Who Else Likes to Do Crafts?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Two years ago, wife and I picked up a whole bunch of pine cones from around our apt. complex property. Sprayed painted them, applied some glitter, sprayed with clear lacquer and super-glued a Star or Angel on top of each one. Gave them to family and friends for Christmas. We have a couple of real nice ones we put out at Christmas.

Last year, wife, with me assisting, gathered up all the seashells she had and bought a few from Micheal's to make Seashell pictures. We already had some different sizes of picture frames that we weren't using. She would arrange and hot-glue the shells to the glass on the frame. Gave them as Christmas gifts. We have a big one that we have to put up in our kitchen.

2. Miriam Turner

Miriam Turner Veteran Member
    Registered

Honestly I do not do too many crafts. I would love to do crafts but it can be very hard for me to get to the craft store to get supplies. I really do enjoy doing certain crafts though from time to time...I would love to learn to sew. Something I've always wanted to learn since I was a little girl. Something I am planning to do though is try to create pins, stickers, and even poster prints for some artwork I had created. Hopefully that can turn out well at least. I hate hot glue though....always have. It always burns me because I'm never careful haha.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Welcome to the SENIORSonly Club forum. As for myself, I am not crafty enough to do crafts.

4. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

My mom loves to do crafts, and she taught me to do many different crafts I loved to do, from sewing clothes for my dolls to knitting my winter scarves.

However since I got into the Internet back in 1999, the web has kept me busy doing a thousand of things that don't leave too much free time for crafts.

I have materials and some ideas in mind to get a few done, but I can't simply find the time :confused:

5. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I am quite good at crocheting, in fact I can usually create something pretty quick now. But I have never grasped the concept of knitting. I guess I could never understand how those two needles work. I do admire anyone who has mastered this craft though. I also am someone who does sewing as well.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Many of the craft stores have free lessons for different craft projects, and as long as you buy the materials from the craft store, then the lessons are usually free.
    This would be an easy way to learn how to knit , crochet, or make other projects .
    I think that once you learn the basic moves of the knitting stitch, it is pretty easy to make simple projects.
    I enjoy making socks because they are small projects, can be made in almost any color, and a lot of different styles.

I found some of the little tubes of acrylic paint on sale today, and I want to use the colder winter months to paint some of the planter pots that i got this year, and maybe even decorate some of my t-shirts.
    When the kids were little, they had similar paints called "Artex", and they were in little tubes with a ball-point tip, so you could literally write on fabrics, glass, plastic, and other surfaces with them.
    I would draw pictures on the kids' jeans and shirts and decorate them , which I enjoyed doing, and the kids like to wear. The only problem was when they outgrew something and it got passed down; because sometimes tthey had a name on the clothing, and then it would no longer be the correct name.

7. Alaska Wolf

Alaska Wolf Guest

I've been artistic most of my life - did a lot of drawing as a child, through my teen years - but as I got older and grew my kids up and threw them out after moving to Alaska, I discovered fur. I have been sewing fur things for over 15 years now, and it's actually been a business for me for close to 8 years now. I've recently gotten into loom knitting and have been trimming mittens and hats with fur. I can't imagine not doing something with my hands, no matter how old I get!

Maggie Rose likes this.
  8. Alaska Wolf

Alaska Wolf Guest

Craft store not needed when there are SO MANY sites out there like eBay, Amazon and Etsy. I live 40 miles from the nearest WalMart so I tend to order what I want from Amazon. I have a Prime membership so that I get free shipping as well. Plus, I hate shopping, so delivery to my mailbox is just an added bonus! ;)

9. Linda Shaw

Linda Shaw Veteran Member
    Registered

I LOVE doing crafts!! I do ceramics, floral crafts and sew everything!! I find crafts so relaxing. My eyes aren't the greatest either, but I don't let that stop me! Craft on ladies!!

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:I hate when I loose one side of the sock and will look for it till I find it. I like hand knitting and crocheting a lot. Now I simply don't have the time to knit or crochet at all! I did a lot of free style had crocheting to make doilies. I've finished my afghan that I made out of left over yarn from other projects. I find that learning from someone is easier than from books. I like simple projects not elaborate projects that take precise stitches sort of projects.

11. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not really into crafts at all at this point. Not sure if it's not enough time, or not enough interest, but I suspect it's a combination of both.

That doesn't apply to the past because I've done various crafts in different stages of my life. I've done counted cross-stitch, rock painting, quilting, scrapbooking, and I've even made a few garments. Never liked any of it enough for it to become a passion, though. :)

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  12. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Funny ... in the past I was into knitting and crocheting projects right and left, and some painting too. Had fun with it! Loved making things.
    Today, between my eyesight not being the greatest, and the 'short attention span' I've seemed to develop in old age, I can't sit still long enough to enjoy doing those things anymore.
    Even reading a book can be a problem, if I really don't get into it right away.
    I rather be outside raking up the yard or playing with the dogs. I like to keep moving. .. and that comes in very handy when I'm babysitting with my two little granddaughters who are non-stop movers.:p:D