Where Would You Retire If You Could Live Anywhere?

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Kevin Matthew, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Kevin Matthew

Kevin Matthew Veteran Member
    Registered

If you had the chance to retire anywhere, and money was no object, where would you retire? I know it's not the reality for most of us, but thought it might be interesting to compare thoughts.

I think if someone gave me a free place to live, I'd either live in a penthouse in Manhattan, or maybe Paris. Both cities have great transit and would be relatively easy to get around without needing to drive.

Where would you retire?

2. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I would like to get away from city life and settle in or close to a small coastal town surrounded by countryside. It would need to have a good local transportation system so I can get around the area easily.

I intend to spend more time outdoors when I retire, but I would also like to be in a community where I could socialize, do some volunteer work, learn some new crafts or improve my artistic ability.

3. Kevin Matthew

Registered

It seems that transportation is the key for both of us... I guess when self-driving cars are finally a reality, I wouldn't have to live in a city, and could enjoy living near the ocean or in the country!

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I lived in Western Washington, I was only an hour or so away from the ocean, and I just loved driving out and spending the day walking on the beach. There were beautiful little towns along the highway as I drove out to Long Beach or Ocean Shores.
    One of my favorites was a larger town, Astoria, Oregon. It is one of the most picturesque towns I have even been in, and I always said that if I could just pick a place to live,and move there, it would be Astoria, or the nearby area..
    The moviie, "Short Circuit" was filmed around Astoria. The Columbia river empties into the ocean there, and there is an enormous bridge that goes across from Washington to Oregon.

As far as me actually moving there; it is not likely to ever happen. I like living here where I am closer to my daughter; but Astoria is just one of those places that touched my soul, and I fell in love with the area.

5. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

This is an easy question for me - I would retire to a sailboat and sail down the Intracoastal Waterway and eventually end up in Belize. My husband and I are not-so-intrepid sailors, who love the water. From what we've heard and read, Belize is near perfect - beautiful weather (ranging from a low of about 50 to a high of around 90), crystal blue water and it's relatively inexpensive, if you stay away from the tourist areas. The people are tolerate of Americans and most speak English. It's a laid back, easy going country. Also, the scuba diving is supposed to be world class - spectacularly stunning.

Hopefully, one day we will be aboard, sailing from port to port and moving on when the whim hits us.

6. Kevin Matthew

Registered

Yvonne and Mel:

Both places sound amazing! The little town in Washington sounds wonderful.. I can understand why it would be a dream location.

And Mel, I've never been to Central or South America, but have heard amazing things about some of the countries down there. Going by boat would be a great adventure - perfect for retiring.

7. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

I think I would settle for living in a Caribbean island. I would just love to be surrounded by the sea, and always have good weather.

8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Is there any where that doesn't have natural disasters? I haven't heard of any. My husband would like to take me to Italy he says I would like it. I dunno 'bout dat'. I've been a homebody forever. I've never fantasized about being any place other than home. I hate moving too. When we sit and watch travel shows it's hard to imagine actually living in other countries, cities because it's always about touristing, if there is such a word.

I think that I would like to live an Amish life though or something along those lines.

Jenn Windey likes this.
  9. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

All of your dream destinations sound like places I would enjoy visiting.

But for me, I wouldn't have to go that far. I would love to live deep in the thick forest of N.E. Texas. I've had sun poisoning since my mid 20's, so the cool shaded forest would be just the place for me. I studied horticulture for three years, and I would love to discover all the different plants of the forest up there.

But, my family lives here in Houston, and life wouldn't be the same without them.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

Is Disney World an option? I would so love to live there if I could afford it. More likely though I will retire to someplace more country and less urban. I have had enough of city and suburbia . If it was not about being able to get to work everyday i would definitely be on a mountainside somewhere , maybe a country plot off a road not to traveled. I don't know how I would adjust at first because I am so used to going to the store on my way home from work. I know that comes from having to be out and about, but if I was retired I can assure you I would not feel the need to run all over the place like I do now.

I like the idea of the south, except for the hurricanes, tornadoes and alligators amongst other things. I thought maybe Arizona but man it is hot and thats a whole different gardening experience. I think Iceland might be nice, but I have never been there so I am only guessing from pictures. Overall I like the four seasons, I think I would miss snow. I just don't want to shovel it anymore.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Based on one experience on a Caribbean cruise, if I could afford anything, I think I wouldn't mind living on a cruise ship full time, except for not being able to have my cats, of course.

12. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't have a particular place in mind but I would probably be on tour with my family, hopping from one tourist spot to another, spending in places i only saw in pictures and in my dreams. It has been my long time dream to see the architectural beauty of cathedrals , museums, and ancient places i read only in books.

13. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

My dream location had been Thailand ever since I first visited it in 1987. The weather is perfect, the food fantastic and the people are extremely hospitable. So, in 2008, when I left the business world I came here and have no regrets! My little paradise!

14. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Whenever we would go to a nice place, my husband and I would always talk about a dream of retiring there. Like Tagaytay where the climate is cool or in our latest trip to Batanes where the greenery is the order of the day and the province boasts of zero crime rate. There's also that place in Coron, Palawan where we went to an island and it's nice to dream of living there.

But come to think of it. Where should we retire? Where else but in our present home. Although the cool weather of the province is nice, we would not be at peace there simply because we were not from there. So that's it, those are just dreams of retiring but in reality, our retirement home is our home now.

15. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know if you are aware of The World, Ken. It is a cruise ship you can live on year round. I saw it in port at Port Canaveral.

Yvonne Smith likes this.