Who Else Enjoys A Nice Cup of Tea?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I have coffee in the morning, but after that, I mainly drink hot tea and water for the rest of the day and night. I like most types and flavors, and I use bags, as well as loose tea. My favorites are green, oolong, and jasmine. Of the greens, Japanese is my favorite. Most people here drink tea cold, not hot, so when I go to a restaurant, I have to specify hot, not iced, tea. What about you?

2. Lydia Williams

Lydia Williams Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm more of a coffee gal myself, but I do enjoy the occasional cup of tea. Mostly regular black tea but sometimes I like fruity ones! I've never managed to get into green tea, it tastes disgusting to me, personally. It's a shame since I hear it has health benefits, but oh well.

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Hey, I'm a tea drinker! I started drinking tea when my doctor told me I was drinking waaay too much Pepsi:oops:. My favorite is Earl Grey black, no decaf. I've gotten addicted to Passion Fruit & Papaya black tea. I was given a gift of Jasmine tea, loose leaf, after I baked some chocolate chip cookies for a friend.

I tried the green tea, hot but I didn't like it. My oldest son drinks it cold. I haven't tried it that way yet. There are a lot of antioxidants in green tea and its very diuretic.

I love to make me a hot cup of tea and sit outside listening to my wind chimes. My neighbor and I often will sit outside and chat with our tea mugs in hand.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I love tea, but I like the herbal teas and green teas. I don't like black tea very much, it's too bitter.

For those of you who say you don't like green tea, try mixing it with something like mint, lemon or chamomile. Green tea isn't nearly as strong as black tea, so if you mix it with a nicely fragrant herbal tea it has more flavor. I usually use 3 teabags in a 16 oz mug. I love Sleepytime by Celestial Seasonings, Mint Medley and I Love Lemon by Bigelow. Also, Celestial Seasonings has seasonal teas - I love the ones they have at Christmas time - I think one was called Sugar Plum and another is Gingerbread Spice - yummy.

There's just something about holding a hot cup and sipping a fragrant tea. It's so soothing and relaxing. And in the summer, nothing is more refreshing and thirst quenching that an ice cold glass of sweet tea.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I like hot tea better than cold tea; but in the summer, i do enjoy an ice cold glass of iced tea. I really like iced tea with a dab of pineapple juice added into it. it gives the tea an almost tropical flavor. Someplace that i went to had mango ice tea, and that was also delicious.
    For hot tea, I like Earl Grey the best (love the fragrance of the bergamot !), and I also enjoy Constant Comment with the orange peel and spices in it.
    I also tried green tea and was not impressed; but i do like mint tea, (and my mint is coming up) so I will give it a try with the mint in it.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Sometimes I'll drink tea instead of coffee for a day or two, and when I'm not feeling well, I usually opt for tea.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

One cup of coffee in the morning, and then maybe two cups of tea throughout the day. I too love Constant Comment. It's one of my favorites, along with Earl Gray. I like it really hot, really strong and really white .
    I tried Green tea, and it IS very bitter. My daughter said she doesn't let the tea steep for more than 2-3 minutes and she never lets the water boil, because green tea is temperamental, and the higher temperature of the water brings out the bitterness of the tea. I haven't tested this. I gave up after that first bitter cup! LOL

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We enjoy a cup of tea now and then, both regular tea and herbal varieties, Constant comment is a favorite here too. I like Earl Grey but my wife doesn't.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Registered

Ooh, I'd forgotten about my Earl Grey. I try to keep some on hand, because sometimes I get a craving, and nothing else will do. I'll go through phases when that's all I'll drink, but right now I'm mainly using green.

10. Diane Lane

Registered

I do the same, Ken. I used to feel odd if I had to skip coffee for even one day, but sometimes now I go 4-5 days with just the tea, when my stomach is acting up. I always go back to the coffee, but I've cut way back on how much I make per day, and mainly just drink one huge cup of coffee per day, then switch to tea.

11. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

No coffee and no real teas for me. I like herbal teas and mint infusions. In the summertime I keep a pitcher of mint infused water in the fridge at all times. It is very refreshing. In winter I like it hot, so I dry a good bit of the peppermint from my garden to make my "tea" with then. I'm also big on lemon water--hot and cold. In the mornings a mug of hot water poured over one quarter of a squeezed lemon is my first drink of the day year round.

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I like fresh mint in both coffee and tea, as well as in water or lemonade. I don't know about the hot water with lemon (but I might test that out, Allie); but I do drink ice water wil lemon in the summertime.
    Sometimes, I put it in the Sodastream and "fizzle-ate" my water and then add the mint.
    My mint is starting to come up now, too. I just started it last year, but it should spread some this year, I hope.

Diane Lane and Allie Seay like this.
  13. Diane Lane

Registered

The mint infusions sound interesting, I might have to try making some! In college, I had a professor who would drink hot water all day. I guess he didn't like coffee or tea.

Allie Seay likes this.
  14. Diane Lane

Registered

I do my deep breathing while I'm drinking my hot tea, focusing on the aroma and warmth, it's very relaxing. Wow, 3 teabags, you like yours strong. I guess my usual cup is probably about 16 oz., too, but I must like mine very weak these days.

15. Diane Lane

Registered

That sounds like my style. Here in my 'hood, most of the neighbors sit around drinking beer or wine, but coffee or tea is more my style, unless I'm having a bit of anisette. I love the sound of the wind chimes. I don't have any outdoors right now, but need to put them back out, since it's Spring, and should be less windy now.

Von Jones likes this.