Whistling-ringing In The Ear

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Well let me know if you find a cure @Cody Fousnaugh because I'm lived with "noise" in my ears for years now and nothing has worked for making it go away for good.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Walgreen's have a product called Stop Ringing in either ear drops or tablets that we found inside their store. It's not 100% guaranteed to work and can take up to 60 days to find out (after taking it).

Then there is a Hearing Aid, made especially for this problem.

I will take the rest of the steroid inflammation med I was given first, then see a Audiologist to test my hearing and see what he/she says. Then, may try the Stop Ringing product. If the med and Drops fail, will really consider the Hearing Aid.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have a high-pitched ringing in my ears that I am mostly unaware of. Whenever I think of it, its there but I mostly don't notice it. There are times when it's annoying but it's not debilitating.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Update:

PCP gave me a prescription for Prednisone of which has made my distant eyesight somewhat blurry. I read that Prednisone can/does do this and many folks have had to stop taking this med due to this. The prescription was for 10 days and it's gone now. I just got a new pair of glasses in January. Due to being a Diabetic II, my eyesight got a little worse over the last year. I firmly feel that the Prednisone is the cause of the "now" blurriness I'm having, not the new glasses. Anyway, have to schedule an appt. with eye doctor and see what he says.

Done some research on a vitamin supplement called Lutein for Eye Health. Excellent reviews on the product. Bought a bottle last night. Some people say "contact your PCP before starting a new vitamin supplement", but who wants to contact their doctor every time they decide to try something new? For some folks, seeing their PCP costs them!

Boy, first the whistling in the ear and now some blurry vision. Old/older age sure isn't as fun as some say it is!

5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh - how are the ears though - any better ?
    I take Lutein too - have noticed a difference

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, it's one ear and not any better.
    What's you dosage for the Lutein?

7. Patsy Faye

Registered

The ones I take have Bilberry added with Lutein
    Each softgel provides 20 mg of standardized bilberry extract and 6 mg of lutein

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We bought the Lutein only. Haven't opened the bottle yet. Want to see if we can get one with both Lutein and Bilberry Extract. Guess the combo is better than just taking Lutein only.
    Whichever we use, wife will use it also.
    Do you take 1 capsule daily or 1 capsule 3 times a week?

9. Patsy Faye

Registered

I take one daily, just before or after me din dins :p

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just found out that a lot of folks with diabetes highly recommend taking Lutein for eye care/vision. Wife and I sure wish we'd known this months ago.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

First: We took back the bottle of Lutein we had. Bought a bottle of GNC Bilberry Extract & Lutein. Read, and it's on the bottle as well, "Proven Superior Absorption" over the regular Lutein. Wife and I are both taking this now.

Second: Got a thorough eye exam, including diabetic eyesight and pupil dilation, yesterday. This due to taking the prescription Prednisone (ear whistling), no longer taking, and now some blurring in distant sight. Doctor told me that the Prednisone raised my blood sugar so much, that it caused the blurriness. No serious problems with eyes, other than typical "age" related stuff that require my prescription glasses. He told me that the Bilberry Extract & Lutein is fine for me to take. I checked my blood sugar this AM and it was 215. My normal is around 150. Yesterday I took all of my Metformin and it's so high because the Prednisone is still in my system. I'm increasing my Metformin to 200mg daily, as suggested by my VA doctor anyway.

So, hopefully, in a week or so, this blurriness will be gone.

13. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

i have tinitus in both ears that caused me to go deaf in one ear and hard of hearing in the other --i worked in a woolen factory for 5 and a half years then got menieres disease--i just got use to the buzzing so it dont bother me

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I was wondering if Cody might have Meniere's Disease, bu he didn't comment on any dizziness or vertigo.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Still have ringing going on, but it just doesn't distract me.

Just read, online yesterday, that Huey Lewis, lead singer of Huey Lewis and the News, has announced that he has Meniere's Disease and may never sing again. He had to cancel a number of concerts on his current Tour, due to this.

In April 2016, it was announced that Brian Johnson, lead singer for AC/DC had quit touring with the group due to total hearing loss. He had been replaced by Axl Rose of Guns and Roses band.

Guess these singers can't wear one of those hearing aids that fits, almost unseen, inside the ear.