Who Is The Real Racist?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Martin Alonzo, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

I grew up in the UP of Michigan, lived in Iowa for a brief time, spent about twelve years in Southern California, more than twenty in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, a couple of years in North Carolina, and about fifteen years or so in Maine, and I have to say that I haven't come across very many racist people. The very idea of racism doesn't make sense to me. Given that every race of people that I am aware of can show examples of good and bad, smart and stupid, ambitious and lazy, trustworthy and untrustworthy, I don't see how anyone can't realize that the traits we like or dislike about another person are based on something other than skin color or racial origins.

I don't get it, and I can't say that I've come across it often, even in the Rio Grande Valley where I was among the minority. Attitudes there had more to do with language and common experiences than race, I think. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to give preference to those who grew up among them. Here in Maine, although we have very few minorities, those of us who weren't born and raised in Maine, and whose parents weren't from Maine, are "from away" and discriminated against on that basis to some extent. Being from away, that can be annoying but I get it. Having grown up in a town where I was related to everyone, I would have expected someone local to be given preference. But that's not racism.

I did come across it in North Carolina. While I did not get the impression that I was hated by any of the black people who lived there, some of whom I am still friends with, I did come across some white people who were clearly racist, and that included the pastor of a church that we had attended for a couple of months who, for some reason, felt called upon to tell a racist joke from the pulpit. We didn't go back. Then, for a short time, we had a landlord who blatantly treated his black tenants a whole lot more rudely than he did us. These were people who probably didn't even consider themselves to be racist, since this was the culture they grew up in. I know that it exists, but I don't get it.

Sheldon Scott and Patsy Faye like this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

Perfect reasoning - I've never understood it either

3. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Kate Ellery - although I've heard these examples so many times, its always like the first
    It upsets me greatly - hope the experience has strengthened you and those around you :)

4. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

All racist rhetoric goes back to politico correctness that has been put in place to divide and separate people. This is perfect for control if you are fighting amongst yourselves you miss the real enemy. The idea of them and us goes back a long ways and now they are using it to fight to break up humanity. The real puppet masters are having a good laugh watching the politico correctness destroy humanity.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Actually, I've done some research on racism and it was quite interesting. Where we currently live, the demographics is some 40% black and we were definitely not use to that high of a population where we lived in NC or in Colorado. In my research, I found out that there are whites that will absolutely not live/move to an area that has a high population of blacks. Then again, there are white that have no problem living in that type of area. Seems like a lot of folks where we live, came from areas of high populations of blacks. Another interesting thing, there are blacks that will and won't live among whites. The blacks that live around us are super nice and we have talked to many. Unfortunately, our city also has it's share of "not-so-nice" blacks......as well as whites. We also have a fairly large, and growing, Indian (India) population here. The Hispanic and Asian population here is pretty low.

Even though that word "racism" is still going, there are areas of the U.S. where whites, blacks and Indians get along fine.......like our area.

6. Martin Alonzo

Registered

I live in a countryside where my children and I are the only white people for a mile and then there is a American couple and then you have t go another four miles to find a white. There is brown dark brown, black, and really black people living hear terms that would be call racist get thrown around and no one seems to care I get called a gringo which means I am white but they mean no disrespect in doing that. They claim it was a term started when the U.S. occupation force was here and they were wearing green camouflage and the locals would say green go shortened to gringo.

The only way you can have racist, is to have someone take offence of what is being said. Like all these politico snowflakes we have now. We have a society which has been trained to take everything personally and feel offended. Being offended is your view of the world and not reality.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Oh I disagree, it 'is' reality but probably depends where you live in parts of America
    Certainly have it here although I think the blacks are down in the list now

8. Martin Alonzo

Registered

If someone get offended by words really it is their problem as words have no power only the translation of the words in their mind has. So the idea of saying something and offends another person is ridicules. Like the word ni**er spoken by a black person to another has no reaction but a white person saying the same thing he is racist. So the whole thing about what a person says makes him racist is nonsense now if he does other things there is laws in force to deal with that. In the 60s we exploring the whole feeling culture and get it touch with your feeling and that worked into the politico correctness that we have today. It you let what another person say to you effect you than you have the problem. For example one person can have a peanut allergy which most people don’t so we need to get rid of peanuts because it effects people. That is just crazy but that is what they are saying. Use your best racist language against a Chinese who does not speak the language and it will have no effect proof it is not the words.

9. Patsy Faye

Registered

Well its 'how' you say words isn't it and how often the person hears them
    Not just words though is it, they put up with intimidation and violence as well
    The problem that has emerged is that it has become a vicious circle, where a foreigner may presume
    he is not liked or accepted and so has a defence mode to begin with
    I am thankful I'm not judged by the colour of my skin

10. Janice Martin

Janice Martin Well-Known Member
    Registered

Racism is one of those topics that makes me mad enough to spit nails, but while my viewpoints cover a variety of issues I'll stick to this one: I'm beyond fed-up with individuals who use race/racism as nothing but an excuse for their own personal choices, and also as an excuse to expect special benefits or entitlements.

Example of the first: individuals who insist on living in their own little 'communities,' not interacting with others unless it's with hostility, encouraging their kids to wreck their lives and futures with drugs, crime, having babies they don't want, quitting school, etc., and then throwing fits that 'everybody' from the government to society to other groups are holding them down and keeping them down. And it doesn't matter which race/group someone is in, it's become quite popular to blame others for their 'choices.'

Second: Affirmative Action (as I heard of it) had it's place- it does not have a place now. Nobody should expect special treatment simply because of their group.
    Connected to this, I do not agree with the idea of 'reparations.' I'm certainly not saying 'the past is over, forget it,' what I am saying is present-day generations should not expect compensation for the way their ancestors suffered.

11. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well said and I agree completely

Janice Martin likes this.
  12. Patsy Faye

Registered

There is a valid point in your post Janice, although wasn't always so and I hope things have improved for the blacks
    As for other cultures, yes there is a problem where they don't 'want' to integrate. These are such diverse cultures too with strong beliefs
    alien to our own. This situation cannot possibly work as there is no leeway with these people, its 'their' way and we should shut up
    and accept.