mannheim

Registered

What I mean is that if you look at the definition of "god," you see "infinite," and that cannot be grasped by human knowledge. In addition, when you look at the etymology of the word, you end up with the Sanskrit huta, which means "call" or "evocation," which for me is a very insightful idea, because it implies that for all his achievements and flaws, man is alone and can only cry out.

11. Ralf Mannheim

Registered

I don't know what "affect the free ones" means, but if it implies freedom from faith, I don't think that will ever happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_religion

12. Silvia Benoit

Registered

You are correct...it won't ever happen; the brain is extremely easy to manipulate by those who know how to do so.

13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

To let the other shoe drop, could it be that your brain has been so manipulated?

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Ralf Mannheim

Registered

I think it's not so much ease of manipulation as the point that human beings are by default rational and emotional. Of course, there may individuals who are mostly one or the other, but they're exceptions.

In addition, some of the things we consider rational might be based on the opposite, like faith in money as an asset or the idea of inalienable human rights or even democracy.