Who Follows Up?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Kalvin Mitnic, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Kalvin Mitnic

Kalvin Mitnic Veteran Member
    Registered

Anyone?
    When a driver has a license suspension (DWI or other) or another law breaker is given a home sentence -restricted leave from home or hours, who monitors their compliance.
    *When someone incurs several convictions and may even lose their license what's to stop them (again & again) from driving.
    Recidivism with offenders seems to never stop unless incarcerated.

A sentence not enforced is no sentence at all.
    *I see this offense reported many times.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Unless an individual cop is familiar with someone's driving status, as might be the case in a small town like where I live, no one does. But eventually, they will be pulled over for another infractions and, in time, the fines can get very large and there might even be a prison sentence. Home sentencing, I think, is generally monitored with ankle bracelets.

When I lived in Texas, there was a guy whose license was suspended for multiple DUIs. Unable to drive a car, he bought a tractor. Since the town he lived with was surrounded by agricultural land, tractors could be driven along the side of the road and there were no licensing requirements for a tractor. He could still be arrested on public intoxication charges. He didn't live on a farm, by the way. He lived in town. The cops I talked to thought it was kind of funny.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Kalvin Mitnic

Kalvin Mitnic Veteran Member
    Registered

Some sentenced to house arrest are in monitoring anklets but not most, they're 'on their word' or under some other adult's responsibility.

Eventually being caught while unlicensed and again drunk doesn't do much for their victims.
    Who ever 'lets them take their car should be charged with something, aiding and abetting perhaps.
    Alternately have patrol cops spot check their whereabouts. That need not be often just as a threat.
    Perhaps there will come a time when offenders will have a chip implant which can be spot checked for location and movement. If the convicted is 'showing' as in a bar when sentenced to home arrest or to not attend any such establishment where alcohol is served they will be caught and summarily taken off the street.

A drunk in a car is as dangerous as a lone wolf terrorist with a car or a gun.

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I know someone very well who got their second dwi in 20 years. Most have no idea the tremendous expense, humliation, and requirements by law when this happens. Do I feel sorry for them....no and told them so. Still my friend, still love you, will give you support while you go thru this. What I do not understand is others who have mutilple dwi's and recent seem to get off with barley a slap on the wrist.
    A man in Texas had 8 ! 8! ...but he had to kill a person while driving drunk again before they jailed! So much for justice:mad:

5. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

You mean how can people who don't have a license be stopped from driving or someone on home restriction be monitored? I think home restriction is where they may have to wear an ankle bracelet.

As far as driving goes, it's much harder I'm sure. But it seems many of these people will make mistakes. I worked with a woman who's boyfriend was driving. He had no license. He was tailgating and got in a wreck on the freeway. Of coarse it was a bigger mess when an unlicensed driver was behind the wheel. When I asked this young woman why SHE WASN'T DRIVING since she had a valid license, she simply stated "he wanted to drive" I was like WTF. Seriously!

A current co-worker's son ran from the cops on his motorcycle when they tried to pull him over and got into a major wreck. Why did he run? He didn't have a motorcycle license. I'm sure this would have been a much better thing to deal with than what he did. The bike would be towed, he'd pay some fines, but it's not a felony I'm sure though I'm no expert. But why didn't he just get the license. I don't get it.

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Can't read maybe...it happens.;)