Why, In Some High Schools, Is Geography Not Seen As An Important Subject?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Silvia Benoit, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Why most people don't see the importance of Geography / the relationship between Geography (and History) to Literature? Why, in general, the school systems don't teach Geography as a separated subject to provide the students with deeper knowledge?

2. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think this also relates to previous observations by members about schools 'passing' students who failed, to qualify for funding.

"Deeper knowledge" may be practically unknown across the board, with some (excellant) exceptions. Overall, learning how to pass tests, and how to pass students to the next level, for federal or other funding, has been the incentive for so many school systems, in toto.....

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I am not totally abreast of the latest trend to lean more toward liberal arts teaching in our government education high schools. Geography as well as history and higher maths have little use in the world of texting, gaming and refining one’s communication skills and let’s face it, who really wants to know that Africa is a continent and not a country?
    I mean, the media has already taught that Columbus was a slaver and a racketeer and was so unfamiliar with the world that he landed way south of his intended goal of hitting New York City, Washington’s place of birth.
    All of these things and more can be temporarily learned by simply taking one minute of time from sexting one’s fav and Googling whatever question that comes to mind.
    Never mind having to learn so much in a school that cares little if one learns at all because not knowing what one doesn’t know is ignorance and everyone knows that ignorance is bliss.

Seriously and no kidding, I really believe that our nation needs to look at New Orleans post Katrina initiatives to change the educational system to charter schools. The charter school system is a no frills educational thunder ball that allows no child to be moved ahead until he or she has accomplished the work needed to do so.
    Funny, but with all the information out there as to the excellence of Charter Schools, the government is still balking at giving them a better chance to survive merely because the government will have no control over them.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Terry Coywin likes this.
  4. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Your talent for sarcasm is amazing.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Has anyone viewing used the Robinson Curriculum K-12th ?

It has had great reviews for decades, several thousands of people have used it, and the children go at their own pace, sometimes passing college entrance exams when 15y.o. or sooner, and doing well overall (socially(so to speak), at work, whole lives - complete, well balanced)

And the price is far less than most all other options.

6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

History was one of my favorite subjects. I am disappointed to learn that so much of it is untrue. I only learned a little geography in school but I have learned more since then. This really is a fascinating world.

Trevalius Guyus and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Well, History is written by the winners so it will never be "too close to the truth". Geography is fascinating; I had five full years of this subject in HS (in my other country HS last five years). While I enjoyed learning about rivers and mountains, cities, towns and population migrations...what impressed me the most was its impact on Literature.

8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think what impresses me most is the effect that geography has on people and events. For instance, if the geography of the southern US had been different, slavery would not have existed. The War for Southern Independence would not have occurred.

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  9. Silvia Benoit

Registered

You make a great point.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that a part of the problem relates to the globalist idea that borders are evil, and geography is all about national borders.

Ed Wilson and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Well, I disagree; I am noticing the lack of knowledge on this subject since I came to US in 1980. Needless to say the idea about the "borders being evil" added to the problem.

My late husband and I wanted to visit Granada, Spain. When the young travel agent told us the flight would last 2hrs and 15 mins.....I realized she was sending us to GrEnada in the West Indies. We got up and went to another Travel Agency.

12. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

We had a whole year of Geography in 7th grade. It seemed to be a hodge-podge of different subjects, and everyone was confused about the point of the class. Maybe it was just poorly organized. Maybe you have to gain a certain amount of maturity before you understand the importance.

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think the “organized” part is more the case. As an example, if one is learning German, it might be beneficial for the teacher to give some history and geography lessons with that language. The same with American History. I do not recall any teacher pulling out a map even one time to show where England is nor discuss some of Her history but if the instructor had, it would have lent so much more to the overall picture. Columbus came from uh....Spain? Portugal? Don’t care cause I don’t know where either one of them are. Veni Vidi Vici.
    Marco Polo is a great shirt imported from Ghengis China.
    English Lit should be more than just English Lit. How about some history and geographical information about where the writers are from and what the culture is.
    Or is it that the majority of instructors cannot teach these things because they do not know?

Sad to say but I really believe that many kids can tell us every planet that was involved with Star Wars but cannot locate their own state on a map.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Von Jones likes this.
  14. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Since a 7 y/o kid can't absorb the same amount / advanced info.as it does a 14 y/o one it must be presented according to the level of the "recipient". Among other things I remember when kids -upon finishing GS- knew the names / locations of the most important rivers in the world, the capitals of all the countries in the American continent, the colonizing countries, the different immigrations waves and more.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In high school, the teacher who taught American history, European History, World History, and Government was very good about that. If we learned about a particular war or about a battle, it was important that we know where the countries were who were involved in it, and why they were involved in it, and when we learned about a battle, the same applied. In fact, he would place the armies where they were on the battlefield and line everything up as if it were a chess game. He also traveled extensively during the summers and had artifacts from places all over the world. He had a way of making us think we were getting him off on a tangent by asking questions that would lead to stories but, looking back, he stayed with the lesson plan, teaching by way of these stories.