Why Be Mean?

Discussion in 'Comments on Forum' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am noticing a troublesome tendency among a small percentage of the members of this forum, including some who are otherwise a valuable part of the forum community, to be mean. Although much of it is disguised as a joke or displayed as a graphic, I can't help but think that you know that you're being mean.

As a member of the staff, it's hard for me to determine intent, at least not with any certainty, as there can be a fine line between good-natured kidding around and an attack. There are some here who I know that I can joke with, and you'll recognize it as a joke and not be offended, but there are others who I have learned that I can't do that with; so that I can accept that there may be times when something that was sincerely intended as a joke was taken as something else by the target.

However, what happens sometimes is that the target responds in anger, sometimes saying things that are clearly intended as an attack, putting themselves in danger of being banned, and that doesn't always seem fair. Some people don't handle attacks as well as others, and it doesn't matter to the target whether the attack is upfront or sneaky.

On the other hand, some people are always looking for something to be offended over, and view every disagreement as a personal attack.

In deciding what to do, I try to determine the intent. I don't know if I am always able to do so fairly or reasonably. Maybe I give some people the benefit of the doubt, but not others. I do try, though.

However, it would be a lot better if people didn't try to be mean. This is a senior forum. A big part of what we do here is talk about things that are of interest to ourselves. This does not mean that it's going to be of interest to everyone here, and it shouldn't have to be. If someone likes to talk about things that you're not interested in, or that bores or, for whatever reason, annoys you, why would it be so difficult to simply ignore the thread rather than feeling the need to let them know that you're not interested, making them feel as if the things that are important to them bore you, or are not worthy of being expressed here?

For God's sake, I talk about my cats and my compost pile, and there's no reason why anyone else should be interested in that, but I am and that's good enough for me - and not just because I am the administrator of the forum, but because I am a forum member. I'd like everyone to feel free to write about the things that interest them, and for anyone else who takes an interest in it to join in, but for them not to feel as if they are going to be attacked, openly or sneakily, for it.

There's a whole lot of stuff here that I'm not interested in. When I have the time, I will sometimes see if I can find anything of interest to me, particularly if a thread hasn't had very many replies, but it shouldn't matter if it's of interest to me.

You can't know whether your topic is going to be of interest to anyone else until you introduce it and, even then, a lack of response might just mean that the right people haven't been in the forum to see it, or maybe the thread doesn't have a title that gets their attention. Either way, no harm is done.

Please, try not to be mean. It shouldn't be so hard not to be mean.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Not hard at all is it - if you're not keen on a person or thread, don't bother with it - simple
    Or, you could put your view then leave it at that - simple

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Let's hope those who have read this recognise themselves at take that all on board.... somehow I already doubt it will happen... but anyway very wise post Ken

4. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

1. @Ken Anderson Wisdom to the fullest, Ken. I think maybe sometimes i'm guilty of maybe posting things that makes sense to my humour, but maybe not others, i do try to think before i post. Thanks for your valued post.

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

oooh you have nothing to worry about at all @Micki Pembroke , I've never known you to be nasty to anyone.... :)

Micki Pembroke and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I hope it isn't me, because my sense of humor is kind of dry, and sometimes that doesn't translate well in the written word. I suggest a message be sent to the offending member.

7. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Well I have been accused of being mean. Maybe I am,maybe I am just blunt. I am well known for being an asshole. I was born without those filters that society so loves. My kids always used to say, "Dad, Why are you so quick to yell/" Because I have found that speaking quietly and politely is mistake for weakness,so now I go to what is effective.
    As the lone progressive on this forum, I find the political posts most of you guys make, are patently aggressive, inaccurate,short sighted,offensive and just plain mean. Conservatives love to play, "Trigger the Snowflake!", and I foolishly,naively, take the bait every time.
    I will never convince anyone that mine is the correct path,or vice versa.
    However meaness is a two way street, Some folks here have accused me of everthing except being a good American, but if I get short,I am the mean intolerant one.

8. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Micki Pembroke and @Ed Wilson - not either of you I would say, but the thread isn't for speculation and I'm sure
    the offending member has been notified - Ken's post will be a general comment for all of us to heed

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Registered

Had to answer that Peter as there has been a lot of political debate over here lately and whether political or otherwise
    those that yell on radio or TV (or forums) are just switched off, so their point never really gets heard, not 'effective'
    at all - but let's not get into a debate about it on this thread :)

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I have a tendency to protect certain things that wife and I believe in. There are times when I can be overly outspoken and, understandably, I can get told about that. Certain topics can be very controversial, but I talk about them anyway.

As for myself, in this forum, I'd have to admit that I've said/stated some fairly stupid things and was joked about it. There are a lot of Seniors that don't have the high "sense of humor" that I do. Being sarcastic, and at times, somewhat belligerent, is just a part of the humor I say. My wife completely understands my humor and laughs a lot about it. She will say "never a dull moment in our home".

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm pretty much the same; I speak my mind and occasionally get snippy. I wasn't always so short-tempered but the older I get, the less patience I have. I never set out to hurt anyone's feelings but I admit I can be harsh.

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  12. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

If it 's not youse guys that don't leave many of us, do it? Lord have mercy!

Micki Pembroke and Patsy Faye like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

I'm not talking about holding hands and singing "Kumbaya," and I'm certainly not suggesting that everyone needs to agree on everything. Just remember that just because you're not interested in something, that doesn't mean that no one should talk about it, and ask yourself if your goal is to argue a point or to get someone else to shut up or leave. Argue the issues all you like, and argue them strongly if you feel the need to, but let those who disagree with you do the same. Make sure it's about the issue rather than the person.

14. Patsy Faye

Registered

Oh OK - ignore my advice above and 'go for it' (if you have to) :p

Ken Anderson likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Yes, the political debate should remain in the Hot Button Issues area.

Ed Wilson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.