Which Lasts Longer Desk Top Or Laptops

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Krissttina Isobe, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:I would like to own a computer one day. Which lasts longer desk tops or laptops? I like both to use if the laptop is big enough, say a 15" laptop seems to feel right for me. I would like to know what experiences you've had with your pc too.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a desktop with 19" monitor, a Kindle with a 7" screen and a Tablet with a 10" screen (+camera). I use and enjoy all..

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is very similar to what I have , @Ken N Louis . Like you, I use them all, and really like them all.
    My desktop is a Dell XPS-18, and it is actually a combination of computer and tablet. It is able to do anything that any other desktop can do; but it also has a touchscreen, so it can be used like a tablet (albeit a huge one !) if you want to carry it around.
    It has a pedestal which also charges it, and comes with a cordless keyboard and mouse. While the 18" screen is large enough to see most everything, you can also stretch things to magnify them just like you can on a tablet.
    It will run any program that any regular computer does, but it also can use apps, like a tablet. It is called an "All-in-one", and if a person was going to get just one device, then this would be an excellent choice. The older models (which is what I now have) are only around $300 on Amazon, so even a reasonable price.

My iPad is what I use most of the time. I have the keyboard case; so I do not have to type on the virtual keyboard, and a lap desk; so this makes the iPad almost like having a mini-laptop.
    The iPad is awkward for reading because of the keyboard case; so I got a Kindle Fire from eBay, and I use that when I am going to be mainly reading something, either a book or a webpage with a lot of information.
    The Kindle has what is called the "reading view", which makes any webpage look like a book, and easier to read.

I also have an iPhone, which I seldom use for anything besides phone calls and taking pictures with. However, it can also be used to go online and to read books with the Kindle app or iBooks. I seldom do that somply because of its small size.

So, each one has its place; but if I could only have one, it would be the iPad.

4. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I used a desk top computer when I went sailing because you can get parts any where and are interchangeable. the laptops are a little more difficult to find parts unless you have access to a large market this also goes for tablets. Now I have a laptops because the price has came down so much that I can afford to replace it every two years.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

In answer to your question Krissttina , without doubt a desktop is much better and longer lasting than any laptop...and is much more easily repaired if it goes wrong.

I have a MAC...desktop with a 24 inch flat screen monitor ...I have a 18 inch screen Toshiba Satellite laptop which is Microsoft ..

I also have an Iphone 6...and at Christmas I'm being given a new Kindle Paperwhite from daughter ...and an Ipad from my o/h...

Hubs says he's just gonna name me Gloria Gadget from now on LOL,

6. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

When I used to have a desktop, I had to buy a new one regularly, but since I moved to have a full-time laptop, I found laptops are lasting more than desktops in my personal perception.

However this may have a logical explanation; I got my first computer back in 1989 and it was kind a toy; an Atari XT first, then moved to an Atari ST that had an operating system similar to Mac computers of those days, probably because it share the same processor, a Motorola 68000.

The fact is that my first desktop PC came until 1992, and throughout the 90s I had about 3 or 4 computers, but I guess this was more likely because I was changing them due to evolving technology and unwillingness to upgrade, bur rather buy a new one, plus the fact that those old computers used to consume excess energy, including monitor using as much electric power as the computer alone.

However the short-lasting computer story remained the same throughout the early years of the 21st century, having to buy new computers every 1-2 years because literally they were burned out, mainly those with AMD processors that used to overheat. Since 1999, I began to use the computer for 12 hours or more a day.

When I got my first laptop in 2006, it served me for 6 years before it was totally worn out. I bought a second laptop as backup for the first in 2008, and these lasted only 4 years, but I think it was due to being a Acer that proved to be really bad as per online feedback found when I went for third and actual laptop; an HP that has been with me for the past two years and works like new still, and yet I keep using the computer for over 12 years, and sometimes it stays turned on 24 hours a day.

However I don't use a laptop to move around, this is what my tablet is for, so lhe laptop is sitting on my desktop full-time, with attached USB mouse and keyboard to work with ease. The only problem I found with laptop is that the built-in keyboard is too small for my typing skills, and the touch-pad really inaccurate if you need precise mouse movements.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, with our desktop, wife and I were able to add an additional CD/DVD Player and more RAM (memory). When we lost our Internet connection, we bought a USB Internet Connection and plugged it into the back of the Tower and got our Internet back. I can unhook everything from the back of our Tower, put the Tower on table on patio, unscrew/take off the one side and use Cleaning Duster to clean the inside of the Tower. Put the side back on, put Tower back under computer desk and hook everything back up.

If something needs to be done inside of a laptop, it would have to be taken into a repair area to be done by a Tech. However, we did take out an accessible RAM (memory) from our laptop and install a larger GB of RAM.

But, with a laptop, it can go with you when you travel.

8. Yvonne Smith

A desktop is only good in one place, unlike a laptop, which is portable. @Krissttina Isobe , I know you said that you do not have home internet access, and have to go somewhere to use a computer.
    Considering that, a desktop would not be helpful for you except for things you might do that did not involve being online, unless you also paid for internet access to be able to use it.
    The laptop would at least be portable (although still heavy to carry), and you could use it at places that have Internet connection available for free.
    For some people, packing around a laptop is not a problem; but for me, at my age and health, it is; and that is one of the reasons that I love the iPad so much. Besides being much simpler to use, it is also very small, lightweight, and easy to carry around.
    Since you are still working on the decision, it might help to make a list of desktop, laptop, and tablet, and then write the benefits and drawbacks of each, as it pertains to your needs.

9. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a desktop computer in my bedroom and a 17 inch screen laptop I usually use and also a 15 inch laptop I travel with. My daughter gave me a 10 inch tablet but it was apple (mac) and I just got frustrated trying to learn to use it so I gave it back. So far I don't have a smart phone like everyone else I know.

10. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I feel its often down to luck, I have a friend with a 13 year old Acer laptop running XP and it does all she wants, emails/browsing/banking so she sees no reason to change it.

I have a 5 year old Samsung netbook and a couple of Desktops at home, which have both had new hard drives and are each around 6 years old.
    In Russia I mainly use a 12 month old Chromebook which works well for me............the one thing I must have is a mouse, I can't get on with touchpads at all.
    I use tablets for basic browsing and watching movies but they are too fiddly for me to do much else, but when on the move I manage somehow. ;)

11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm the same Terry...I have too much electricity in my body for touch pads to work comfortably...so when I first got my Apple iphone I had to have a stylus to make it work..(unlike my blackberry which has a qwerty keyboard)....I can use it better now, but it still drives me nuts sometimes..and I've still got my stylus when I need it.

Same with my lappy..I always have to have a Mouse attached..touch pads just don't respond for me..

BTW as mentioned further back in the thread..I've now got my kindle and my Ipad Air 2 which I opened before waiting for Santa when they arrived.. :D ...so I'm officially Gloria Gadget now LOL.. :D

12. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess you need a gadget bag next Gloria

[​IMG]

13. Yvonne Smith

My oldest son, Tony, just sold his iPad Mini to Robin when we were out in Washington. She has the larger iPhone and has not had an iPad for the last couple of years; but she said there are some things that it is easier to do with the iPad .
    Tony has now ordered the new iPad Pro, along with the case and probably the Apple Pencil; so I am waiting to hear what he thinks about that when it arrives.
    He has read all of the reviews, and thinks it should be perfect for what he needs. He also has the large iPhone, and can do the simple stuff with that, and then when he is doing the technical things, or just something where he needs to be able to stretch the screen a lot to see detail, then he will have the larger iPad to use for that.
    I think that both of them still have their large Mac desktop computers that they use for work; but otherwise they both do everything with the iPhone or iPad , just like I do.
    With the advances of tablets, and the merging of tablets and computers, I think that before long the awkward desktop will be totally obsolete, and we will all use a portable device.

14. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

My husband is presently evaluating on what to buy as replacement for his home computer - a laptop or another desktop? His main concern is the cost and the convenience. The laptop is more expensive but portable which is ideal since he can use it anywhere particularly when we go on vacation. However, the desktop is more convenient with the big monitor which gives him a good view of the video when he does video editing and even picture editing. For already a month, he remains undecided until now.

15. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I really think that both types have their advantages... but since you asked about longest lasting, I'd have to (by personal experience *only*) say a desktop. I usually have desktops for at least 8 years... probably longer. Going on 12 for this one I'm using.

Laptop, on the other hand, has had to be replaced twice already in 5 years, and it's supposed to be a good one.