White Squirrel

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Von Jones, Oct 17, 2020.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Good for you! That's [obviously] the right thing to do.

The farm next to me did some clearing several years ago and I had a second pair of displaced hawks take up residence on my property. Maybe what I took to be a mating fight was actually a territorial dispute.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Another bird story: The Bald Eagle was re-introduced into PA a number of years ago and are doing quite well thankfully with many breeding pair. I always thought of them as a noble and majestic bird but found first hand that they are also carrion feeders. While I was driving an eagle flew over my car and landed ahead on the road where lay some roadkill. I slowed and he flew away as I got closer. They are opportunist feeders too apparently.

3. Brian Naginoth

Brian Naginoth Well-Known Member
    Registered

Up here in Ontario Canada we have light gray squirrels. Have not seen a white one yet. I feed the chipmunks and birds and find it more entertaining than anything out of the studios of Disney or Marvel. The cost of whole peanuts and bird seed is about equal to one movie admission a month (if they were open). The chipmunks knock on the door and widow come feeding time to remind me if I forget. They also pass on the peanuts to listen and dance when I give impromptu harmonica concerts outside. They wait until the music stops. A good way to cope with perpetual lock down.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I agree.

I used to have many different types of bird feeders set up to attract many different types of birds. For some reason I've not seen lots of chipmunks in Virginia, but they were plentiful when we vacationed in Michigan.

I cracked up when you said you were playing the harmonica for the chipmunks.

[​IMG]

Next we want pics of everyone in a hula hoop.