Whistling-ringing In The Ear

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

The dropper was clean, however, I've read online that olive oil only works on the wax buildup and helping an infection, not the whistling in the ear. I also read that olive oil can go rancid in the ear therefore use purified olive oil.
    I've only done this treatment once (just now) and still have the whistling in that ear. I read that it takes more than one treatment. I also read that some home remedies can actually make a problem worse rather than better.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I've only heard good things on olive oil - best leave it then, never heard of it going rancid in the ear :eek:
    It was worth a try, if I had that, I would try it
    Hope you get some help soon

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Doc James

Doc James Veteran Member
    Registered

the ringing in your ears or tinnitus may be due to the loud noises during the competition. This is usually due to the changes in the noise levels, and mst of the time if its above the range of the noise level our ears can tolerate, this results to decrease hearing or ringing in our ears. try to check with your PCP because they may be able to check your ear, and they could also be able to advise hyou of your next step. Just try to avoid manipulating your ear, and prevent any activities that could have change in atmospheric pressure such as diving and b ungee jumping. getting on an airplane may also be a concern that should have a go signal from your doctor. I do hope you feel better soon

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Seeing a PCP this AM about the ear. There is OTC medicine, I found online, at Walgreens and other drug stores that is specifically for what I have, but they do say to consult with a PCP before using.

Home remedies are always nice to try/use if they work and don't make the problem worse.

5. Patsy Faye

Registered

Let us know how you get on Cody

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

The doctor tested my hearing with a prong tool in which I could hear the humming noise all the way until it ended. Obviously better in my right ear than my left, where the whistling is coming from. He used an ear scope type thing to look in both ears and told me they both looked fine. He noticed that I take an omeprazole acid reflux tab daily, first thing in the AM, and said that could be the reason behind the whistling. So, he gave me a prescription (Ranitidine) for acid reflux tablet to try. And, he gave me a prescription for Prednisone (an anti-inflammatory) to take for 10 days. He will also have a Ear, Throat and Nose Testing place call me to make an appointment. From what I remember, I haven't had a hearing test in years. I know I've had one, but sure can't remember when it was. If I need a follow-up with this doctor, the Ear/Throat/Nose doctor will let him know.

Actually, I couldn't believe all the sick people that were in the Waiting Area. One older guy even had a surgical mask on and kept coughing like mad. Two other ladies were also coughing, but not like the guy was. I thought to myself, "I come here with an ear problem and leave with a serious cold and/or phenomena. Hopefully, not really, but...........

So, wife and I will play the "waiting game" to see what happens with these new meds. If we go anywhere within the next 10 days or so that is noisy, I will have those soft foam plugs in my ears (and my wife told me "I will to").

Patsy Faye likes this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

This is why I picked a Medicare Advantage plan @Cody Fousnaugh I am losing some of my hearing and my plan covers seeing a Doctor who specializes in this. Regular Medicare does not cover this or regular vision exams or anything on regular prescription glasses...nor does regular Medicare cover dental. My Advantage plan covers hearing with just a copay. Vision is covered at no copay and $200 towards glasses each year. Dental is optional for $17.30 a month but covers x-rays, two cleanings a year, etc. at no cost and no copay. And discounts on other dental work.

Von Jones likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Medicare will cover one vision exam a year for both of us because we are both Diabetic II. Medicare won't cover glasses, but will cover that exam. I just had an exam and got new glasses, but we are both on my wife's job vision plan. We both also have dental insurance from her job, but it doesn't pay much. As far as the hearing exam goes, the doctor I just seen told me Medicare will pay for that because it will be a referral from a PCP. If I was to go on my own for a hearing exam, Medicare wouldn't pay.

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, that's what I said...you have to get a referral from your PCP.

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, all the Plans are big on referrals. And yes Cody I think Medicare will cover a vision exam if you have a disease that affects your vision. In fact I'm pretty sure I read that Medicare will even cover one pair of glasses if you have to have cataract surgery. But they don't cover regular vision exams or glasses or regular hearing exams...it has to be that they would be checking for some kind of hearing disease.

11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I thought it covered an ophthalmologist but not an optometrist. My last vision exam was before Medicare and my vision didn't change and I don't have cataracts yet but I'm due for another eye exam I think...

I have a fairly quiet month ahead, after I do what I have to do at home I think I'll look through my freebie catalogue since I am home and don't have to worry about deliveries coming and I'm not here.

12. Patsy Faye

Registered

At least you're getting somewhere now Cody :)

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, we are glad that I went to the doctor.
    I still have the whistling in the ear, but I shouldn't expect to get rid of it in one day of dosage. I have 12 days of dosage to take. I'm going to check into a few Ear Ringing products sold at Walgreens, CVS and Walmart. These products are recommended only after seeing a doctor and using as an addition to a prescription given by him/her.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    You have not had ringing before? Tinnitis. And you have been a shooter for a long time? You never shot firearms in the past without hearing protection? Forgive the heavy questioning, but it's pertinent to analysis. I shot thousands of rounds of BIG caliber for years. My hearing went down the "tubes", presumedly due largely to that fact. Have had tinnitis almost all my life. It never bothered me, no problems when drifting off to sleep, etc.

If this hearing anomalie is new to you, I feel for your discomfiture. Would that IU could go back in time and be more careful, had I known then, my own ringing might be less today.
    Frank

Patsy Faye likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I've been around loud noise quite a bit in my life, including the Navy where, during GQ, I was a Pointer for the Forward 5" Gun and had Small Arms Training onboard ship. Use to go on the fantail/stern of the ship on Sunday afternoons and shoot clays at sea. I wore transmitting muffs inside the big gun, but could still hear it go off. While shooting clays, had ear protection on also. Like I have stated before, a number of my previous jobs were around loud machinery, including forklifts, but some of those jobs required me to wear the small foam ear plugs. Didn't start going to a Range until 2004, when we bought a Ruger 10-.22 rifle. Have had a membership with our Range since 2009. Have a little "ringing in the ears" episodes during those times, but hold my nose/closing my mouth and blowing got rid of the ringing. This time, that didn't work. And, no, have never shot firearms w/o hearing protection. BTW, we don't hunt, just go to a Target Range.

My sleep doesn't seem to be bothered, that much anyway. Went to a movie last night and, for the first time in my life, wore foam ear plugs. Had a little bit of a hard time hearing the movie, so loosened up the right ear plug and I was fine.

Hope I don't have this problem for the rest of my life, but will continue to treat it and see what happens. I now have higher-end Electronic Ear Muffs that I'll be wearing while at the Range.

Frank Sanoica likes this.