Who Else Likes to Do Crafts?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I really enjoy craft hobbies like kniting and crocheting. Usually in the summertime, I am outside more, and do not knit; but when the weather starts getting cold and rainy, then I get out the crochet hook, knitting needles and dig through the yarn patters to decide what i want to make.
    One of the favorite things that i like to knit is socks. They do not take a long time, and the project is small enough to carry along in a knitting bag if you have to go to the doctor's office or somewhere that you know you will have to sit and wait.
    I used to take my knitting along with me to church when we went to a little community church. Mostly, I was making something that I didn't have to look at the pattern all of the time; so it was easy to listen to the sermon, and still work on the sock or slippers.
    I am always interesting in learning about a new craft idea, or even a better way of doing an old one; so I am looking forward to hearing what everyone else does for relaxation as a hobby.
    Here is a picture of a sock that I made for my husband. I actually made him two of them; but he has put the other one somewhere, and we haven't found out where it is at yet.

image.jpg

2. Betty Johnstone

Registered

Hi Yvonne. I have always enjoyed crocheting but was never any good at knitting. Whenever I dropped a stitch I couldn't pick it up and would have to rip back to that point . My favorite craft has to be cross-titch but unfortunately as I get older, my eyes aren't as good and its difficult to see the holes in the cloth. So, I'll almost given up on that one too.

3. Yvonne Smith

Registered

Betty, I know what you mean about the eyes not seeing as good. I used to have one of those little looms and do beadwork, like beaded hatbands and stuff like that. Now, I think that I could not see to get the bead on the needle.
    My mother-in-law also taught me how to do embroidery back when I was a young bride, and my husband and father-in-law would be out working on one of the vehicles. There was a lot of sitting around and waiting; so she taught me how to knit and embroider.
    I liked making the pretty pillowcases; and you don't even see much hand-embroidered items any more; but again, I just don't know if I can still see well enough to do that. I have been thinking about trying to do it again though.
    When you are knitting, and have a dropped stitch, the best way to get it back is to use a crochet hook, and just crochet the stitch back up to where it is supposed to be, and then slip it back onto the knitting needle.

4. Betty Johnstone

Registered

Glad to know I'm not the only one with bad eyes, Yvonne and thanks for the tip on the knitting but I decided long ago to give up on that craft and just stick to crocheting. My mother did beading well into her 70's, so obviously I didn't follow in her footsteps with the good eyesight!

5. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Active Member
    Registered

I also knit, mostly in the winter when I need something for my hands to do. I never learned how to do it with needles, I use a loom. It is easy and not that hard to repair if you make a mistake. I have to wear my reading glasses for some of it. I used to do different types of needle work but have found that the thumb on my right hand has arthritis and it will lock in place if I have to hold a piece to long. It's a shame, I used to quilt and do a lot of needle point.

I like to do bead work. I make jewelry in spurts. Problem is I like to keep the things I make. I have also gotten so I do small paper projects, like tags for gifts and stuff like that. This year was the first year in a very long time that I spent time making Christmas gifts pretty with bows and stuff like that.

6. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's my problem too. I love to cross-stitch - I find it relaxing and something that occupies my hands while I'm watching TV or listening to music. But my eye sight has also gotten to where it's hard for me to read the pattern. Also, I like to stitch on 36 count linen, so those holes are really small :confused: I found though that I could usually "feel" the holes by dragging my needle over the fabric.

My mom keeps recommending I use a magnifying glass - they make one that goes around your neck and lays against your collarbone. I've never used it, but she has a friend who swears by it.

7. Dave David

Dave David New Member
    Registered

The wife and I do a bit of stained glass, her mom taught her, and I help with the soldering and framing. They turn out nice, but - like most craft items - not really marketable. We enjoy the time together and the doing and gave up trying to sell them years ago. As our eyes get worse, we do easier patterns, but still do the same quality.

Her big craft is quilting mostly by hand, - a lap quilt for me!

8. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Active Member
    Registered

That sounds a bit uncomfortable, I don't know if I would like to have something hanging around my neck. I can imagine between looking down at the work and the additional weight and pull of the magnifying glass you would have some additional neck stress. I have seen that there is a nice magnifying glass set up where it is attached to a lamp that is on a swiveled arm. The downside is you will have to attach it to a table or some sort of work area but I am thinking if you are like me and like to do your hand work while watching (well more like listening) to the television you might be able to attach this to one of those better TV trays or laptop trays they make. You can find them on Amazon for about $30

[​IMG]

Diane Lane and Priscilla King like this.
  9. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's why I've never used one, it just looks so uncomfortable. I guess you'd get used to it - maybe. I have thought about the ones on a stand or clip, like you showed, but I've just never had good luck looking through a magnifying glass - it seems to distort things some - maybe it's just my bad astigmatism! Then again, maybe I'm just making excuses - I do tend to do that a lot! Procrastination at it's best. ;)

10. Yvonne Smith

Registered

I have reading glasses that I get at the dollar store, and I have several different strenghs depending on how much I need to have things magnified. I still don't do the small projects; but it works fine for the things that I do.
    I have a lap desk that i use for the iPad, and I have seen some of those with little lamps on them, and I would think that one of those little Amazon magnifiers would be great on the lapdesk.
    One of my favorite projects is recycling plastic grocery bags and knitting them into little throw rugs using a strand of plastic yarn (plarn) and a strand of regular yarn. They are easy to make, and I am recycling something, plus they last for ever and ever. I have made sleeping mats for the dogs, and they like curling up on those, too. In fact, Chipper often lays right on top of one when I am trying to crochet it ! !

image.jpg

Von Jones and Mal Campbell like this.
  11. Val Carey

Val Carey Member
    Registered

I've 'played' with just about everything at one time or other. The latest 'toy' is Polymer Clay jewellery. Still learning the ropes and watching tutorials until my eyes blur over but I'm getting there and have perfected a few tricks of the trade now. Finally mastered making swirl patterned lentil beads yesterday but still have a lot to learn about it. Learning to use gilding and alcohol inks on it is the next task. I fear that is going to get messy.o_O

I have one of those magnifiers with lights under it but it's a floor model and it's quite heavy to move around, wish I'd seen the table version at the time.

12. Priscilla King

Registered

Definitely easier than cheap "reading glasses" for me and my astigmatism. (The astigmatism is getting worse...when I do start wearing glasses they'll have to be custom-made, and although I'm told they'll make driving a car less tedious, I'm still dreading the expense.)

13. Priscilla King

Registered

One thing about knitting is that it's possible to do simple patterns by touch. I'm not sure whether that's also true for crocheting.

14. Priscilla King

Registered

I like that sock.

15. John Donovan

John Donovan Active Member
    Registered

My wife absolutely loves doing crafts, specifically making T-shirts and sweaters for my grandson. I would really like to do so too, but I suck at this.

16. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Two years ago, wife and I picked up a whole bunch of pine cones from around our apt. complex property. Sprayed painted them, applied some glitter, sprayed with clear lacquer and super-glued a Star or Angel on top of each one. Gave them to family and friends for Christmas. We have a couple of real nice ones we put out at Christmas.

Last year, wife, with me assisting, gathered up all the seashells she had and bought a few from Micheal's to make Seashell pictures. We already had some different sizes of picture frames that we weren't using. She would arrange and hot-glue the shells to the glass on the frame. Gave them as Christmas gifts. We have a big one that we have to put up in our kitchen.

17. Miriam Turner

Miriam Turner New Member
    Registered

Honestly I do not do too many crafts. I would love to do crafts but it can be very hard for me to get to the craft store to get supplies. I really do enjoy doing certain crafts though from time to time...I would love to learn to sew. Something I've always wanted to learn since I was a little girl. Something I am planning to do though is try to create pins, stickers, and even poster prints for some artwork I had created. Hopefully that can turn out well at least. I hate hot glue though....always have. It always burns me because I'm never careful haha.

18. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Welcome to the SENIORSonly Club forum. As for myself, I am not crafty enough to do crafts.

19. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Well-Known Member
    Registered

My mom loves to do crafts, and she taught me to do many different crafts I loved to do, from sewing clothes for my dolls to knitting my winter scarves.

However since I got into the Internet back in 1999, the web has kept me busy doing a thousand of things that don't leave too much free time for crafts.

I have materials and some ideas in mind to get a few done, but I can't simply find the time :confused:

20. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Active Member
    Registered

I am quite good at crocheting, in fact I can usually create something pretty quick now. But I have never grasped the concept of knitting. I guess I could never understand how those two needles work. I do admire anyone who has mastered this craft though. I also am someone who does sewing as well.

21. Yvonne Smith

Registered

Many of the craft stores have free lessons for different craft projects, and as long as you buy the materials from the craft store, then the lessons are usually free.
    This would be an easy way to learn how to knit , crochet, or make other projects .
    I think that once you learn the basic moves of the knitting stitch, it is pretty easy to make simple projects.
    I enjoy making socks because they are small projects, can be made in almost any color, and a lot of different styles.

I found some of the little tubes of acrylic paint on sale today, and I want to use the colder winter months to paint some of the planter pots that i got this year, and maybe even decorate some of my t-shirts.
    When the kids were little, they had similar paints called "Artex", and they were in little tubes with a ball-point tip, so you could literally write on fabrics, glass, plastic, and other surfaces with them.
    I would draw pictures on the kids' jeans and shirts and decorate them , which I enjoyed doing, and the kids like to wear. The only problem was when they outgrew something and it got passed down; because sometimes tthey had a name on the clothing, and then it would no longer be the correct name.

22. Alaska Wolf

Alaska Wolf Guest

I've been artistic most of my life - did a lot of drawing as a child, through my teen years - but as I got older and grew my kids up and threw them out after moving to Alaska, I discovered fur. I have been sewing fur things for over 15 years now, and it's actually been a business for me for close to 8 years now. I've recently gotten into loom knitting and have been trimming mittens and hats with fur. I can't imagine not doing something with my hands, no matter how old I get!

23. Alaska Wolf

Alaska Wolf Guest

Craft store not needed when there are SO MANY sites out there like eBay, Amazon and Etsy. I live 40 miles from the nearest WalMart so I tend to order what I want from Amazon. I have a Prime membership so that I get free shipping as well. Plus, I hate shopping, so delivery to my mailbox is just an added bonus! ;)

24. Linda Shaw

Linda Shaw New Member
    Registered

I LOVE doing crafts!! I do ceramics, floral crafts and sew everything!! I find crafts so relaxing. My eyes aren't the greatest either, but I don't let that stop me! Craft on ladies!!

25. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

:oops:I hate when I loose one side of the sock and will look for it till I find it. I like hand knitting and crocheting a lot. Now I simply don't have the time to knit or crochet at all! I did a lot of free style had crocheting to make doilies. I've finished my afghan that I made out of left over yarn from other projects. I find that learning from someone is easier than from books. I like simple projects not elaborate projects that take precise stitches sort of projects.