Whirlwind

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Frank Sanoica, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Novel by James Clavell, who evidently is widely acclaimed, though I didn't know that. Fictional historical novel, taking place in 1979, beginning just as the Ayatollah Kohmeini has returned to Iran from exile in Spain. The King, the Shah of Iran, an educated man schooled in America is Boss in Iran. He did institute much change for the better, but was dying of cancer, and thus was deposed, to leave and seek asylum, aided by Henry Kissinger, our Secretary of State. Upon the Ayatollah's return, enormous numbers of Shah-hating Iranians embraced his presence. His return motorcade in Tehran caused tumult unimaginable: he was being driven in a Chevy van, young men clambering to purchase hold upon it, they were ridden over as they fell off, tens of thousands of people encroaching upon the motorcade with hopes of seeing or touching the living God.

Meanwhile, the Iranian oilfields which were most important to UK, and others, were being administered by teams of UK servicemen, mainly using helicopters. Many had their families with them. The peril to all of them was ever-present. Some fled, upon Kohmeini's return. Many remained.

That's how far I've gotten. Page 50. The book is huge, 1400 pages, that entire time frame encompassing only 24 days!

I vividly recall those turbulent times, which America's acceptance of the Shah's presence caused the taking of the unfortunate hostages, as the Ayatollah had warned, and the long interval during which those folks' lives hung in suspense. I didn't understand it then, and I don't understand it now. Perhaps I never will.

Or, if I keep plugging along at this book, I might finish it with understanding.
    Frank

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Frank...you write like a professional writer! Succinct phrasing, great vocabulary, strong presentation...just a pleasure to read, whatever the topic!

Harold I. Pollner

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner
    Thank you for the compliment! Actually, I've always enjoyed writing, much more than conversing, as I am introverted and became pretty shy and bashful after returning to the 8th. grade after burning my face, returning to the taunts of classmates.......surrounded by strangers I thought were my friends......

I could never spin a yarn. Required course in technical college, "Technical English", imposed restraints and required usages of verbs sounding stilted, but intended to convey absolute meanings, as needed for technical manuals and such.

Frank