Why Do I Post Things About Assisted Living?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Given the ages of the membership I would be surprised if no one but me considered it. Lois Winters is the only one that I know of that was once active on SO and is in Assisted Living in New Jersey. If you have any questions about AL don't hesitate to ask me.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No way.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't envision ever having the financial options to do so but I'm not sure that I'd want to anyhow. Then again, give me another ten years, and who knows what I might want to do, which wouldn't change the fact that I wouldn't be able to afford it anyhow,

Lon Tanner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

As others have said, finances are not there.

I've considered it because I'm tired of home/yard maintenance and housework (or living in a home where it's rarely done...I used to be better at it.) I've wondered what it might be to have all that taken care of so my time is 100% free to go do what I want when I want, untethered. That was why I once asked if you were allowed the freedom to come & go in your own vehicle.

Now that COVID is here, and it does not look like the control is gonna be 100% gone 100% of the time, I'm glad I'm where I am. And I really don't like the noise of living around other people. On the other hand, since COVID, I could tell people that--out of an abundance of caution--I've chosen to Social Distance the rest of my life.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  5. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I prefer staying active, working on projects around my house, if I'm not in the trees, on jobs.

My Dad, who truly lived the life of Riley, had an ideal situation at his luxury retirement high-rise: There was a fully tricked-out workroom, in the basement, that had machines nobody knew how to set up and run. My Dad was given permission, and a key, and he turned that room into an incredible place for himself. He did all kinds of projects for the management and his fellow tenants. Right up until a week before lung cancer took his life, at 85 (he smoked three packs a day for forty-five years), he was always on the go, always active. That is how I want to be.

If, for any reason, I cannot be active, if I require somebody else to assist me in basic day to day functions, and it looks like a long-haul situation, I will opt out of this existence.

Susan Paynter likes this.
  6. Lon Tanner

Registered

The only discussion forums about Assisted Living are for the benefit of care givers, owners, staff, employees.
    There are none exclusively for the benefit of residents living in Assisted Living. I thought it would be helpfull to seniors to hear directly from a resident about what it is like and the costs involved. Very few residents use a computer but all have cell phones.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

My assumption was that you post about assisted living because your life, now, takes place in an assisted living facility, so I don't see that as any different than the rest of us talking about our homes, our yards, or our gardens. I enjoy reading about other people's lives and you are a part of it. Some of your threads could be combined, I think, but that's another matter.

8. Lon Tanner

Registered

There is a Big difference Ken. Most of my life was like all the other SO members. Married, living in a house etc.but none of the other members live in assisted living BUT may some day or at least consider it. So the real reason for my postings is Informational and Instructive.

9. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner, I have some probably silly questions.

Is there a community room where you can go and meet with other residents at times other than meals, or just read a book, or work on your laptop, or people watch?

Can you leave the building at any time? For example, if you wanted to take a walk at midnight?

This may apply more to memory care units: Do they make you go to your rooms after certain hours, or can you wander around the building any time?

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Lon Tanner

Registered

Not silly at all----Good questions. I can leave at anytime and can go where I want. There is a large community room that has two computers for residents use. Bingo, painting, talks, meetings are held in this room. There is a separate large library with comfortable chairs and fireplace. There is a Bistro where coffee and snacks are available 24/7. We can wander the building any time. Some of the residents still drive and can go off in their car as they please.

11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I like that! :cool:

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Ken pretty much said what I was gonna say.

13. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Free Parking?

14. Lon Tanner

Registered

Yes it's free. There is also a good size theater with lounge seating for 30
    Movies are shown regularly as are sporting events.